Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This is long, but is worth reading so you do not fall into this trap. This is Not "he said, she said" but is fully documented and is being dealt with. Maybe, one at a time, people like these can be eliminated from the chi market. Also, maybe, as time goes along, education resources can become more accessible to also help people avoid some of these pitfalls.
From November of 2003 until January 2004, I was working with a Florida dog breeder, Jacqui Beth Johnson (Anika Chihuahuas) - who is on this list. My goals were in finding a dog with a personality that would blend into our home, a genealogy free of genetic defects, and a mentor relationship with a show breeder. I found Jacqui Johnson (allegedly living in Bradenton, FL) on a number of the chihuahua lists to which I belong, and we had numerous email, phone, and instant message conversations. I researched the validity of her dogs' genealogies/lines and show records, and found out that she bred, showed and won with some of her dogs. That's when I became familiar with “Tigger” (a several month old male) and decided to start buying him. I started to make payments for him and his transportation expenses, and paid the total amount due $2250.00 in early Jan 2004 by check and postal money orders. During this time, she made me what I thought was a good deal on a brood bitch named Jamie for $800.00 who needed a hernia repaired, which I accepted, so the contract was changing and therefore took time for her to create. She sent me a draft contract by email (which I still have) with all the terms. After I corrected some typographical errors, and added some "right of survivorship" type wording (to which we'd both agreed), I then printed, signed and sent the new contract back to her, along with four checks (one for $250, and three for $200, to be cashed one per month starting 1 February and continuing one per month until the last one was to be cashed 1 May, 2004). The terms for cashing the checks were spelled out by her in her draft contract to me, as well as in the revised contract that was returned. I left the dates off of the checks in the event I was able to pay anything any sooner. In addition, Jacqui knew very well that I was on a disability pension, that I was using savings I’d had for several dogs, and that since my savings were now gone, that I could only afford the $850 for Jamie spread out over several months.
In the meantime however, I finally did come to know a breeder, who made a point of asking me to "be careful" because Jacqui has become known in the chi community for "changing the terms, and continually wanting more money." I don't find this out until after I'd returned the contract. Sure enough, when it came time to send Tigger and Jaime, all of a sudden she stated that she had had money problems and couldn't send them until later in January 2004, and then she said that she couldn't send them until later in Feb, because Jamie was coming into heat and couldn’t send her with a male. At this same time, she was showing Jamie’s daughter “Roxanne” and Roxanne was winning quickly. Since Roxanne was Jamie’s daughter, it was becoming obvious to me that Jacqui wanted to keep and further breed Jamie for herself, so conversations about Jamie were starting to waiver in terms of Jacqui wanting to sell/send her. When I wanted to go down there to pick them up, she said that she couldn't possibly let either one of them go until they were both paid for in full (contrary to what we agreed upon), so why didn't I just apply the money that I'd use for the trip. In other words, there was always an excuse. Well, I told my other breeder friend that she was right, and she started opening doors for me with other respected breeders (respect with their lines as well as personally, as people), who then confirmed Jacqui's reputation, and that this has happened to a number of others. Many of the really good breeders who are knowledgeable and known within the chihuahua community, will not deal with her, which explains to me why Jacqui seems to sell/send her dogs to Mexico, Puerto Rico and Central America.
I was in a spot.... and told Jacqui (in the latter half of January) to go ahead and use the first check of the four checks, check one to be paid on the 1st of Feb, to send Tigger to me and that we'd skip the purchase of Jamie. I further told her to send the other three checks back to me and when I could save up enough for my female, I'd talk to her then. She then told me that she'd send me another female, to which I said no (I have these emails). Well, the last week of January she deposited all four checks (contrary to the terms of the contracts, and with her knowing very well that there would be nothing available until my pension check came in) and though there was no money in my checking account, my bank's overdraft protection paid $450 and bounced the other two. I called Jacqui and asked her why she did this... and she stated that she was mad.
I successfully stopped payment on the remaining two checks, and am now working with a small network of breeders who are supportive of my efforts to correct this situation and hopefully deter Jacqui’s efforts to do this to others. She has also been intimidating to several, causing them to not want to say anything. Part of her intimidation involves internet harassment via email and “instant message” and may also involve phone calls.
There are many inconsistancies with this woman, such as where she says she lives vs. where she actually lives, the fact that she doesn't want people to ever come to her home and always wants to meet them other places, that she primarily wants to deal with people over im, in email or on the phone (but doesn't give one a valid phone number where she can directly be reached) These inconsistencies alone cause me to suspect that things aren’t exactly up front. In addition, she is inconsistent in the way she handles things, conflicting herself not only in writing, but in a single conversation, as well as her acting as if nothing at all is wrong and “how come (I) am upset”.
The chihuahua community is small and many are furious because they have believed (prior to this incident) that Jacqui is having a negative influence in the dog community, due to her “business” practices. There are Tons of Anika Chihuahua listings, but if you look closely you'll find that most of this stuff is done by Jacqui Johnson herself...... she is her own best promoter! She might have some champions, but again research will show that there is virtually nothing that she has ever had that has truly been on a regional or national level.
There are at least 5 other victims of whom I'm aware, who are also willing to privately tell their stories, if asked. Not only did they NOT get what they paid for, several received very sick dogs! Lest anyone think that I am putting myself "out there" in saying all this, believe me when I say that I have the documents, vet statements, and other hard copy evidence to back up every work I've said here. Yes, I was brand new to wanting to breed chihuahuas, and I created my own mess, but I am dealing with this, and am dealing with Jacqui Beth Johnson. My goal is to prevent her from doing this type thing to anyone else.

Please feel free to email me with any questions.

Sincerely,

Nina

·
Registered
423 Posts
well thank you for sharing with us. Maybe this will prevent any of us from being in any kind of mishap ourselves.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I totally believe you. I know another breeder that she kept extorting money from. She shipped her dog that were in bad condition. Even after shipping she ketp telling her that she owed her more and more. I advertise a lot on different sites. She swears she doesn't sell puppies but she is on every site I advertise on. Why lie about advertising? Why lie about selling puppies? She even has a breeder listing on this site. Do you notice on her site how many times she says that she gives her dogs food and fresh water? Well la - de - da! I would hope she feeds and waters her dogs but I don't think she deserves a medal for doing it. She will continue with her unethical practices because she has gotten away with it for a very long time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
where is her listing at on here? I would like to look at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
She is listed in breeders and breedings she goes by chibrat on this forum.
But she is known to go by many names so she may be back on here under another name now.

There are a lot of bad breeders and people that lie and take your money and it really makes it hard for good breeders and honest people. It is so very hard for anyone to trust me when I sell a puppy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
lol, that didn't sound good. Its hard for people to trust me because they have read so much about bad breeders and scams on the internet. I love my wa was and take very good care of them and screen every potential buyer. My puppies get the very best care from my vet and are sent to their new homes with everything they need plus lots of toys and treats. Oh and they get food and fresh water too. lol

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well i've looked her up....I see that she talks about the grandfather clock in the whelping room :lol: well that is great and good but it just doesn't seem right....does anyone have any sites where I can look up other things that have been said about this breeder? I am curious because I want to be able to spot a bad breeder when I see one. Especially now that I am in the market for another baby of my own.

Also I don't like that she uses the term "teacup" even if she does it in terms (teacup sized) I will not purchase from someone that uses teacup anywhere on their site except to say that there is no such thing!!! to charge more for the runt is absolutely ridiculous. A chihuahua is a chihuahua. Personally I will love a 7 pound chi as much as I would love a 2 pound one. I look for personality in a chi...not size.

·
Registered
423 Posts
hehe, I've seen that before. It tricks your customer to thinking that you offer teacups, and then when you click on it you get a lecture!!! Very ingenious! lol :lol: :lol: :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts