Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a really basic question, and intuitively, I think I know the answer...but...is it OK if adults are on a puppy food?

If they are maintaining their weight appropriately, is it going to hurt them?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I think the main issue is protein levels.
I realize not all food is created equal and many manufacturers have " all life stages" food.

In a pinch, I don't think it will cause harm, but over a period of time.. puppies need certain values and I think they are best served with a puppy designated food.

Whooops! I just re-read your post, I am less concerned about a small breed adult eating puppy food, I think its safer for a small breed adult to eat puppy food than it is the other way around.

My old dog has been snarfing his share of the pup's Acana since they have been here, he's fine.. and I don't see the point in forcing him to stop.. at 17 I am just happy he eats! :hello1:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think the high fat content would be unhealthy for a grown dog in the long run. I think short term, it wouldn't be too bad.

I have heard of adult dogs being fed puppy food after being sick, for weight gain.

What's your concern? Is it your bigger pups eating new Bryco's food? :D My Elliot keeps filching Pippa's puppy food when I'm not looking.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we tried the Acana...they liked it for about a day, and now won't touch it :-/ I'm obviously going to keep trying for the duration of the bag, but it's bad when they don't eat at all :-/

I have 2 bags of Innova puppy left which should get Bryco to 6 months and Trigger to 7 months...then I dunno what I'm going to do.

I looked at the Artemis line of foods and I liked the looks of their line of foods. Laurel will always be on a weight food, but the day I can get the other 3 all on the same food, ANGELS WILL SING AND REJOICE GREATLY.

So I was wondering if I could just put Oakley back on puppy food until the younger two are ready for adult food, probably around 8 months for Bryco...but obviously don't want to cause any harm if its not the best idea.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh, I think it would be fine! I bet your guys are pretty active and it won't hurt while you're making the switch!

Well, we tried the Acana...they liked it for about a day, and now won't touch it :-/ I'm obviously going to keep trying for the duration of the bag, but it's bad when they don't eat at all :-/

I have 2 bags of Innova puppy left which should get Bryco to 6 months and Trigger to 7 months...then I dunno what I'm going to do.

I looked at the Artemis line of foods and I liked the looks of their line of foods. Laurel will always be on a weight food, but the day I can get the other 3 all on the same food, ANGELS WILL SING AND REJOICE GREATLY.

So I was wondering if I could just put Oakley back on puppy food until the younger two are ready for adult food, probably around 8 months for Bryco...but obviously don't want to cause any harm if its not the best idea.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it keeps a little weight on Oakley, that's okay. She is a very picky eater and eats so little and weighs so little that she could bulk up a bit. I don't know...maybe I shouldn't try and just tough it out having 3 types of food for a few more months lol. It's just soooooooo annoying (and...yeah, lol, entirely my fault for getting 3 dogs at different stages ;-)!!)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If she's tiny for sure.. Don't worry! Chi's have fast metabolisms anyhow as do many small breeds. Honestly it may help her gain a few pounds and I seriously doubt it will do any long term damage.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess I will just have to find out. She is almost 1 year old, but I compared it to their small breed puppy and the protein/fat percentages only differ by 2% and the Acana has higher percentages of both for the all life stages...ahhhh it's so hard to tell!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'm doing three different foods here, too. Puppy food for Xena and Billy, small breeds for the other chis, and then an other brand for my bigger dogs as they were gaining weight on the small breeds food. It seems the puppies don't like the puppy food but the adults do. lol I figure if they are all eating, it's cool. I did get an all breeds food that they all like and was introducing them all slowly to it. Then we would have had one food. Now with this new old dog, I don't think he will be able to eat the bigger pieces. *sigh*

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oakley is still a puppy.. i know that some brands of food (and obv i know nothing about dog food btw!!) can be fed up to 2 years.. but i don't know which ones.

If they 'fill out' til they're like 18 months then i don't see the harm.. you could do it and if she starts to get too chunky then cut the amount down and change her to big girls food??

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's not going to hurt an adult Chi to eat puppy food, as long as you're monitoring the weight level and decrease the amount you're feed if they start gaining. In the grand scheme of things, a whole lot of foods are All Life Stages, which means they are puppy food. In order to be ALS, they have to support growing puppies. The only difference will be the amount you feed the dogs for the various ages. I wouldn't stress over it. You're looking at a few months. A lot of dogs eat ALS their entire lives.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts