Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you going to be nummy today Mr. Toothbrush?

Yuck! Sometimes the first taste is not the best.

Open wide!
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I can't reach back there.

Let me do it Mommy I am a big boy!

I luvs my toothbrush.

If one toy is good 3 is better!

I think I heard my daddy's car. Did I did I?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Jaxx you good looking boy! What lovely photos!! You're so adorable. If I ever come to Texas Toby and I are going to "borrow" you. Mom won't mind ;)

Amy Jo, how did you get Jaxx to like the toothbrush so much? Toby tolerates it but I have to corner him to get him to sit still. I brush his teeth 3-5x a week. Any tips?

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jaxx you good looking boy! What lovely photos!! You're so adorable. If I ever come to Texas Toby and I are going to "borrow" you. Mom won't mind ;)

Amy Jo, how did you get Jaxx to like the toothbrush so much? Toby tolerates it but I have to corner him to get him to sit still. I brush his teeth 3-5x a week. Any tips?

I find that the best way to get Jaxx to do something or get used to something is to take him to a place where he likes but cannot get away. Our bed is perfect for this because he loves our bed but it is 30 inches off the floor and Jaxx cannot get down. I always brush his teeth on our bed.
When we first brought the toothbrush home I treated it like a toy. I let Jaxx play with it and I even played fetch with it. I started early on in an excited voice asking "do you wanna brush your teeth" so Jaxx gets excited because he thinks something good is coming. Jaxx does not like it when I actually brush his teeth but honestly he chews and gnaws enough on the toothbrush because he loves it that he does a pretty good job of brushing his teeth without me actually brushing them. I always inspect his teeth and see if there is a special area that needs attention and I will actually brush those parts but most of the time he plays with the toothbrush enough to brush them pretty well.
I always start by holding the toothbrush when it has toothpaste on it and maneuver it so that I make sure he really gets his back teeth and to make sure I do not get toothpaste all over my bed but after the toothpaste is gone I just let him sit on the bed with me and chew on it. He never chews on the middle of the toothbrush he always focuses on one end of the toothbrush or the other.
Jaxx loves his toothbrush. I usually give it to him about 5 times a week for about an hour. Jaxx had really bad breath about 6 months ago but between Fromm food and Jaxx playing with his toothbrush he doesn't have doggy breath anymore.
It would be great if you ever come to Texas. It would be so fun to see Toby and Jaxx together since they act so much alike.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Thanks. Toby likes to play with his toothbrush, but he never gets his back teeth. So I have to force my way in there to get back there. I will have to try to make it a positive experience. I have done it 3-5 times a week for one year and he still isn't fond of it.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Toby likes to play with his toothbrush, but he never gets his back teeth. So I have to force my way in there to get back there. I will have to try to make it a positive experience. I have done it 3-5 times a week for one year and he still isn't fond of it.

Jaxx takes a little time to get to his back teeth especially since he has to lick the toothpaste off first but he eventually gets to the back.
I hope you can get Toby to like brushing his teeth. It became a lot easier for me when Jaxx started liking it. Most of the time now even if I have to brush an area he will stand pretty still. He does his little aggravated "huff" but that is about it.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAHA those pics are hilarious. I'm jealous! Odie hates her toothbrush so much. I'm not giving up, but it doesn't get any easier and I really don't feel that I'm making any kind of difference at all.
I think Jaxx must be a minority for liking his toothbrush. Maybe Jaxx needs to start a toothbrushes are nummy and fun campaign.

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
BG is the worse! UGH She hates it. She says "Mama I have bones so leave me alone" LOL

Jax is such a good boy! He needs to teach my two that brushing teeth is a good thing!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts