Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Earlier this week I posted about treats and if I should start this with my dog. It was her birthday this week so I took some of the advice that was given in my previous thread. I got her some bully sticks for the first time. I made sure they are made in the US and are all natural. Dang, they are expensive. I paid 12.99 for package of six, six inch sticks. The package said for dogs up to 20 pounds so I cut one in half and it seems to be plenty for her. I finally gave her one today. She is going nuts with it! Two questions, (1) how often do you give these to your dog and (2) are they healthy and fairly low calorie? My dog is an adult and is now just under six pounds with a controlled diet (I measure her food). The way she is going at this thing, I can see that it would be good for her teeth. Thanks....again I am new to the dog scene!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hiya, yep i agree they are expensive, but i also cut mine in half so they arent too bad. I also buy in bulk which saves more money, so you could do that in future?
I give Honey one every week - she normally demolishes it in a day! I dont leave her alone with it though, just in case she chokes.
They are very low in fat, should just be pure protein!

11 calories per inch
So a 6" bully stick is approx 66 calories.

Approximate nutrition fact (may vary a bit per brand):
Protein- 80 ~ 85%%
Fat - around 2%
Moisture - 12 ~ 15%
Fibre - around 1%

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow, thank you. I bought "True Chews" brand from Pets Mart and was surprised that the nutrients aren't listed on the bag. Cut in half they are 1.00 a treat.....that's doable. She seems to chew awhile and then leave it alone so it might last. I deliberated between these and the Blue Buffalo blueberry and yogurt small dog biscuits which I have to admit sound tasty!

PS- I have two cats. Would a cat eat these? If so, is that OK?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Wow, thank you. I bought "True Chews" brand from Pets Mart and was surprised that the nutrients aren't listed on the bag. Cut in half they are 1.00 a treat.....that's doable. She seems to chew awhile and then leave it alone so it might last. I deliberated between these and the Blue Buffalo blueberry and yogurt small dog biscuits which I have to admit sound tasty!

PS- I have two cats. Would a cat eat these? If so, is that OK?
Mmm blueberry and yoghurt do sound yummy! But might be more in cals.

Yes i cant see any reason why cats cant have them, somebody correct me if im wrong :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I hear about these all the time but they don't do them in the UK that I know of. Sound pretty expensive thoug!

Hi Melissa, here is the site i buy mine from -

Mutley & Mog, Bulls' Pizzle Sticks UK

They are £23 for a bag of 50. Plus £4 postage. So thats £27 in total. If you cut the sticks in half, that means they are 27p each :) They will last for ages too!

I also get her other treats from here - the deer antler is a favourite!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Are the American Bully Sticks processed or something - I'm wondering if they're somehow different to ours because of all the stats you've got on yours.

Our "Bully Sticks" are just purely dried bull penis, unprocessed, untouched, just stretched out & dried and then cut into various lengths.

I pay $3.95 ea for a 12" but very thick, therefore full adult, sized piece.

With chew things, I don't believe they can be called treats as such because they're not chewed, swallowed & digested, rather they're chewed on for very long periods of time and they serve a valuable purpose, that is to keep the dog occupied, work & clean its teeth.

So, I have several baskets where they can "pick their own toy" (one for fluffy types, one for noisy types, one for rubber types) and then a big basket where they can "pick their own chew" and in that basket I have everything from cow hooves, to goat tendons, to bully sticks, to beef tendons, to pigs ear strips .... anything that they don't chew and swallow in one sitting per se, therefore only stuff that they chew on for days, weeks or even months. They have access to this 24/7, 365.

"Treats" such as jerky, liver, kidney, fillet etc. are given as rewards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bully Sticks and more

So, I have several baskets where they can "pick their own toy" (one for fluffy types, one for noisy types, one for rubber types) and then a big basket where they can "pick their own chew" and in that basket I have everything from cow hooves, to goat tendons, to bully sticks, to beef tendons, to pigs ear strips .... anything that they don't chew and swallow in one sitting per se, therefore only stuff that they chew on for days, weeks or even months. They have access to this 24/7, 365.
This is such a great idea! I need to do that. Where do you get your bully sticks in bulk? I buy from Best Bully Sticks and their 12" are $2.32 ea. so pretty similar to yours but they have really crazy and fun curly, braided etc ones.

Bully sticks are great for cleaning my pup's teeth but too many give her loose stools, so keep it varied. Also I heard that taking watermelons and giving the rind with 1/2 of the 'meat' still on it is a puppy favorite.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Are the American Bully Sticks processed or something - I'm wondering if they're somehow different to ours because of all the stats you've got on yours.

Our "Bully Sticks" are just purely dried bull penis, unprocessed, untouched, just stretched out & dried and then cut into various lengths.

I pay $3.95 ea for a 12" but very thick, therefore full adult, sized piece.

With chew things, I don't believe they can be called treats as such because they're not chewed, swallowed & digested, rather they're chewed on for very long periods of time and they serve a valuable purpose, that is to keep the dog occupied, work & clean its teeth.

"Treats" such as jerky, liver, kidney, fillet etc. are given as rewards.
I saw in Pets Mart that there are some bulLy sticks with other ingredients added. They tended to be cheaper. The ones I bought were pizzle and smoke flavor only. Lady chewed one and eventually ate/knawed through a 3 inch stick in 2 days. I am going to give her one a week, hopefully to help keep her teeth clean since she had a cleaning right before I got her and her teeth looks great right now. She sure seemed to view this as a treat!

By the way I hope you aren't suggesting she should not eat these, she did. It says they are 100% digestible, unlike rawhide.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I buy bully sticks from bestbullysticks.com. They are much cheaper and often have discount codes to use that are 10-15% off. Shipping is $7 but is always cheaper than buying from the store. Also, the bully sticks you buy from this site do not have anything added to them.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I buy bully sticks from bestbullysticks.com. They are much cheaper and often have discount codes to use that are 10-15% off. Shipping is $7 but is always cheaper than buying from the store. Also, the bully sticks you buy from this site do not have anything added to them.
I order from them too! Best deal around, at least in North America!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
By the way I hope you aren't suggesting she should not eat these, she did. It says they are 100% digestible, unlike rawhide.
Not suggesting that at all, I was very careful to say, "anything that they don't chew and swallow in one sitting per se" in the CHEWS BASKET - my Mastiffs would, of course, chew/swallow/digest any of those items in a matter of minutes, or even less, but they can easily be a Chihuahua Chew for months and that's why they stay fine & fresh in the baskets, because they're totally dehydrated and preserved. There's nothing to go "off" or rotten on/in any of them - some that have been chewed & sucked, dragged around and led a hard life get thrown away but, in the main, what's in the basket will last them a very, very long time.

In addition to the "Chew Basket", they also have chicken wings or necks at least twice a week and lamb ribs, pork ribs, bigger recreational beef bones etc. They'll chew & digest all but the latter.

Again, I stress that I don't see any of the foregoing as "treats" - they are an integral part of my dogs' diets and wellbeing - their mental, physical & dental health depend on them as part of their holistic health.

Treats, by definitition, to my mind at any rate, are only little tiny pieces of yuminess we give them when they've done something outstanding during training etc i.e. liver or kidney jerky etc. and are optional in the life of a dog.

Chews, to my mind, are NOT optional, they are a necessity. I'm sorry if I confused you with my weird manner of Aussie speaking, you're not alone :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hi Melissa, here is the site i buy mine from -

Mutley & Mog, Bulls' Pizzle Sticks UK

They are £23 for a bag of 50. Plus £4 postage. So thats £27 in total. If you cut the sticks in half, that means they are 27p each :) They will last for ages too!

I also get her other treats from here - the deer antler is a favourite!
Thanks for the link. I'll check those out. Spent quie a lot on treats lately so they might have to wait but I think I'll try them at some point. Thanks :eek:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
In addition to the "Chew Basket", they also have chicken wings or necks at least twice a week and lamb ribs, pork ribs, bigger recreational beef bones etc. They'll chew & digest all but the latter.
Are all these bones suitable for puppies? I want to start buying bones for Mylo but don't really know what types are good.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Yes, puppies can have all of these bones as long as they are raw. And make sure they are supervised at all times with the bones.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
hi,
i use bully sticks nearly every day. gildas teeth are beautiful thanks to them. pico still needs brushing often. both dogs love them and it helps with their need to chew.
I buy mine in bulk. usually from Pet Supplies:Discount Puppy Pads,Bully Sticks|Value Pet Supplies and sometimes from bestbullysticks.com. They used to be less than $1 each but now are about that.
Sorry i cant post links from my tablet... i need to learn that trick!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The cow hooves are pretty inexpensive, has anybody ever tried those? I did once before with Olivia and it lasted forever but they stink.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Cow hooves are easy to break teeth on- I wouldn't give them to my dogs. Someone recently posted on this forum that a cow hoof broke their chi's tooth. I can't remember who it was.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Oh ok, I didn't know they broke teeth. I bought one that one time for Olivia but never bought anmore because they stink so bad. They make the room smell like a barnyard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts