Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a decent but still somewhat cheap (under $200) digital camera that takes good pictures? What are your preferences? I am just looking for something to take pictures of the kids and dogs and such, nothing fancy (although some day I want Pidge's camera...drool!!).

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Funny, i was going to post this same question.:)
My OH is getting me one for xmas, although i will prob moan till i get to use it before then. lol
I am interested in a Canon compact digital one.
Have been looking at reviews online and youtube too, and i think i fancy the Canon IXUS 130, well that's what it's called here, i think it's also called the SD1400.
It is lovely and slim and small, seems to take a very decent pic and film too, although am not fussed about video really.
Lots of cool features and seems very easy to use.
One thing i did kinda want was a good burst mode, so i can take continuous shots one after the other.
My Nikon takes ages to take the pic and you cant seem to do continuous with it.
I have had it a few years though and it served me well.

Anyhow check that one out, some good youtube reviews.
My man is going into Jessops camera shop this weekend to look it over for me. lol
Oh it also comes in a few colours, i just want black, but the other options are hot pink, orange and silver. lol

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Lol dmc and jan! Hmmm digicams...when i had one before i used the coolpix one and a olympus one and a samsung one. If u wanna take a lot of pics ur gonna want one with a rechargeable battery :) i never had a sony digicam cuz they only take other sony products which sucks because say if u see a sd card for sale thats a diff name brand like kingston u wont be able to use it. Sony this sony that....stop limiting! :lol: altho my dad has the cybershot hes a baffoon with all the buttons...he never takes my advice wo he doesnt count. i say think about what ur lookin for...nightime shots or daytime ehots....zoom or no zoom...iso levels...focus pts...face tracking...all that fun stuff. Lookup some digicams ur interested in from a local site and then look for reviews online and photo samples of what it can do for other ppl who used them...then look it up on ebay for cheaper.

I use a samsung gx-20 which is a rare find even on ebay lol. The samethin to it is the pentax k20D. Some of the shots were taken by my bfs cam pentax k5 which is over $1500.00 without lens too

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I have just been looking at Pentax point and shoots, but they are kinda bulky and ugly IMO.
The Pentax Optio range do the burst mode well the RZ10, but when you use that it drops from 14mp to 5mp on your pics so that's kinda crap. lol

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Lol terri they are bulky because they are weatherproof. Thru snow, rain, dust, hail, u csn still be out twkin pics :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah i dont need to be takin pics in all those conditions though.
I want a nice sleek camera that is easy on the hand, and takes good pics. lol
They are out there.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Terry, I'm pretty much looking for the same things you are. Burst shots would be fabulous, as I am mostly wanting it for Christmas morning with 5 kids...slowness is NOT an option that day! haha I dont really need anything weatherproof, as I can barely leave the house as it is, and my car is broken now too, so I REALLY dont leave the house now...

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I have a Sony Cyber shot... I loved every model I had before this one. This one...?Not such a fan. The pictures just are never as clear as I want and it was supposed to take great action/pet photos as well as operate well in low light and it just...doesn't.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I really love my Canon powershot SX110 it is only a 9-10mp but takes awesome pictures and is pretty cheap now. I am getting the Canon 60D DSLR for christmas but that is around $1,000
Oh to show quality of the canon powershot my signature pic is from it I also used a photo program for face focus but you can see how clear the shot is

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have a Kodak easyshare Z1485 IS. It's what I take all the pics of the dogs with. It's compact and 14 mp and gives some great pics. You can get it online for under $100 or through Amazon for more. It's small and compact, and mine is blue, but I think it comes in other colors, too. I like that it has image stabilization, less blury pictures.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I like the Panasonic Lumix cameras, I have a super zoom and a point and shoot. Love them both. Read reviews at Steve's Digicam. They also have a section "What camera should I buy?"

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I like the Panasonic Lumix cameras, I have a super zoom and a point and shoot. Love them both. Read reviews at Steve's Digicam. They also have a section "What camera should I buy?"
This is the camera I have. A Lumix FH22. 8x optical zoom, 14.1mp, touch screen, takes great pictures and HD video. There are a ton of settings for it too. There is even a setting for your pet! You enter their name and birthdate and when you snap the picture it has their name and age on it! I thought it was cool lol. They have the same setting for kids. It's small so I can stick it in my purse and it's not in the way. It has a rechargeable battery and you can use any SD card with it. I can't say enough good things about it to tell you the truth. Oh! And the shutter speed is super fast so it's great for action shots of pets or kids (which is what I mainly take these days lol).

About 3-4yrs ago I had a canon (5mp) and it was great too. I loved it. Other than that I've had Kodaks and always had good luck with them too.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I have been torn between 2 cameras, but i think i am def going with the Canon Ixus 130.
That has really good specs and reviews.
Oh it also has the pets and kids mode lol
The other one i like is the fujifilm finepix Z80 in a really cool metallic purple colour, good specs too, but not as many good reviews, but then you wonder who does these reviews in the first place.
The fuji one is cheaper, but i want to be sure i get good results.
There is hardly a video on youtube for the fuji one which is shame, most are in a foriegn language too.

It's a shame i just cant ask for both for my xmas. lol but that's just silly.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Not sure if anyone has said this camera, But I love Kodac powershot, in Australia they are normally around the $150 mark and are great, however not as good in poor light, but out doors are fantastic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts