Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I think I want to move to Iowa! Are salaries good there? I mean, if you can buy a house for $18K, what sort of money do people make there?

My daughter is actually thinking of moving to Cedar Rapids to live with a friend while she waits on law school...her friend loves it there (she is an engineer)...great apt, cheap cost of living, all on a good salary. She's straight out of college making $65K a year and paying $500 a month to live. Wow.

I'm totally googling Iowa. I could sell my house for around 200K...wonder what that would get me in Iowa?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
In the Iowa City/Coralville/ Cedar Rapids corridor area wages are quite good. Combined, with no college education, dh and I will make about 85K -90k this year. We were very very lucky to get the jobs we did though.

Our home that we live in with extensive remodeling (which is the reason I'm rarely here) appraises for 110k. That's 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, dining room, media room but 28 miles from work.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
$110K in the town I live in will buy a starter home, MAYBE. And a fixer upper at that. And salaries in Texas are notoriously low. I usually compare us to the West and East coasts and think it's great here, but I can see why my daughter's friends from college (all engineers) ended up in Cedar Rapids. They will be able to live really nicely, pay off college loans AND sock away some money.

I need to get my hubby to look into it. Oh wait. He's a Texan. They don't leave Texas!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
salary is dependent on location.. if the house is 18k then it is a shack! plain and simple.. need a lot of work and mostl ikely miles from a decent job market. Where we are moving is in a small town closer to more jobs and the home is 46k and needs a lot of work but it is mostly cosmetic not structural (kitchen sucks though).... I would research the job market before you move.. you might have a home with no food in mother hubbard's cubbards

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Well, sorry to say this house wasn't a shack. It needed new paint and flooring but we were able to take care of that.

http://showcase.netins.net/web/ohmy/cottage/cottage/template.htm

Look like a shack to you? And yes, everything is 25 miles away from here, but with a difference in price as great as it is in the city, it's well worth it. We got a great deal on it because the owner thought that there was structural damage. It was just bad wood flooring that had warped and was fixed. We need to put a new roof on but our plan is to make it match our home with a metal roof, so it won't be very expensive and it's a DIY project. Our only major expenses have been to buy appliances and to put a new breaker box in.

We are renting it out as a regular house right now but will eventually have a bed and breakfast with no breakfast. :~) It's absolutely adorable inside and out. Hopefully this year we'll have the roof on and a picket fence and arbor put up. I continue to work on developing a cottage garden.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts