Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bella has been dragging her bum since I brought her home. She had been dewormed...supposedly, her health records indicated it, and also when we took her to the vet, he said she shold be fine but gave us 2 pills just incase. I gave her one already, but the onther one is scheduled for FEb 27th. I keep looking in her poop also, but there is no sign of anything...could this just be an itchy BUM???

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
worms

hey cherie (love your name :wink: )

cosmo also does this , especially after he pooed, i tought it were worms also, but i gave him paste,and he still does this....maybe it is just a scratchy bum or maybe i gave him not enough paste (it's really hard, because he hates it).

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
That is a classic sign that the anal glands are full. Usually the anal glands empty everytime your pup poops but sometimes they dont and if they get full its very irritating and can be painful.
A vet can empty them with no problems and its not expensive. I would take your little one to the vet to see if it is anal glands.

-Jessica

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I agree with Jessica, it's probably the anal glands. If they need expressing very often, you can do it yourself at home. Your vet should be happy to show you how to do this. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
it could also be that she likes to wipe her butt. i know someone whose dog wipes its but on the ground every time it poops.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
yeah it soes sound like her anal glands are full. the vet could check it and express them. it's a stinky procedure and some dogs don't like it too much. lol your vet will love to teach you to do it yourself just so they don't have to. the one doctor loves to try and get me to "lighten his load and express these anals real fast." HA fat chance..... my nails are long, poor things, i wouldn't want nails like this up my bum!

also some parasites aren't picked up by just looking at the poop. you might want to request a fecal screening to make sure. i would do that.

my muphin just had an itchy tushy and we ran a fecal on her and it was yeast.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Angel5218 said:
That is a classic sign that the anal glands are full. Usually the anal glands empty everytime your pup poops but sometimes they dont and if they get full its very irritating and can be painful.
A vet can empty them with no problems and its not expensive. I would take your little one to the vet to see if it is anal glands.

-Jessica

I agree! Or you can take her to a groomer to get them extracted :D

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
just wanted to mention that sometime's the anal's are infected and sometimes the groomer won't be able to tell if they are.....

(sorry that is just the mandy who works at a vet hospital coming out... to the defense of some groomers they know what they are doing and can tell infected anal juice from regular....)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
bumdragging

i went to the vet with cosmo...because he was also bum-dragging and ....yep :wink: his anal glands were full.... :lol:

kisses nat

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks... Charlie was doing that...I thought it looked funny he has a check up with the vet tomorrow so I'll ask about it.

Jessi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts