Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if dogs can have a slow metabolism which causes them to be overweight?
zoey, one of my chis, is overweight but she hardly eats anything! we dont leave food down all day so she only eats what she has for breakfast & dinner, and she is exercised everyday too
whenever i feed her she only eats around 1/4 to 1/2 of the food i put down. we have tried her on various diets but none work!!
i dont know what to do because i want her to lose weight as it is bad for her health and dont want her developing anything like arthritis etc.
we have asked the vet about it but he thinks that we feed her too much ( we dont, we feed her what it says on the packet and even reduced it but that doesnt work either)
has anyone ever experienced this before??
thanks in advance
:)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
what food are you giving her? Some like Royal canin I have read have a tendancy to make dogs put on weight.

I found it hard with my Chi benny. He was overweight.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i feed her royal canin light and mix it with forthglade natural menu - i have 3 other chis on the same thing but they are perfect weight

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think it is possible that you are feeding her too much food. Or rather too many calories. I have never fed any of the foods you mentioned but i know royal Canin is used by people on another forum i visit to keep weight on dogs that have very fast metabolism.

Another thing to keep in mind is the feeding guideline on food is just a suggestion and can be tweaked to meet your dogs individual needs. So good job on not stressing about feeding her exactly what the bag says.

What kind of activites does Zoey do? Some dogs need more exercise than others to maintain their weight and form. A litter mate to my dog is around 50lbs and eats a cup of dog food a day. She is a very fit, active dog.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is possible that you are feeding her too much food. Or rather too many calories. I have never fed any of the foods you mentioned but i know royal Canin is used by people on another forum i visit to keep weight on dogs that have very fast metabolism.

Another thing to keep in mind is the feeding guideline on food is just a suggestion and can be tweaked to meet your dogs individual needs. So good job on not stressing about feeding her exactly what the bag says.

What kind of activites does Zoey do? Some dogs need more exercise than others to maintain their weight and form. A litter mate to my dog is around 50lbs and eats a cup of dog food a day. She is a very fit, active dog.
she gets a least an hour walk maybe an hour and a half each day - 10 minutes walking on lead to beach/field then a good 40 plus minutes running off lead then another 10 minutes walk home

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has your vet ruled out a thyroid problem?
no, he doesnt think there is anything wrong with her health wise - just too much food
i think i might go to a different vets and see what they say and see if they can do some tests on her

·
Registered
497 Posts
She gets more exercise than most dogs i know. I think it would be wise to check for a thyroid problem too, with a different vet possibly.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have just googled thyroid problem in dogs and it came up with some of the symptoms could be obesity, not keeping weight on, hair loss and skin problems - zoey has hair loss/skin problems - she often gets these little black scabby things all over her body mainly her back, head and top of tail and the hair falls out a little around them areas esp the head (she has a few very small bald patches) there not caused by fleas as i de-flea all my dogs every 4 - 6 weeks and there is no fleas on her body

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its called hypothyroidism
i think im definitely taking her to a vet get her a blood test

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think thats the best thing to do, and re-evaluate if you still want that vet you have at the moment.
ive actually been re-evaluating that a lot recently as all they seem to care about is getting your money and not in your pets health

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Chow/Aussie mix has hypothyroidism.

He got very fat even though he was getting the same exercise & food as my Aussie. Slept a lot and then his fur began falling out and his skin got bad.

They finally diagnosed him when his lovely tail was looking like a rat's tail. They did blood tests and gave him meds. He gets one a day split between two feedings.

He's the same dog that first showed up on my doorstep. I mean, I was worried I was going to lose him when I caught my Siamese using him as a bed and he just lay there. Now he's his old, naughty, active self.

It's really fixable and it's no trouble. He'll eat anything. If your Chi is fussy I can't recommend Pill Pockets enough. My Aussie was notorious for spitting out his meds (he is in the early stage of arthritis & has epilepsy) but he snarfs them down so fast now I fear for my fingers.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I second the thought of hypothyroidism. But I will add that a lot of blood tests that vets do only test a portion of the thyroid (T4) so will say that the dog is fine while they are, in fact, hypothyroid. So it's possible to get false-negatives. I would do a thyroid test but send it off to Michigan for testing. They are the best in the country for thyroid diagnosing and in addition to the numbers your vet will get back he will also get the Dr.'s opinion from Michigan.

Also, what amount of food are you feeding? Sounds like your girl is getting a good amount of exercise... good for you!

Olivia

Edit: Just noticed you are in the UK. Check out a vet school for more extensive thyroid testing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
ive actually been re-evaluating that a lot recently as all they seem to care about is getting your money and not in your pets health

Don't be afraid to make that change. I know i was when i first got ty and i could have saved myself $800 that i basically forked over to the vets over a two month period if i had just got a second opinion lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts