Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
i don't know if this has been asked before... but...
i was curious to find out if anyone else's chihuahua buries there food.. lol by that i mean, if he decides that he is full before his bowl is empty, he will cover it up (extremely well) with anything that he can... ex: socks, blanket, paper... whatever he can find.
any advise or comment is appreciated.
thanks to everyone in advance :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i do, but he was the first one in the house and was the only one for about a year, but has done that since he is a pup. his food is also apart from all the others cause he is the ONLY slow eater in the house... (i have 2 cats and another dog; a Labernese) but... he shares his food with the smaller kitten, the other he will let know that it is his.

·
Registered
282 Posts
for me thats totally normal, but i dont know why, mine i think its because she didnt like the food so she was still hungry and buried it, when she was really hungry i saw her eating it, the only way its making sure you chi eats at the bowl if he wants to run with food dont let him. my personal experience is this, i use to give dry food only, so i bough a can of wet food now i give dry with wet live a toping or gravy, she eats at speed of light and doesn't buries food anymore, so i think it a matter of keeping his appetite stimulated and interested, if you want to know i bough a can of Blue wilderness turkey and chicken, which last about a week the way i use it, and a can of wellness core salmon and whitefish, which its unopened yet, i bough a lid for the can and keep the can in the fridge, or a sealed food bowl works.

·
Registered
410 Posts
No but I have a cat that does that. He always has, even when he was the only one in the house.

When I looked it up when my cat started, the information I got was that this was an instinct to keep other predators from finding evidence of where he is. Not sure I buy that, but that is what I found about cats burying food. Not sure if it would be the same for dogs.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
and a can of wellness core salmon and whitefish, which its unopened yet,
Just a little funny FYI. I fed Lulu dry food for the first 4 yrs of her life, but after joning this forum and reading about food I decided to switch to wet food. I bought some 5 star canned food and bought several different kinds so she could have some variety. Everybody elses seems to love salmon and fish and I wanted her to have the omega 3 oils. I put it in hers and our 9 month old Maltese bowl. They nibbled once and backed up. Nibbled again and backed up and looked at me like you gotta be kidding, do I look like a cat? Needless to say that is the only can they wouldn't touch and the cats got it. :( They take a dog multi vitamin that has every vitamin but the kitchen sink in it but no omega 3 oil. I gotta figure out how to get that in them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just a little funny FYI. I fed Lulu dry food for the first 4 yrs of her life, but after joning this forum and reading about food I decided to switch to wet food. I bought some 5 star canned food and bought several different kinds so she could have some variety. Everybody elses seems to love salmon and fish and I wanted her to have the omega 3 oils. I put it in hers and our 9 month old Maltese bowl. They nibbled once and backed up. Nibbled again and backed up and looked at me like you gotta be kidding, do I look like a cat? Needless to say that is the only can they wouldn't touch and the cats got it. :( They take a dog multi vitamin that has every vitamin but the kitchen sink in it but no omega 3 oil. I gotta figure out how to get that in them.
lets see if Tiny like fish, thats what i wanted to test, for omega 3 oils, 1800 petmeds sells a bottle of gel caps for about 8 bucks, what im doing now for Tiny its giving her a treat from Alaska naturals, its made from salmon meal, smell just like fish, but has omega 3 and other antioxidants, so i crush it and mix it with a little wet food, and i give it as a lunch

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
actually he does this with wet food too... his favorite.. lol
im starting to think he is just a born digger, i really just wanted to know if anyone else had this funny quirk.
and Quatchi isnt fussy on fish but will eat it once in a while... (just enough for ne to get the omega 3in him lol)

·
Registered
282 Posts
actually he does this with wet food too... his favorite.. lol
im starting to think he is just a born digger, i really just wanted to know if anyone else had this funny quirk.
and Quatchi isnt fussy on fish but will eat it once in a while... (just enough for ne to get the omega 3in him lol)
he certainly ant bury wet food.... lol :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you would be surprise... not bury, but covers it up extremely well.. then the sock or blanky he covered it with gets wet and stinky.. lol trust me where there is a will there is a way for that little guy

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Amberleah does. she doesn't want it, so she looks and looks for just the right place. Some times she cant find the just right place and gives up and eat it. Our cat get what she can and covers her bowl too!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts