Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was browsing the Pet section of Craigslist......yes, I like to torture myself. :(

I just simply cannot believe the ignorance of some people. One add listed "two chua dotson mix dogs." Seriously? :confused: I assume they must be talking about a chihuahua/dachshund cross.

Another was talking about a "Chawawa mix."

Still another posted about a "medium haired chiua." That one had a photo. It looked like a pretty inbred SC, who is "frendly, housebroke."

One would think, if a person was going to OWN a dog, they would AT LEAST figure out how to spell the name of the breed. But obviously that's a bit too ambitious for some folks.

<sigh> Why do I punish myself this way? :(

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Ours is the same.
Most ads sound so sad because the people seem so uninformed (I am being nice).
I swear if I did not work FT, I would start rescuing Chis there and getting them transported to areas in need/want of Chis. People who would take care of them.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
oh gosh. I know exactly what you mean. Sad isn't it?! The Datsun for dachshund. OMG, if you can't even spell the breed you have?! What? lol

I remember one lady we met years ago that was out walking her bichon frise. I commented on what a nice looking dog she was and the lady says proudly - she's a BITCHIN FRIZZY. OMG. I about DIED. I was like "oh ok." HA HA HA HA. Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have seen they same exact thing on CL and me and my mom just laughed at it. I actually email one told the the correct way to spell it. Its sad to realize the level of ignorance of the general public.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, I think it might be worse in the South, where I live. I'm not southern, I'm a transplant here from California a few years ago, and it was an unpleasant surprise to discover that ******** really DO exist, and are not just some figment of a humor writer's over-zealous imagination! :(

I had a conversation some time back with a woman who noticed I was buying a chihuahua mug. She asked if I had one. I said yes. She then proceeded to "educate" me about chihuahuas.....I could not believe the sheer volume of misinformation that sprouted from this woman's mouth, complete with a liberal sprinkling of "y'all", and "bless her heart" and "I din't know whut she had done done!" She talked about her micro-mini chaweewee (I kid you not!) and then informed me in a somewhat condescending tone that "y'all won't find many chaweewees that durn small!" and how she was "breeded speshul" and whom it turned out was around 9 lbs....not even the high end of the standard. Wonder what she'd have thought if I mentioned my two, whose combined weights don't even equal her Daisy's total weight! And how she was a "ratter" (chased rats) and a barn dog and "bes' durn watchdog ah evuh did have"....she apparently spent her life outside :( Oh! And how "we didn't get her spaded because everyone knows they'll get fat as the side of a barn if we done got her fixed, so we din't."

:dontknow: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Honestly, I think it might be worse in the South, where I live. I'm not southern, I'm a transplant here from California a few years ago, and it was an unpleasant surprise to discover that ******** really DO exist, and are not just some figment of a humor writer's over-zealous imagination! :(

I had a conversation some time back with a woman who noticed I was buying a chihuahua mug. She asked if I had one. I said yes. She then proceeded to "educate" me about chihuahuas.....I could not believe the sheer volume of misinformation that sprouted from this woman's mouth, complete with a liberal sprinkling of "y'all", and "bless her heart" and "I din't know whut she had done done!" She talked about her micro-mini chaweewee (I kid you not!) and then informed me in a somewhat condescending tone that "y'all won't find many chaweewees that durn small!" and how she was "breeded speshul" and whom it turned out was around 9 lbs....not even the high end of the standard. Wonder what she'd have thought if I mentioned my two, whose combined weights don't even equal her Daisy's total weight! And how she was a "ratter" (chased rats) and a barn dog and "bes' durn watchdog ah evuh did have"....she apparently spent her life outside :( Oh! And how "we didn't get her spaded because everyone knows they'll get fat as the side of a barn if we done got her fixed, so we din't."

:dontknow: :banghead:
I know all too well of the people you are speaking of. I grew up on a farm, i've only been off of it for 2yrs and i'm 31. Just wait until you meet one that only has two teeth, five strands of hair and spits when he talks!! :tongue3:
This man probaly could not have faughtbhis way out of a wet paper bag! I swore that day i had seen and heard it all. He was trying to tell us how to build the new barn. Not only coulmd i not understand a word he was saying, but he caled everything a 'thang-a-ma-jigger,

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know all too well of the people you are speaking of. I grew up on a farm, i've only been off of it for 2yrs and i'm 31. Just wait until you meet one that only has two teeth, five strands of hair and spits when he talks!! :tongue3:
This man probaly could not have faughtbhis way out of a wet paper bag! I swore that day i had seen and heard it all. He was trying to tell us how to build the new barn. Not only coulmd i not understand a word he was saying, but he caled everything a 'thang-a-ma-jigger,
LOL! Yeah, Mandi, I know what you're talking about. We have a few of those here in the South, too!

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Because these kinds of people are the same folks who tether their dogs outside all the time, in 100 degree weather AND 25 degree weather, who buy a 50 lb bag of the cheapest dog food sold and throw it down outside, slitting it open so the dogs can free feed. The same ones who let their dog's nails grow so long they can't walk properly, whose dogs have never seen the inside of a Vet's office, never gotten a bath, a teeth cleaning, a kind word or a hug. The same folks who will scream "SHADDUP!!!" out the window when their dog is barking from hunger, cold, loneliness, or boredom. Who are just as likely to use their gun to take care of any problems their dogs have. And then who promptly go get another animal, thinking this one will be different.

It won't. It won't if it's treated the same way as the one before. It's the treatment, NOT the dog, that created the problems to begin with. And the saddest part of all, is that some people NEVER figure out that one simple thing. NEVER. So the cycle just continues.

<sigh> Now I've really depressed myself. I think I'll go hug my dogs now.

·
Registered
371 Posts
LOL! Yeah, Mandi, I know what you're talking about. We have a few of those here in the South, too!

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Because these kinds of people are the same folks who tether their dogs outside all the time, in 100 degree weather AND 25 degree weather, who buy a 50 lb bag of the cheapest dog food sold and throw it down outside, slitting it open so the dogs can free feed. The same ones who let their dog's nails grow so long they can't walk properly, whose dogs have never seen the inside of a Vet's office, never gotten a bath, a teeth cleaning, a kind word or a hug. The same folks who will scream "SHADDUP!!!" out the window when their dog is barking from hunger, cold, loneliness, or boredom. Who are just as likely to use their gun to take care of any problems their dogs have. And then who promptly go get another animal, thinking this one will be different.

It won't. It won't if it's treated the same way as the one before. It's the treatment, NOT the dog, that created the problems to begin with. And the saddest part of all, is that some people NEVER figure out that one simple thing. NEVER. So the cycle just continues.

*hugs* I live in the south so I know what ya'll are talking about... :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Karen, that's a great idea! If I didn't work FT I'd partner with you. :) I've seriously wished that I could do stuff like that for some time now.
As to Craigslist, here in Massachusetts they usually get the spelling right, but they will call any dog with big ears a chihuahua or a chihuahua mix. I was looking at Craiglist a few months back and saw an add for a big chihuahua. In the picture was a German Shepard lying in a couch, no joke.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

Amen!!! I would hug mine but they are already stretched out all over me :D

I dont even want to get started on the roaming farm dogs i've seen. The only shelter they know is a bush or a weathered old shack that leaks when it rains :(

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Karen, that's a great idea! If I didn't work FT I'd partner with you. :) I've seriously wished that I could do stuff like that for some time now.
As to Craigslist, here in Massachusetts they usually get the spelling right, but they will call any dog with big ears a chihuahua or a chihuahua mix. I was looking at Craiglist a few months back and saw an add for a big chihuahua. In the picture was a German Shepard lying in a couch, no joke.
OMG! You cant be serious?! :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts