Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In June we rescued a Chihuahua . A week after we got her she came into heat. We were miserable. So I counted 3 months after the heat and booked her in for a spay. She is to go in next Wednesday.

Well she is showing signs or behaving like she did when she was coming into heat. She is licking and seems swollen. And she is flirting with my neutered male.

Could she be in heat again so quickly? Ugh! I hope not. I looked and it was around June 13th. The vet assistant said anything is possible. But they dont' want to spay her if she is in heat.

Her heat seemed to last for a month too. It was aweful.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes they can :) girls who are intact will go into heat when they are moved home as it gives them another chance to have babies. This heat could be when her original was due!!

Looks like you've got another month of it!!! Was se rescued from a shelter as they normally spay efore rehoming

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Watch her closely. If she spikes a temp, or becomes lethargic - get her to the vet immediately. Bleeding that soon after a season could be a pyometra which can be fatal. NOT to scare you, just mentioning that possibility.

It probably IS just another heat, which will be a pain so soon after she finished one! Those hormones will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I agree with what Tracy's mom said, keep a very close eye on her and if you notice anything off get her to a vet asap. Pyometra can kill them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Maya went into heat and I thought she was well over it. Took her in for her spay at about 2 months after and she was still in heat!!! Vet found a big cyst on her ovary that he said would prolong it like that. So, I would take her in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much guys. I will keep tabs and be ready to take her in if need be. I am also going to google the pyometra and educate myself. Wow so glad you told be what to watch for. She is spunky so far, but I will watch her temp like you said.

We have owned our one Chihuahua for a few years. Well a client of mine fell in love with my Pippa and decided she wanted a Chi.
She heard about a byb that was moving into an apartment and getting rid of her dogs. She took in Sonny. Sonny is barely 3 and has had 3 litters.

Well Sonny flipped out and was terrified of them and their dogs. She hid under their bed for two weeks and couldn't be handled. She was hysterical if anyone tried to touch her.

They felt bad for her and asked if we wanted her. I said no, but I would take her to get her out of the situation while they found her a home. Thinking if we took her that being around another chi would be comforting to her.

Well of course we fell in love.
She is so sweet and spunky. Her one fear is that you will pick her up. So if she always comes to you on her terms she is fine. She fits right in , so she has a forever home with us.

Just gotta get her spayed ! Ugh!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
That's really sad :( poor baby

Id try and work on the being help she could get a but snappy if people go near her and unfortunately people are ignorant and stupid and shove their hands in chis faces and try to pick them up!! I have a nervous puppy she doesn't like people much lol but she has improved dramatically coz um notgivinf her a choice she comes everywhere and meets every walk of life today she sat on my friend and mydads lap happily giving kisses... It's taken 4 weeks of daily coaxing

I hope shes ok

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
yes. I rescued Tillie and she wasn't due but came into heat. I think it's a reaction to all the change. Then apparantly they can come in again when they were due but my vet said wait 2 months from the end of her heat to get her spayed which I did and she was done.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sonny is doing good. I think it is just a heat. THank you Marie, it is reasuring to hear that it happened with Tilly.
I called the vet and explained that I waited 3 months after her heat to make my appointment.
THey said I only had to wait 3 weeks after the heat is done. That made me feel bad for not doing it sooner. I don't know.
I was nervous. But listened and rescheduled her appointment for the end of October.
The rabbit still goes in on Wednesday. Oh don't know if I mentioned but our rabbit is getting neutered. He was scheduled for the same time. I want him to stay mellow and his urine is starting to get strong. We love our rabbit.

thanks all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts