Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering whether if you can leave chi's alone during the day? im a chihuahua-less student at the moment but i cant wait to get my first chi! but seeing as i'll be at uni during the day i dont know whether it'd get too lonely. i live at home with my parents and my dad's home during the day but he's disabled and cant get too involved with the chi.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can leave mine for about 5 hours all alone without any problems. But Richie is already 7 months old and with a baby, i think, it is more complicated- he'll need to get used to you and his new place, will have to be fed, played with and trained... Maybe he will not get lonely, because your dad is there. Depends really on how long you'll be away. I was lucky that I had about two weeks free after I got my baby so I could really watch every step :lol:

Richie's mom

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks alot. i finish university for the summer in may and dont go back till october so i might get m chi at the begining of summer so it has plenty of time to settle in and i can train it.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I think it is fine to leave them alone. They snooze, they sun-bathe, etc. I would definitely recommend confining yours to some small-ish area, at least at first. Ours stay in the dining room while we are out. There are no cords for them to chew or carpet to potty on. Ours are alone for maybe 7 hours a day. We did get Lola primarily to keep Bosco company although I don't know whey we bothered - they both just snooze all day. :)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
i agree with anna - I leave mine for a maximum of 7 - 8 hours but this only 2 or 3 times a weeks :wave: plus they have each other

·
Registered
251 Posts
I guess, it really makes a difference if there are two of them and if they are grown up dogs. I wouldn't leave a puppy alone for more than 4 hours. I just remember Richie doing all kind of crazy things like chewing on cables and doors even when I was there;) And staying in the cage for such long time must be so depressing...

Richie's mom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts