Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned on some other threads how I was getting a chihuahua puppy this weekend and even posted her picture because I couldn't decide on a name. Anyways, we got her, she is soooo cute, but at the vet today they said she has a heart mumur and if she doesn't get surgery she will more than likely die before the age of 1, so we have decided to return her to the breeder. It absolutely broke my heart because we can't afford it, (I'm in graduate school right now) and Ralphie has a serious condition with his liver that requires daily medication along with routine tests, etc. Anyways, in the short amount of time Ralphie has really got attached to her. He follows her around and whines when they are separated. I may be overreacting, but I am concerned he may get depressed and may stop eating or something. My husband and I have come to terms that it wasn't meant to be, but I am so worried about my little boy. Have any of you ever had this situation, and if so how did your chi cope with the separation?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
He may look at her as his "baby" and wants to care for her. I don't know what you can do to make it easier on him... are you planning on getting another puppy after you return this one?

I'm so sorry to hear about the pup... it's always heartbreaking to hear stories like that where you know the outcome won't be good for anyone involved.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This situation has really upset my husband and I, so much to the point that I don't know if we're ready to go through any possible emotional turmoil quite so soon. Our record for acquiring healthy chihuahuas isn't so good. Ralphie (our first) had to have expensive tests at a university in another state, a chihuahua I got from the rescue shelter had the condition where her knee cap would slip out of place and that surgery would have required thousands of dollars to correct (and even then no guarantees), and then this. It just really upsets me, it just seems like there are soo many puppy mills out there trying to make a buck at puppies and owner's expense. Thank you for listening. Being able to talk to others is a healthy therauptic release for me.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I completely understand how you feel. I would just watch Ralphie once the puppy goes back and show him extra attention and love. He will most likely mourn the puppy's absence but if he seems to become overly upset, you might want to talk to the vet and see what they suggest.

I hope he handles it okay, the poor guy.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Oh how sad for you and Ralphie too. If i was really attached to a puppy though, i think i'd get a second opinion on the heart murmur thing. Did the vet actually run heart tests or just listen? I mean, to say it will die before 1 year without surgery is a lot based on one person listening to the heart. And people, yes, even doctors make mistakes.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your sad situation...it must have been very hard on you and your husband to have had to make that decision..Ralphie will probably miss his friend for awhile...I would give him lot's of TLC for the next little while....and don't be too hard on yourself...

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
depression

I whole heartedly believe that dogs can get depressed! I have seen it first hand. Usually the seperation depression comes when they are older. When a dog is raised forever with someone and then their person passes away I think that it breaks their heart. When my grandpa passed a way we his little dog buffy stayed depressed for about a week and then committed suicide believe it or not.

think in your situation you are doing what is best for the dog due to you havent got the income to treat the problem. I know that many dogs in rescue are given up from the ones they have been attached to and they easily adapt to another family with a little time.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think you totally did the right thing and I respect you for it - not only did you know that you wouldn't be able to give this special needs pup the life it deserves because you are not in a position to fully care for him, but you are thinking of the dog you already have as well, and you are committed to his care all the way.
I think that dogs can get depressed, and even more so if they pick up on the fact that their owners feel similarly sad. Maybe you could try again and find a reputable breeder in your area that regularly does genetics testing on their studs and bitches to screen out much of the liklihood that the pups would be born with problems.
Either way, I hope everything works out for you, but don't give up on a pup, cuz it sounds like you have a lot of love to give. :)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Since you haven't had the new one all that long I expect Ralphie will get over it after a few days with some extra attention. If you do decide to think about another chi there are reputable breeders who do genetic testing. It's worth the extra time to find them and although a puppy might cost a bit more initially it's worth it.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i agree with jolie's mom , i would get a second opinion

ralphie can be down for a while when his friend is gone, but if you show him lots of love and attention it will pass , if you are not up to another one ...he just has to adapt :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. That is good idea about getting a second opinion, I may try to do so before we make the trip to take her back. I'm just not real optimisitic, once the vet told me what to look for, I could feel a grinding through her chest wall, its that pronounced. And you are right as far as the breeder, which makes it the most difficult aspect. I asked what would happen to her, and she said some chis grow out of it and she will just keep her to see if she grows out of it. It sickens me that she probably won't even take her to the vet. I don't know what to do, if we keep her and try to find a good home for her and someone who would perform the surgery that would be great, but unfortunatley I don't believe there is too many people out there wanting to take on that big of a responsibility and financial committment. The longer we keep her the more attached to her my husband and I (and Ralph) are becoming.

If we do decide to someday obtain a little girl, how do you know for sure its a reputable breeder? I've done all the research, thought I've asked the right questions, etc., but I just keep finding myself in this same situation. Infact the breeder we got Ralphie from did genetic testing, twice by a vet, before we got him. I was told by Ohio State that most vets miss what Ralphie has and that they were surprised our vet caught it (they did a blood test on him before he was neutered which is when it showed up). And actually, according to breed standards, Ralphie is a poster child for "make sure your dog doesn't have this"---doesn't matter to me at all because I was getting him for a loving companion, but it just shows that I almost need to start asking for recommendation letters from former clients of breeders.

I am definitely going to watch for any signs of depression with Ralph and be sure to give him some extra treats (along with his overshowering of attention he is use to getting). :)[/b]

·
Registered
615 Posts
This is such a hard situation.

Please do try to get a second opinion as:
"Heart murmurs are relatively uncommon in Chihuahuas and even those that have one usually have the functional type. As in people, that means they can be as active and athletic as they want and live long, normal lives."

If she does require the surgery (what is the technical name of what she has?) You can contact Chihuahua rescue. I know of one that saves Chihuahuas that need exspensive surgery. They rescued a tiny girl who has the "water in the brain" hydrophalus and needs surgery. Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm unclear on the Grinding..what is that? What kind of heart problem is it? I am so sad...i did something i shouldn't have done. I went to your other post and looked at her picture. She just looks so sweet. i hate the thought of her life ahead if you take her back. :( I just hope you will get that second opinion, you may get a whole new story. Maybe not but it's worth a try! Grinding,,,that just throws me... that just sounds like something the lungs would do. I just know vets are people and mistakes can be made.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess thats the wrong word, it was more of a harsh slooshing feel. The vet described it to me as squeezing a garden hose full of water. I got a second opinion and the diagnosis was basically the same (this time I wrote everything down). The vet explained that the heart murmur was palpable through the chest wall. She explained that on auscultation this murmur is characterized as holosystolic (occuring through all heartbeat sounds) and had a point of maximum intensity (loudest sound) that is consistent with a heart vessel defect known as Patent Ductus Arteriosis (PDA) which she stated was common to the breed. She went on to explain that PDA represents a failure of a blood vessel shunt to close after birth. The persistence of this duct requires surgical correction which if not undertaken results in the death of more than 50% of affected pup before the 1 year of age.
I think what we may do is take her to Ohio State University and see if they would take her and do the surgery on a type of pro-bono work. I've heard that they can do that, and if I give her to them, they will agree to find a good home for her after the surgery. I think I am going to call them tomorrow to see if that would be an option.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
i feel so bad for this little puppy and for your disappointment. :( If faced with the same problem i don't know what i would do. I just don't know if i would be able to give her up because from the moment i drove away from the breeder with Jolie, she was mine in my heart and i know i couldn't have taken her back. She was immediately like a human child that i had just adopted. So with Jolie, taking her back or giving her up wouldn't have been an option. That must be so hard for you. But i certainly understand the financial part of it. This is just a tough, heartbreaking deal. :(

Here's some info i found for you:
http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/cardiovascular diseases/PDA.htm

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Oh, that is such bad news...but it never fails to amaze me at how much good you are doing for this puppy by keeping your options open, and putting her health ahead of your wants. You have good morals, and you are doing the right thing...I just hope good things now come your way, since you deserve it.

And if it makes you feel any better, I have a heart murmur, too, and I go through life just fine... :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you so much for your kind words. I think my exs would disagree with you! :lol: But I do appreciate all the support I've received. Thank you.

I found out Ohio State would do it and I had my husband drive up there today, because I knew I couldn't do it. They reassured that the chances from recovery of this surgery are very good. So everything worked out. It has made me realize that when I do decide to get a little girl I need to be more financially sound (like after I finish school) because I never want to go through this again. Ralphie seems to be doing ok also. Probably too early to tell, but he seems to be playing and acting fine.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am so happy to hear that they took her! It would have been just even more sad if she had to die. They didn't offer to give her back to you rather than adopt her out? Just curious.

This is such a difficult situation for you. I'm so sorry. If you want to consider getting a chi girl again I'm sure lots of people on here are willing to suggest some reputable breeder. I know of a site that has specific questions with the right answers to ask a breeder to find out if she/he is reputable. It was so helpful.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts