Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to call the vet when they open in a few minutes but I was just wondering if anyone's chi had this problem after surgery and what you did about it? She seems itchy from where they shaved her tummy and like maybe her stitches are pulling a little. :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
you can put ALOE gel there is works great....and that is a natural thing to happen it happened when I had stitches...unless she is allergic but I think it would be really red with the itchy :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ALOE is a great idea! I hadn't thought of that. That's why I love this board! :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Its normal to itch after surgery and a shave...........
imagine being us......same thing happens when we go thru it...

Neosporin works wonders too, it helps heal quicker and that way it stops itching.
Itching is a sign of healing .....

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Just wanted to say I am so glad Callie came thru ok...I havent been here for a couple of days...hope she gets over her itching too :D :wave:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I spoke to the vet's office they just suggested that I give her a pain pill that they had sent home with me. I did that and it helped much more than I thought it would. I did put a tiny bit of neosporin on her tummy where she had been shaved and that helped too. I wanted to do the Aloe thing but didn't have any on hand. :? Hadn't thought of the benedryl cream either. I'm sure that would have worked too.

Thank you all for your suggestions and good wishes. Callie is doing much, much better today! :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Minor irritation is normal, and an e-collar is appropriate if your dog is trying to attack the sutures in order to avoid post-op hemmoraging. However...

SC, what kind of sutures did they do? Internal or external? Many dogs have minor allergic skin reactions to PDS (a type of internal suture material). It is intended to dissolve over a long period of time, however, if it is truly an allergic reaction I suggest that they replace them. It will be many months of irritation.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uh oh Kristen, they are internal stiches. Her incision looks fine though and no redness so I guess she is okay. :?

Nabi, Callie is doing much, much better today. Thanks for asking. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts