Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer any advice, because I am having a hard time at the moment. I have two male Chis from the same litter aged just 5 months. All they do is fight and bark at each other from morning till night except when they are asleep, and when they wake up it starts all over again. I can't give them toys or chews to play with because they kill each other over them. I am seriously thinking of asking the breeder to take them back, which I can't believe because I was really looking forward to having them. but I can't take much more. They are both unneutered at the present. They are not my first chis. I had a little girl for 16 years with on problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

· Read Only
1,949 Posts
My family had a similar issue with two Springer Spaniels from the same litter. They were both male and neutered, but they would often get into vicious fights at random. The breeder ended up taking one back because we thought they could seriously injure one another.

I don't really have any advice, but I thought I would share my experience. Maybe the breeder can take just one back, since they obviously aren't doing well together? Maybe it will stop after they are neutered, but who knows.

· Registered
6,181 Posts
I would rehome one of these dogs. It just isn't worth the trouble. Are they actually fighting, or are they 'play' fighting? The other thing you can do, is separate them as in a playpen. Let one out for a couple of hours, and then get the other one for a couple of hours.

· Registered
4,175 Posts
Is it really angry and aggressive or puppy play? Mine look like they are in Chihuahua mixed martial arts almost constantly. My youngest is a VERY vocal girl so it sounds as if she is constantly growling. I was quite worried until I saw tails still wagging and realized that they were just playing and deciding who was who in the mix.

We previously had a quiet, mellow 13 year old boy and of course, with no other playmates and being older we were not at all used to how these rowdy girls are.

Any item worth "fighting" over gets put up or tossed.

Here is a video of my girls. Does it looks and sound like this?

· Administrator
5,737 Posts
Love the video Karen! Your three are actually gentle when compared to my two. Bambi is a thug! They absolutely adore each other though.

Mary, I was going to say the same as the others, are you certain it is fighting and not playing?
If it really is fighting you have two options. Rehome one of the dogs or reinforce the status of each dog so they know their place in the pack. We had a similar issue with two bitches years ago that were similar sizes and ages. Normally when dogs squabble, they determine who is 'top dog' and accept that decision. If they continue to fight it can be because the dog that is lower in the pecking order does not accept its place and continues to challenge. If you reinforce the dominant dogs position in the pack, this can help the less dominant one to accept its place. So feed the dominant one first, make the other wait. Give the dominant one privileges above the other. It seems harsh, and it is difficult to do, because as humans we want to make everything fair and equal. Dogs don't get the concept of fair though. The lower ranking dog will be happier once he accepts his place.

· Registered
363 Posts
Is it really angry and aggressive or puppy play? Mine look like they are in Chihuahua mixed martial arts almost constantly. My youngest is a VERY vocal girl so it sounds as if she is constantly growling. I was quite worried until I saw tails still wagging and realized that they were just playing and deciding who was who in the mix.

We previously had a quiet, mellow 13 year old boy and of course, with no other playmates and being older we were not at all used to how these rowdy girls are.

Chihuahua mixed martial arts - YouTube
Adorable video! ;)

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think its serious fighting, they chase each other round and round the furniture at 90 miles a hour, snapping and barking, but its all the time every waking moment, the only time they stop is when they are sleeping. They sleep together in the same crate O.K. I am hoping it will improve when they are neutered, but I am scared that it won't, I really want to keep both of them, I just don't know what to doo

· Registered
1,228 Posts
We had two male cats, James was fixed but Hercules wasn't. They would fight among theirselves. They would be at opposite sides of the yard and run at each other and do that matrix thing. Once James got fixed he milded down some which helped mild Hercules. Sometimes fixing helps sometimes it doesn't. I wish I had some better advice.

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Just hink about having 2 active toddler boys together all day!! or better yet, 2 six year olds!

They are just being young and having a good time! They do settle down (usually) - no really they should! It just takes them a while to grow up. There will come a day when you wish they were still running around like crazies!

· Administrator
5,737 Posts
That is good news! If they are just being rambunctious it is much easier to sort out. The answer is exercise! Tired puppies don't have the energy to be naughty. Give them a good walk then put them in separate crates to sleep. If you don't want them playing in the house, only allow them to play in the garden. They will calm down eventually, you just need to redirect their energy at this point.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
I agree with the others; if it's just some rowdy play, just be thankful you didn't just adopt one or YOU would be the one keeping his mind engaged haha. Puppies LOVE to play, and run; and romp, and wrestle. Even ones who don't have housemates, want to do all of these things with their owners, or a cat, or anything! It's part of being a puppy.
The best thing to do is start them walking right away, getting them used to a harness; and walk walk walk! Dogs need mental as well as physical stimulation to be happy; and often they have a lot of energy and not a way to release it. Sounds like right now they are using one another, which is fine; as long as you can recognize when things get out of hand and can put a stop to the behavior. The more you keep these boys active and busy and engaged in some kind of activity, the more stable they will be in general. Good luck!

· Banned
10,736 Posts
Do your dogs get walked? How long & how often? On leash or off?

Do you train or play with them? If yes, how often? What kind of games do you play? What training methods do you use?

When are you planning on neutering?

· Registered
1,533 Posts
if it's just some rowdy play, just be thankful you didn't just adopt one or YOU would be the one keeping his mind engaged haha
That's the situation I was in, I got a 2nd 2 months after my 1st because he was at me for attention 24/7 and was destructive when he didn't get it. Now rowdy boy #1 is a year old and has calmed down considerably. For the few months when he was past that stage and I only had him and my girl our house was relatively peaceful but now I have rowdy boy #2 so it's back to chaos. It's only because I know the first one settled down that I'm confident the 2nd one will too. By 8 or 9 months I'm sure they will be much calmer. I can see how 2 boys could get more out of hand than 2 girls (Karen your girls play nice compared to my 2 boys!) but it's definitely mostly an age thing and they will grow out of it. If they didn't have eachother they would probably take it out on your furniture so you're lucky!

· Read Only
1,949 Posts
I don't think its serious fighting, they chase each other round and round the furniture at 90 miles a hour, snapping and barking, but its all the time every waking moment, the only time they stop is when they are sleeping. They sleep together in the same crate O.K. I am hoping it will improve when they are neutered, but I am scared that it won't, I really want to keep both of them, I just don't know what to doo
Well in that case, I don't think neutering will really make a difference. It isn't a dominance thing, they just need more exercise! Start taking them out for walks if you don't already.

· Banned
10,736 Posts
The best thing to do is start them walking right away, getting them used to a harness; and walk walk walk! Dogs need mental as well as physical stimulation to be happy...The more you keep these boys active and busy and engaged in some kind of activity, the more stable they will be in general. Good luck!

AGREE with this!

I can't stress it enough dogs NEED mental & physical stimulation in order to thrive.
The exercise can NOT stop at the two pups playing. You MUST provide frequent daily structured walks, play time and at the very least basic training.

· Read Only
276 Posts
Im a little surprised that a breeder would sell you 2 male littermates as this is common. Maybe talk to the breeder about reurning one (or both) before something bad happens as most reputable breeders are willing to take pups back. Please keep us posted

· Registered
3,471 Posts

Chihuahua mixed martial arts - YouTube
I loved seeing that video because she sounds exactly like Willow. Mylo is very quiet - he makes no noise when he plays and then we got Willow and she makes that noise but I could tell it was playing from tails like you said and boys language. People find it hard to believe me when I say that they're playing and keep saying 'are you sure it's ok for them to be doing that?' Or she will yap at dogs in the park because she wants to play and owners give me looks that could kill.

· Premium Member
2,908 Posts
My Ike does that with my Pug Sadie , but she has no idea he is playing, that is how Chi's play. IF they are screaming or yelping they are playing, learning to kill their dinner , in the wild. Ike is now a year old and still does it to Sadie. Don't know what to suggest, if it really bother's you, rehome one, before they get any older.

· Registered
5,191 Posts
I loved that video! And I always LOVE videos and pics of Karen's bunch!! That being said, not only can you tell that is friendly playing by the wagging tails, but the hair on their back is not standing up. When Lulu means business, the hair right in front of her tail stands straight up! When she's just playing rough and tumble with Gidget it is smooth as silk. I would tell the OP this, but this post is from 2012.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.