I am always checking out new stuff and I came across this at Petco today:

I and Love and You Nude Food

Dog food advisor only has the dry rating and it is 5 stars:
I and Love and You Nude Food | Review and Rating

Dehydrated Version
I and Love and You In the Raw Chicken Recipe Dehydrated Dog Food at PETCO

Dry version-
I and Love and You Nude Food Poultry Palooza Recipe Dog Food at PETCO

What is your take on this new food? How does it compare to Ziwi Peak, Stella & Chewy's, and Primal? Since Petco sells it, it might be easier for some to get it than the others and I am always looking for a new rotation and they make treats.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I am not Tracy, of course but I do not like the beet pulp in the dry and I do not care for the oats and barley in the dehydrated. Other than that, they seem fine.

More ingredients like S&C. FAR more ingredients than ZP.
The dehydrated ingredient deck seems more like The Honest Kitchen to me. Or like you mixed up S&C, ZP (becasue of the mussels) and THK!

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not Tracy, of course but I do not like the beet pulp in the dry and I do not care for the oats and barley in the dehydrated. Other than that, they seem fine.

More ingredients like S&C. FAR more ingredients than ZP.
The dehydrated ingredient deck seems more like The Honest Kitchen to me. Or like you mixed up S&C, ZP (becasue of the mussels) and THK!
Hey you are a trusted oppinion on this too and understand raw way more than I do. :) I just like to rotate different proteins (so ZP is my base with a mix of S&C beef and Purebites Chicken treats) and petco seems to be getting closer and closer to what a lot of us like. I was not a fan of the beet pulp or oats and one bag I read said chicken meal. I do not like the "meal" word as I do not know what it is.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The grain free is a LOT better than most of what Petco/Petsmart carries so for those who cannot order online or do not have access to a natural pet food store it would be a nice choice. Even as a topper to a 5 star kibble.

I'd skip the variety with grain.

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The grain free is a LOT better than most of what Petco/Petsmart carries so for those who cannot order online or do not have access to a natural pet food store it would be a nice choice. Even as a topper to a 5 star kibble.

I'd skip the variety with grain.
S&C is grain free though so it is still good for a variety right?

Stella & Chewy's - Stella's Super Beef Freeze-Dried Dinner

Or is Primal better?
Wholesome Raw Frozen Foods for Dogs and Cats

And yes Petsmart is still stuck in the stone age! I had an SD rep come up to me and try to talk to me about their products. Needless to say she did NOT like my responses :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Here is the dehydrated chicken formula and the ingredients ....

Oats, Chicken, Rye, Barley, Cabbage, Carrots, Whole Egg, Flax Meal, Tricalcium Phosphate, Cranberries, Parsley, Dried Kelp, Dried Alfalfa, Ginger Root, Vitamin A Palmitate, Sodium Chloride, Vitamin D3, Zinc Gluconate, Ferric Pyrophosphate (Iron), Vitamin E, Copper Gluconate, Vitamin B12

Because it is so heavy on plant material, I would not feed it. I would always want to see meat, in this case chicken, as the first ingredient. Not oats. The only other protein source is eggs.

In my opinion, it is not even close to S&C, Primal, or ZP. It would be more like THK, which is also heavy on plant material.

Also, just from a budget standpoint... you are spending $20 for 1.5 pounds of food. Now I know that you rehydrate it or whatever. But for $20, you could get chicken at $1.00 a pound and that would be 20 pounds of chicken! A much much better bang for your buck. And NO plant material. Just the real, good stuff. ;)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Also as a comparison of ingredients. Just for fun....

Here is S&C beef recipe .....

Ingredients: Beef, Beef Liver, Beef Kidney, Beef Heart, Beef Tripe, Beef Bone, Calcium Carbonate, Pumpkin Seed, Potassium Chloride, Organic Cranberries, Organic Spinach, Organic Broccoli, Organic Beets, Sodium Phosphate Monobasic, Organic Carrots, Organic Squash, Organic Apples, Organic Blueberries, Choline Chloride, Dried Pediococcus Acidilactici Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Taurine, Tocopherols (Preservative), Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine Monohydrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

And here is their beef recipe ....

Sweet Potatoes, USDA Beef, Celery, Carrots, Cabbage, Whole Egg, Flax Meal, Tricalcium Phosphate, Cranberries, Papaya, Pumpkin, Rosemary, Parsley, Ginger Root, Dried Alfalfa, Dried Kelp, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin A Palmitate

For me, the difference is crystal clear. I would pick S&C over this every time. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I went to Petco's site to see if they had anything in the raw realm that I could recommend. Well, they DO make a freeze dried 'power puck' that looks pretty darn good! Same company. Just processed differently. Much more meat and much more bang for your buck.

Yes, I would buy this one. The ingredients are much better than their other formulas.

I would buy this in the beef formulation and use in my rotation. :)

And Love and You Power Pucks Chicken Recipe Freeze Dried Food, 7.2 oz.

Ground Chicken with Bone, Chicken Heart, Chicken Liver, Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli, Apples, Herring Oil (Natural Source of Vitamin D), Natural Vitamin E, Mixed Tocopherols (Natural Antioxidants)

I and Love and You Power Pucks Beef Recipe Freeze Dried Dog Food, 7.2 oz.

Beef, Beef Tripe, Beef Lung, Ground Beef Bone, Beef Liver, Beef Heart, Beef Kidney, Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Broccoli, Apples, Ginger, Garlic, Herring Oil (Natural Source of Vitamin D), Natural Vitamin E, Mixed Tocopherols (Natural Antioxidant)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
And yes Petsmart is still stuck in the stone age! I had an SD rep come up to me and try to talk to me about their products. Needless to say she did NOT like my responses :D
Petsmart has a frozen raw that is pretty good actually .....

Stewart® Raw Naturals™ Fresh to Home™ Bison Recipe Dog Food Patties - Dog - PetSmart

Ingredients:
Bison Heart, Beef Heart, Bison Kidney, Bison Liver, Beef, Ground Beef Bone, Carrots, Broccoli, Romaine Lettuce, Watermelon, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Blueberry, Cranberry, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Ginger, Parsley, Garlic, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (as a preservative) and Vitamin D Supplement

·
Registered
336 Posts
Petsmart has a frozen raw that is pretty good actually .....

Stewart® Raw Naturals™ Fresh to Home™ Bison Recipe Dog Food Patties - Dog - PetSmart

Ingredients:
Bison Heart, Beef Heart, Bison Kidney, Bison Liver, Beef, Ground Beef Bone, Carrots, Broccoli, Romaine Lettuce, Watermelon, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Blueberry, Cranberry, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Ginger, Parsley, Garlic, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols (as a preservative) and Vitamin D Supplement
I'm so glad you posted this! I couldn't find a review for this brand from any trusted source... Until now! I think my kids will start getting this in their mix now. (Oddly enough this is what I feed my tegu... So now the furry kids can enjoy it, too!)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome thanks! I always keep my eyes out in my adventures to try to help some that do not have a holistic store like mine and honestly I just like to mix things up at times (with ZP always being their base) I figured S&C and primal were better but thought I would toss this out there.

Really Petsmart has that? Maybe I need to glance through there again and take a peak.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Christie, "meal" in dog food is not always automatically a bad thing. If you look at the ingredients in some of the favorites on this site such as Acana, Orijen, and Fromm they all have a named meat meal such as chicken meal or lamb meal for example. This actually has more protein in it than, say, the meat ingredient in whichever food you are looking at. That's because the ingredient that is put into the kibble includes water which dilutes (for lack of a better word) the protein content, but the meal is that same meat with the water content removed which increases quite a bit the protein content. The meal in a dog food is as good as the meat used. Therefore, if you are feeding quality food with quality ingredients, then the meal in that food is acceptable. The problem with meal comes in with the lower quality food when you see the words "meat meal" and the meat source is not named or "chicken by-product meal" and by-product is always a no-no. I have read about "meal" in dog food from several sources, but you can find an explanation on dogfoodadvisor. I do not know how to post links, or I would have put it in like I see people do. Maybe someone can tell me sometime how to do that. lol I really think this just applies to kibble though. Canned food does not have meal in it, and I don't think the commercial raws do, but I could be wrong.

edit: Basically, "meal" is taking chicken, for example, and cooking it for long periods of time to remove all moisture and turn it into a powder that can be used in the kibble. Meal doesn't always automatically equal by-product.

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Christie, "meal" in dog food is not always automatically a bad thing. If you look at the ingredients in some of the favorites on this site such as Acana, Orijen, and Fromm they all have a named meat meal such as chicken meal or lamb meal for example. This actually has more protein in it than, say, the meat ingredient in whichever food you are looking at. That's because the ingredient that is put into the kibble includes water which dilutes (for lack of a better word) the protein content, but the meal is that same meat with the water content removed which increases quite a bit the protein content. The meal in a dog food is as good as the meat used. Therefore, if you are feeding quality food with quality ingredients, then the meal in that food is acceptable. The problem with meal comes in with the lower quality food when you see the words "meat meal" and the meat source is not named or "chicken by-product meal" and by-product is always a no-no. I have read about "meal" in dog food from several sources, but you can find an explanation on dogfoodadvisor. I do not know how to post links, or I would have put it in like I see people do. Maybe someone can tell me sometime how to do that. lol I really think this just applies to kibble though. Canned food does not have meal in it, and I don't think the commercial raws do, but I could be wrong.

edit: Basically, "meal" is taking chicken, for example, and cooking it for long periods of time to remove all moisture and turn it into a powder that can be used in the kibble. Meal doesn't always automatically equal by-product.
Yeah I am comfortable when it says "meal" in a product that I know is a good brand but in new things I am just looking into I get wary esp when 1st ingredient is oat LOL

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Yeah I am comfortable when it says "meal" in a product that I know is a good brand but in new things I am just looking into I get wary esp when 1st ingredient is oat LOL
You are right!! I still steer clear of foods with potatoes, rice, oats, barley etc. I'm OK with a certain amount of fruits and vegetables, but not sure why the need for the other?!:confused:

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are right!! I still steer clear of foods with potatoes, rice, oats, barley etc. I'm OK with a certain amount of fruits and vegetables, but not sure why the need for the other?!:confused:
Plus after keeping an eye on Petco & Petsmart I agree with my Vet there is way too many food for any one person to keep up with. I fully understand why she makes me bring in my labels LOL. I always look as it would be easier in a crunch to be able to run to Petco or Petsmart and grab a bag or a few cans as both are less than a mile from my house where my holistic store is a 20 minute drive without traffic.

Plus these discussions might help someone else out and when it comes to freeze dried raw I like to ask the raw feeders as they know more about that aspect than I do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts