Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, I was at the vet yesterday taking Princess to her last puppy vacs (yippe) and the vet's secretary recommended giving her calcium vitamin supplements to help her ears stand up. She's almost four months so they may still stand up on their own but has anyone heard of this and is it a good option?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
absolutely! when puppies are teething their calcium levels can get sort of low. The Yogurt works great and they love it. :) It also has "acidophilis" in it (good bacteria) which is good for them. :D

sandra

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I agree re the Yogurt :D :D

I'm not a vet but , I'd personally be a little careful re large amounts of calcium supplement ( not the yogurt that's fine :) )
as I'm sure too much calcium can cause problems too .

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
my vet told me not to make a big deal about it , if he's not a show dog then it just gives him personalty. makes him different from any other dog. she's not worried i stopped being worried, i think it makes him cuter :oops:

·
Registered
506 Posts
my beni had this problem aswell.
he had it till he was about 5 months.
i read somewhere you can massage the ears...or something?
i did it and beni loved the fuss so i suppose it wont hurt to do it.
also i have read that some people tape the ears up for a few weeks which sometimes corrects the problems???
never done that to beni but thought i should mention it!!!

i did love benicio with his floppy ears, very funny!!!!!
:wave:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, you can tape the ears for a couple of days at a time if you think they are having a hard time standing on there own. Here is our Kosmo before having his taped (they should be taped loosly with a low tack tape and in the middle of the ear vs. at the base of the ear)

What they look like taped:

What his ears look like now:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your comments. Of course I love my princess just as she is, but was curious to know if this was recommendable, actually my hubbie likes the way she looks with her ears up. Thanks again :wave: We are trying the tape for a couple days....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Fold the ear over like a taco shell and tape them in the middle of the ear but not too tight. Leave the tape for a few days and then remove it, leave it off for the day and if the ear flops again, tape them again. Repeat the process until they will stand on their own untaped. We had to do this at the suggestion of our breeder because Kosmo has extra large ears. He's finally starting to grow into them now but our other 2 boys ears stood on their own with time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts