Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruiser is my little old soul. He is such a skittish dog and hasn't been the same since his buddy, Phoebe was killed last year. :( Maya was an addition thinking he would like the companion...not so much. Anyway, he is doing pretty well with Princess Peach being new to the house but has growled at her and done the warning snap. She is learning to leave him alone and he is learning that she isn't leaving. Maya and him get along pretty well now. Well, he tolerates her biting on him etc. and just puts up with it.
Well, on to the brag. My friend's dog is a relative of Maya and Peach and she brings Jasper over to play. Jasper is 6 months or so and a perky, friendly, curious pup. They love playing but Bruiser hates him. His fur goes up all down his back, he growls, shows his teeth, and just is so nervous. While he would never attack another dog, he would, I believe fear bite one and so I typically separate them and Maya, Peach and Jasper get to play, run, bite, wrestle, drink some water and repeat. They really have so much fun.

So, today I took Bruiser out onto the porch when the dogs were out and there, sure enough, up went the fur. I told him to relax and in a few minutes time, he started to relax a little and even ran with the other dogs when Shannon (Friend) ran and called the dogs to come. He had moments of regression but mostly seemed to be getting more confident and calm and actually seemed to almost be having fun. He at least got some good running time and didn't run to the porch to retreat. I have been so discouraged about him and am feeling that maybe there is hope. So, that is my brag on my old boy. He is 6 and acts about 16.
Thanks for letting me brag.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Aww poor little fellow.

My female Irish setter Shamelle pined for quite a long time when her father/buddy/life long companion Shamus passed.

I'm glad Bruiser is starting to get better.
Hugs for his healing heart

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It's just as hard on the dogs when they loose a friend as it is us I believe. I know when Rubi passed, Jake was VERY depresed for quite a while, he wouldnt eat, drink, just walked around with his ears down, tail down, sluggish. You could just tell he was depressed.

I'm so glad to hear your little man had some fun, at least it shows there is still hope! He'll come around, you just have to give it some time! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts