Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has everything to do with raw food, but has backstory. Bear with me.

I took my chihuahua to the vet yesterday to find out why she was growing boobies (oh yeah, I bet you all know why.)

Well apparently my spayed female is not so spayed. In fact, she's quite pregnant right now with one puppy.

x.x

Fortunately, x-rays showed her hips should be wide enough to deliver naturally, and since there is only one we're going to keep the puppy.

I want to give this puppy the absolute best in life from the get go, from the absolute beginning, and while I can't change that mom only got her regular food up until now, I want to do everything I can so this puppy can have the best possible start.

I've been studying for the past two days, and as far as I can tell, best chance for him is to feed him (well, or her) raw from the get go.

I've been reading through the links in the sticky, but I'd just like some personal thoughts on weaning from milk onto raw. Also, is it dangerous to start giving mom raw?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm not savvy enough in raw to give you proper advice on this but I just want to commend you on taking the steps to be a proper owner and stepping up to the plate.

Next I have a question. I don't think your back story goes back far enough yet..How did you get a thought to be spay now pregnant chihuahua and how far along is she and last but not least, do you have any idea who the father is?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm afraid I'm not a proper owner, or I'd have figured this out sooner. She's my first female, and I believed the person who sold her to me when she said my dog was spayed. I have an uncut male show dog, who will be neutered once we finish showing, so it had to have been him.

She never showed any signs of bleeding, or looked particularly large in back. I never saw him humping her, so I just assumed everything was fine. I take responsibility for that. I can't change that she's pregnant, but I can get her spayed after this puppy is out, and I can give this puppy the best start possible, and I can guarantee he'll have a forever home.

In the mean time, I have the future of both dogs to think about, and I'm just trying to do my research and get these dogs the best possible care.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm curious too about the father, update us when you can.

As for feeding Raw, don't be nervous. I am still new at
it so I will leave all the advice to the much more advanced
raw feeders on this forum. However, from one newbie to
another....it's really not that hard. It takes a little more
planning, but once you get organized it's really simple.

And one more added bonus is the very incredible and
super nice people on this forum that will come to your
rescue for any and every question you have! :love1:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brody this is exactly what I was looking for! I'll grab some chicken necks from the butcher when s/he's about ready to wean.

How do I grind it? Or maybe the butcher will do that for me...

EDIT: Added to say that I'll be doing a DNA test on the pup to find out at the very least if daddy was a chi or not.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
There are grinders you can buy. Northern tool has some good ones as does one stop jerky shop. You can also look at stores like cabelas or Bass pro shops as hunters use them for jerky and meats they process. You can also do hand cranked grinders but they take some muscle!

You could also start off on cornish hens or bone in chicken breasts and bash them to a pulp with a hammer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are pre-packaged frozen Raw diets available at the holistic pet food stores as well, sorry I don't know of any in the States - I live in Canada. All you have to do is thaw and feed, mine does not come with fruits or veggies so I purchase dehydrated veggies and add it to the meat at meal time. Then what you can do is supplement the meals with meaty bones such as chicken or duck necks, my little guy also loves antlers to chew on!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Come to think of it, I've got a meat grinder for my stand mixer. I don't think I've ever even gotten it out of the box. Would that work?

I have tons of antlers and access to plenty of raw meaty bones. I don't have ready access to pre-made raw, unless I want to order direct.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I personally found that the pre-mades are very expensive versus the cost
of preparing your own food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts