Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this so interesting! Dogs communicate, we know that. But did you know that you can use calming signals to interact with your dog and 'speak their language'? I never knew this and recently was reading about it.

One calming signal is slow eye blinking. I tried it with Brody.... was holding him and looked into his eyes and slowly blinked my eyes, sometimes leaving them closed for a second. He looked right back and then repeated it, blinking slowly back at me. :D

These non verbal communication skills could come in really handy if dealing with a stressed dog.

Yawning is another calming signal dogs use. Have you ever noticed that a dog in a stressful situation will yawn? Lip licking is also a sign of stress (and also nausea or pain).

Turid Rugaas, a dog trainer/behaviorist from Norway wrote a book on Calming Signals.

http://theartofdog.com/articles/calming.pdf

Here's a few links if you find this as fascinating as I do! :)

Body Language in Dogs: how to read what your dog is saying, from Stacy's Wag'N'Train

Calming Signals in Dogs

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Thanks Tracy! I knew about the yawning. I have read something similar in that past. I find if very interesting but I use the yawing and closing of the eyes pretty often around here :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Woah! Fiddle did it do! I'm so astonished!!! This is pretty amazing!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
So interesting! I cant remember where I recently heard about the eye blinking thing, but I tried it with Reese and he did it back too, so cool! Ill have to check out those links.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Very cool! I'll have to check these out. I did know about the yawning (though I've tried & it doesn't quite work with Matilda when she's anxious about something) but I'll definitely try the eye blinking & check out the link for more ideas! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Thanks for the links.
I just wanted to add the Stella never blinks. ;)

She is the first dog I've had who wasn't deterred by direct eye contact, quite the contrary, she kind of freaks me out with her constant staring !

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's funny Alan. I was surprised how Brody made steady contact when I stared into his eyes and blinked real slow and he was doing it back. Kind of hypnotizing actually! ha!

I can just see us next time we go to the vet. I'll be holding him up to my face and blinking slowly and yawning. LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts