Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow that subject makes me sound ******* LOL. Anyway I just wanted to recommend to any raw feeders; put an ad up on Craigslist to get in touch with local farmers/butchers to see how good of a deal you can get on the things that don't always make it out to your average grocery store. Of course you'll want to verify everything and everyone since there are some shady people on CL... but I hit the jackpot when I found a nice angus cattle farmer who lives 1/2 hour away that once in a while will send some in for butcher; and was willing to sell us beef HEARTS and KIDNEY for $1.25/lb. She was running errands in town this morning and actually delivered these to our door!

So, for just $20 we got **12 pounds of beef heart** and **4lbs of kidney.** in three massive frozen buckets. Heart a very nutrient rich muscle and we are thrilled to have a suppliers now as regular beef can get expensive when you're trying to make red meat take up a pretty large portion of their prey model meat.

I'd say we're stocked for a while, what do you think? ;)

(Holy &$#@, this is one whole heart. Takes up the entire icecream bucket...O_O)

We'll have a bit of trimming to do since we asked for it not to be processed at all.... but it's all still well worth it.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
OMG that thing is huge! The piece I got must have just been a section, because mine was under 2 lbs. If only I had an extra freezer, then I could stock up like you..

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL!! Well when our roommates moved out that left a whole half of the freezer that we weren't used to having, so we have a chance to stock up on things now. Come to think of it, the dogs pretty much got control of everything that the roomies had been using... including their old room. But hey to be fair the dogs do outnumber OH and I!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That's absolutely fabulous!!!!!! Yeah, that heart is big! But so are cattle! I think the smallish hearts we see at the grocery store are from calves, not full grown cattle. I think you hit the JACKPOT! Lucky dogs!! Woo Woo!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Kat, your precious dogs have something to give thanks for early, you, their Mommy! That meat looks so fresh. Hope they enjoy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts