Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, it's getting pretty chilly here in VA and Miya is very young, 8 weeks. I am afraid to take her outside in the cold, so then that would mean puppy pads are my only option for potty training???

Also she hasn't had any shots yet so I'm not comfortable taking her outside.

BTW, I'm getting mixed signals on what age she can start vaccines, all my local vets say 6 wks, but the lady I got her from's vet says 10 wks...so which is it

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I am the wrong person to ask about pads. We got our first 2 in November and January. We started with pads and have remained with them. We do really well with them.
Puppy shots should be 8, 12 and 16 weeks.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
No, I wouldn't say potty pads are your only option. I take both of mine outside to go even in the Winter. I wouldn't be afraid, just put something on her if it's very cold, especially if she has a short coat. I just shovel a little section off for them if there's snow. Chi's don't like the cold, that's true, but I put a little jacket on Roo and she's completely fine. Pip, even though he's s short coat, generally goes without a jacket entirely as he has a thicker double coat and he's fine.

I personally don't think chi's, or any dog for that matter, are so fragile that they can't go outside in the Winter. That's my personal opinion. If you prefer using pads though, that's perfectly fine, of course. Whatever you find best. Just know if you don't want to use pads, you don't have to. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts