Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on buying a new chihuahua puppy. Are there any steps I need to go through to insure I get the best possible puppy. I don't just want to pick a puppy because I like the way it looks. I want to buy a puppy with a good temperment. Please help if you have any suggestions. I'm not even sure if I'm going to get one but if I do I want to make sure I get the best I can. Another question; what should I expect when buying a chihuahua puppy (price, temperment, breeders vs. puppy mill and pet store etc.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would suggest researching various breeder websites online, and picking one that seems responsible. Look for a breeder that raises the puppies in her home, that doesn't breed various breeds. You want someone who seems loving, has been breeding for a long time, and seems to really care about his or her dogs. A good sign is that they keep the puppies for 10-12 weeks so they know they are healthy. Obviously, puppies should at least come with their first set of vaccinations. I think that by going over a breeder's site, you can get a pretty good idea of what type of breeder they are.

Ask lots of questions! How they breed for temperment, what type of look they breed for, what they feed their dogs, etc.

Good luck finding a puppy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you soooo much. I really am clueless about buying a puppy. My grandmother bought a chihuahua a long time ago from a puppy mill and he was always skiddish and scared of everyone. If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to respond. I appreciate any help you can give me. I live in New Jersey, does anyone know any breeders in new Jersey? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
530 Posts
Buy a couple books on chihuahuas. "Chihuahuas for Dummies" is a good one, I bought "The chihuahua handbook" and another one. These books tell you everything from what to look for when you visit a breeder, what the puppy should look and act like and what questions to ask the breeder. They will be a great help once you get your little one home too. Websites can link you to breeders but these books will help you when you actually visit them...and I would highly recommend visiting before you buy the puppy if at all possible. You can also check out rescue groups in your area, there are a lot of chi's that end up at shelters although this depends on where you are. Chi's are not as abundant where I live as they are in some places. Good luck :D

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I've never bought a chi puppy so the only advice I will give is this: never ever ever ever buy a puppy from a puppy mill. They are the most evil places on the planet. And don't buy a puppy from a pet store either because guess where they come from? Puppy mills. :cry:

I'm sure lots of folks here will offer more practical advice. Have fun looking for just the right pup. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The only thing I would add is to research the chihuahua breed and read all you can find about chis to be sure this is the breed you want. We all love our chis very much and are quite passionate about the breed (as I am sure you have noticed-LOL), but we realize that it is not the breed for everyone. If you still feel you want a chi puppy, then begin your search as the others have suggested. I can not stress enough, (as Rachael stated), please do not buy from a puppy mill or pet store-buy only from a reputable breeder or check out local rescue organizations. Good luck - we will be happy to answer any questions you have about chis.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
I've never bought a chi puppy so the only advice I will give is this: never ever ever ever buy a puppy from a puppy mill. They are the most evil places on the planet. And don't buy a puppy from a pet store either because guess where they come from? Puppy mills. :cry:

I'm sure lots of folks here will offer more practical advice. Have fun looking for just the right pup. :)
I just want to say something to Guinness' mom. I know you bought him from a pet store but I would never hold that against you because you didn't know where those puppies come from. You're a great chi mom and I both like you and respect you. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Hello & welcome It's great you are doing some research. Good luck on finding a baby if you decide to get one. Maybe someone will remember but at one time there was an extensive list of breeders by location :wave:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I got Gizmo from a breeder..

I kept the classifieds handy for breeders selling chi's...I would find and ad that interested me and I would call and see the chi's. I bought Gizmo from a family that has only bred her female twice and that is all she's going to do. The parents were on the premises and sweet as can be. That's important to be able to see the parents of your chi if possible. The breeders were very nice, they let us sit in their patio with the puppies for about 2 hours and we left and came back! It was really hard to pick, but Gizmo picked my husband. The end result is a dog who was partially housebroken (outside) and who loves people.

My point is your puppy will be your baby, and as hard as it can be to wait for the right one, in situations like this its best to "shop around" so to speak! (shhhh don't tell Gizmo he's adopted) :)

You should feel confident when you get your baby! The breeders have called me twice to see how he is doing...now that is love for their pups :D

http://www.dogster.com/?141371

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I agree with all of the other suggestions. Find a breeder that asks a lot of questions about you and your lifestyle etc......who wants references from you and who wants you to come too their place so they can observe your interactions with their chi's. Ask the breeder for some references..........vet's and other purchasers. Try not to be impressed by flashy web sites. The breeder we bought Bella from still emails me about Bella and we have had her
for 15 months.....she loves getting pic's of Bella and is always available to advise me if I have any concerns.

·
Registered
109 Posts
0SCARS said:
thank you soooo much. I really am clueless about buying a puppy. My grandmother bought a chihuahua a long time ago from a puppy mill and he was always skiddish and scared of everyone. If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to respond. I appreciate any help you can give me. I live in New Jersey, does anyone know any breeders in new Jersey? Thanks for the help

WWW.PETITEPUPPY.COM, SUE IS A NEW JERSEY BREEDER...I GOT MY CHIS FROM HER....SHE IS IN NUTLEY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.