Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Cocoa's Mom, if you are interested in CET products to try out on your Chi, I'll send you a CET dental pack from our hospital. Just PM me with your address, and I'll send it to you.

I also use CET products, their finger brush (non-rubber) is AWESOME. It's basically a tiny toothbrush, with a little holder for your finger. They have poultry flavored toothpaste which also works great, and their CET chews have enzymes that help break up tarter. Wow I could work for them.

It's a great idea to brush your chi's teeth on a normal basis, it doesn't necessarily have to be daily although it would be nice, weekly is sufficient if you do a good job. This helps keep tartar at bay, and increase the life of the teeth and reduce risk of periodontal disease.

I've found the best way to put the dogs in a towel "burritto" and lay them across my lap on their back, and just have a go at it. Brush the outsides first, then the backs and crowns of the back teeth (these decay first!). Also make sure the canines are brushed well, since those always "look clean" but usually arent.

·
Registered
518 Posts
ilovesadie said:
I've found the best way to put the dogs in a towel "burritto" and lay them across my lap on their back, and just have a go at it.
AH - HA! A puppy burrito! That's how you do it. I can't hold Frasier down or headlock him either. My last dog was big. I could lay on her if I had to in order to hold her down for ear or teeth cleaning. But this little guy wiggles so much he hurts himself if I don't let go and obviously I can't lay on him. I'm gonna have a tightly wrapped Frasier burrito this afternoon. lol :D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
ilovesadie said:
Cocoa's Mom, if you are interested in CET products to try out on your Chi, I'll send you a CET dental pack from our hospital. Just PM me with your address, and I'll send it to you.
Can I have one, too? (when I get my furbaby?) pleeeaseee? :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget loves to brush his teetj.. All i have to do is say "do you want to brush your teeth?" and he gets all excited... I get the tooth brush and paste out and he sits on my chest(I usually lye on my back on the bed) and he letss me brush his teeth... It is so easy.. I wish it was as easy to teach amanada to brush her teeth when she was little...

I give the CET chews to gadget... he loves them...

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
dori how long does it take gadget to eat a whole chew stick?? chiwi chews on that thing a lot but it takes her almost 2 weeks to eat one! and she don't swallow none of the pieces she chews of, she spits them out and hides them under her sheet on her bed lol! i've been picking little chew pieces out of her fur the passed few days and when i went to wash the bedding that is when i noticed her bed is full of crumbs!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
My Deano's teeth are so white, i checked his teeth when we was buying him and they were so sparkly! He loves like the bones that look and feel abit like plastic, but he is still in the middle of eating one but its taken him about 2 weeks to get through half of it. Can you get them CET chews in the Uk do you know as i am interested?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Luv, It depends on how much he chews on them.. Lately he hasn't chewed on them but a few minutes at a time... but there are nights he chews on them for hours... I have noticed that he gets really thirsty when he chews on them... He has chewed one up in a couple days before and then again sometimes it takes him a week or so... It all depends on how much he sucks on his blankie... He has those nights he just wants to lye there and suck his blankie...

Thank god he has stopped that 11pm zoomie thing he was doing there for a while... Now I can give him his chew or a rope bone or his blanket and he forgets about his 11pm zoomies...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
they are a wonderful thing... Gadget will only chew on his when we are in bed watching tv at night.. he won't chew on it any other time....

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
one word about the cet chews, they are stinky!!! vic i'll bring you one for bindi and one for kemo on sunday and see if they like them.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I used to put Lily in a headlock, holding her against my left side with my left arm, holding her head with my left hand and brushing with my right hand. Now she's resigned to her fate :lol: and she doesn't fight it anymore.

I use CET seafood flavored toothpaste (the vet said it contains more of some beneficial enzymes than the poultry flavored) and two different brushes. I use a regular dog toothbrush for the teeth I can see and a cat toothbrush for the ones way in back. All of that followed by a squirt of doggy mouthwash. Poor Lily has to endure this each and every day, due to her very poor dental history. I will be heartbroken if she ever needs another extraction. :cry:

Don't underestimate the importance of good dental care for dogs. It is believed that Lily's tooth decay caused the infection that caused her heart murmur (if I'm stating that correctly).

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
ilovesadie said:
Rachel, spot on with the importance of clean teeth. The gums are the most overlooked entry for infectious bacteria that can cause sepsis and result in liver and heart disease (hence the heart murmur that developed).
My family always had dogs and we never once brushed their teeth. I swear I had no idea tooth decay could cause life threatening problems. Lily's first vet said we should "keep an eye on her teeth" when, in fact, she should have told me to schedule a cleaning immediately. That was never mentioned for almost an entire year. I will always wonder if more proactive treatment might have prevented the heart murmur. I don't agonize over it because what's done is done, but we no longer go to that vet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts