Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if dogs can tell the time - i came in from school today and my grandad was here because he is doing some decorating for us.
Anyways he told me that everyday this week (hes been here all week working) all the dogs go and sit at the door at around 3 o'clock at look at the door and dont move until i come in - i come in at around 3:15 o'clock.
i dont think its just a coincidence because he says they do it everyday (they dont do that on weekends tho, or when im in)

does anyone elses dogs do this?

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Chico wakes me up about 10 -15 mins before my alarm should go off...... and he had his rountines.... get up, go out, get food......and if I do this out of sequnce... lol... he starts whining (esp. if the food part gets moved later)......lol

Oh and I think they know words..... I can say 'wanna go to your SPA" and he goes nuts....

·
Registered
793 Posts
every day like clockwork Evian wakes me up at 5am to go potty!! Early I know...:rolleyes: It is a routine thing, if anything is out of order she whines too hah

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
When my late dog Toby was being looked after by my late mum many years ago, every night my mum had to get ready for work at 9-00, Toby would ping ping around her feet before she would get up from her armchair, it was always 9-00pm. :D

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
in reality, time doesn't even exist :albino: my dexter woke me up by scratching my nose, it's like he knows i shouldnt be snoozing and waking up for work LOL!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Oh yeah...it's their internal clock. Just like we have. That's why I can never sleep in on the weekends. My body is use to getting up at 7am all week, and that's that lol!! Same with dogs, It's all repitition. It's cute isn't it :) Dogs get set in their ways just like people.

Lori

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah...it's their internal clock. Just like we have. That's why I can never sleep in on the weekends. My body is use to getting up at 7am all week, and that's that lol!! Same with dogs, It's all repitition. It's cute isn't it :) Dogs get set in their ways just like people.

Lori
i find it adorable!! esp when they are waiting at the door for you to come home :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes my dogs know when it is time for my husband to come home and they go sit in the bay window and watch for him. We had another chi 3 years ago that was really smart. She died from the dog food recall, didn't know that was what it was until about a month later. Anyway, you could spell walk and she would beat you to the door and wait for you. same thing for ride or bath. Our 2 now are getting that way also, not with the spelling yet but they know what ride, walk and go outside all mean and let you know that they do. They also know when I put ice in glasses for meals that it is time to eat and beat my husband to the kitchen and are ready for their meals.
Mom to Bootsie and Missy

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
in reality, time doesn't even exist :albino: my dexter woke me up by scratching my nose, it's like he knows i shouldnt be snoozing and waking up for work LOL!
Yes exactly ^_^ Dogs have no concept of time, as that is something that we have invented. They have something like an internal clock that is based on external stimuli and events in their environment being indicators of events that may frequently happen simultaneously though. Like shortly after the sun comes up, Yoshi knows I get up ... on the weekends when I don't get up, she wakes me up because she thinks I should be getting up, since the sun is up. But time, they have no idea.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Yep they absolutely have an internal clock and it's not just dogs that can either. My mother in law's parrot starts squawking like crazy and her cat comes out and waits by the food dish shortly before she arrives home from work every day.

My dogs wake me up when it's time to go potty in the morning (not fun on weekends!) and they never fail to let me know when it's dinner time regardless of how busy I am! My guinea pigs also remind me when it's their breakfast and dinner time as well. Seriously I could live without a clock and know exactly when potty and feeding times are because of the animals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts