Chihuahua People Forum banner

Cage/Kennel help....

646 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  intent2smile 
#1 ·
Jaxx has never liked his kennel. He likes to go into it and play but as soon as the door shuts he starts whining at the top of his lungs.

When we first got him he slept with us because he was good at waking me up to take him outside. Unfortunately, the last couple nights he has been snapping at my BF if he tries to move him during the night. My BF thinks that we should move him to his kennel at night but he can't stand to hear him whine because he thinks something is wrong.

Jaxx has never snapped at anyone so I am not sure if he is snapping because he is being moved while he is asleep.

He is pretty good at potty training but if he sleeps on the floor he can't get to us to tell us he has to go out. (He usually comes up to you and swipes his paws against you to tell you he has to go out...he will whine softly but not loud enough to wake me if he is on the floor.)

So I think his kennel is his only solution. Does anyone have any advice to get him to like his kennel better? I have done research and tried putting treats in it and toys. He even has one of my shirts in it that he has had since the day that he arrived.

I know that a lot of people let their dogs sleep with them and it was working fine for us but I figure if he is growling and snapping then he is not happy and I want what is best for him.

See less See more
#2 ·
If by snapping you mean a bit of growling, Gucci does that
If he's sleeping and we move him her complains LOL
But her never bites or behaves aggressively
I think you should try leaving him in his kennel, he will whine, but not for a long time. He will get used to it and I don't think you should feel so bad about it

#3 ·
Pedro growls at us if we disturb him in bed...If one of us turns over and makes him move, he snarls and jumps down and finishes out the night in his dog bed, right beside our bed - a very plush one with a very plush blanket! He doesn't bite, but it sounds like he might when he growls.

My two Chis sleep well in the cage together, but neither would do well alone, so unfortunately, I have no advice on that one...Other than to make it as comfy and inviting as you can, and you might cover it with a blanket or something to make him feel safe!

#4 ·
I think my boyfriend is just being overly concerned because Jaxx has never growled at us and because his growling sounds like he is going to bite but he is so loving I think he is just scared when he gets woke up. I don't think my boyfriend would worry about it if Jaxx did not end up right next to me when he sleeps.
Tonight we are going to try to leave him in his kennel. The hard part is we live in an apartment and I don't want him to bother the neighbors at midnight whining and I am not sure how loud he actually is.
Thanks for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.