Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ren is pad trained, but I would like to switch him to using a litter box instead. I found a box that's a good size with a low side to step in, and I have a plan for how to transition him, but I am not sure what kind of litter to use.

I know about Purina's "Second Nature" dog litter, but my local PetSmart doesn't carry it (although I could buy it through their website) and it seems fairly expensive anyway. I heard that the sandy cat litter that clumps is not good for dogs in case they ingest it, but would the non-clumping kind be okay to use? I've seen "Yesterday's News" cat litter which is also by Purina and I've heard is similar to Second Nature. Could I use that? Or what about Feline Pine or other similar litters? Many of them are even cheaper.

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
No No No any regular litter is dangerous! Not ingestable and they will try to eat it. I tried this with my two and the Chis won the battle.

I use all natural cat litter (HOLISTIC) they have wheat based, corn based, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had lots of trouble finding a litter box for Willy and happened upon a gardeners potting box that works perfect. It has the low front, high sides and back and works perfect with the 23x24 pee pads. I had considered using Purina's dog litter, but think the pads are the best route. They go on sale for $29.95 for 150 pads. I just change the pad every morning and pick up the poops and flush them throughout the day. I put the box on a large towel for the times he gets a paw wet.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
I had lots of trouble finding a litter box for Willy and happened upon a gardeners potting box that works perfect. It has the low front, high sides and back and works perfect with the 23x24 pee pads. I had considered using Purina's dog litter, but think the pads are the best route. They go on sale for $29.95 for 150 pads. I just change the pad every morning and pick up the poops and flush them throughout the day. I put the box on a large towel for the times he gets a paw wet.

I use the bottom of an outdoor dog house (the hard plastic ones) and put two pads in it. It is high on the sides but low in the front. That way if sonny lifts his leg and hits the wall no big deal I can just wipe it off

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you don't have a dog house to use, I found that Gardener's thing on Amazon. It's $17.24. It's called, "Argee RG155 Table-Top Gardener Portable Potting Tray".

·
Registered
237 Posts
What about feline pine? I use it for my cat. We live in an apartment and it never ever smells, unless she poops, then we just flush the poop. Both dogs have picked up pieces of that litter and thought they were yummy treats. If there is any left on the floor after I change it the cat bats it around all night long. It's a multipurpose litter! Lol It's just bits of wood smooshed into pellets.

·
Registered
563 Posts

I use the bottom of an outdoor dog house (the hard plastic ones) and put two pads in it. It is high on the sides but low in the front. That way if sonny lifts his leg and hits the wall no big deal I can just wipe it off
Thanks for the ideas for a tray. I been wondering what to use with a potty pad.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts