Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of taking Caesar to the vet and the vet telling me the obvious...

Caesar is a 14 month, 8-9 pound, male chihuahua.

Caesar eats two meals a day.

At 7.30am he is given a kool-aide scoop of dry kibbles and water.

Then at 6ish pm he is given 4 chicken cutlet strips (pre-cooked, average size is your thumb length, which inturn is shredded) and another scoop of dry kibbles. This chicken and kibbles is nuked for 30 seconds to make it juicy and he gobbles it down.

This has been his routine for his entire life. He has always been a picky eater. Once in awhile we will give him shredded roast beef in substitution of chicken. We stay away from real human foods and other junk.

Caesar runs with me, when I can take him out, and his appetite, and stools are always healthy.

This past week, I do not know if he had a bad batch of chicken, or if a chill got to him- but he has been throwing up allot. Obviously first the throw up is the food... and then it turns to the orange/red stomach juices.

He seems active, running, playing, and such... but when it comes time to lay down to bed and sleep, his stomach convulses and he throws up the evening food. Bedtime for him is around 12-1am.

My question......

can a vet do anything for food poisoning?

I have been keeping him on a strict dry meal... kibbles and plain rice chex.

I have been giving him some water, but not enough that would make him fill up and pop again.

i am going to get to the vet Tuesday, but any thoughts between now and then?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
first off, dogs dont usually get "food poisening" not like us, and stomach bile should be yellow NOT red/orange (makes me wonder if theres possibly blood)
so while something could have upset the stomach its not usual for it to be related to food unless theres been a change in diet (dogs are extreemly resilient to the salmonella virus so not likely to get it at all)

my first thought would be a blockage, this would explain why everytime he eats he vomits.

i think at this point its mostly a vet diagnosis, untill then id remove the kibble and go with boiled chicken and boiled white rice, and do 3 or more SMALL meals (this being so bland it shoudnt turn his stomach any more than needed) untill your vet can check him out...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I agree with Foxy...stomach bile is yellow and foamy.

Usually I don't worry about vomit, like I do about diarrhea, but I WOULD worry if I were in your shoes. I don't think I would wait until Tuesday...I would go first thing Monday morning. A blockage can be very serious. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and he is just fine...but it can't hurt to go earlier to the vet, and it might help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His kibble is red, so I think that was the coloring- otherwise he has had yellow foamy color- sometimes watery.

His vomiting has calmed down considerably and he has been eating normally and has plenty of drinking water available.

He occasionally burps which, from previous experience, has led to the vomiting.

I think his last vomiting episode was due to my mother over feeding him, he did vomit alot of food.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Oh, that's much better. If you can pinpoint a cause, it's not so worrisome.

I also think blood in vomit usually looks more blackish/like coffee grounds.

Let us know what the vet says!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
id be definatly swtching kibbles, kibble is not naturally red, so your feeding something with chemical colouration. chemicals and byproducts NOT good!

otherwise id just talk to the vet about the vomiting.
it might be acid reflux in which case an extra meal halfway through the day might put a stop to it. small dogs do better with smaller meals more often...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts