Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only know the basics-fawn, black/tan, cream, etc. What color would you classify/call this girl? Did your pup look like this as a baby? Do you have a photo of this coloring as an adult? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I just got a chi puppy in December and she looks very similar (don't have pics uploaded yet, sorry). My pup, Calleigh is a black sabled fawn w/white markings. I think that is what yours is also!:D

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yes, I agree. Black sabled fawn. :) I bet some of his sabling will disappear as he matures so he'll be a bit lighter than he is now. Gorgeous pup btw!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! She was a litter mate of our girl and I did not know what to call her coloring! I knew you girls would know right away.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It can be kind of tricky to predict how a sable's coat will look as an adult. Typically they do lose a lot/most of their black.
My puppy Leo is a red fawn sable.
Here he is when we first got him about 11 weeks (his pic in my siggy is old too, you can see all the black on his head which was similarly marked to that pup)

And here he is just a few weeks ago, you can see how much hes lightened up, he still has black throughout his coat but much much less (pardon his runny eyes in this pic :))

Both Hope and that pup are very cute! Is your breeder local? ( I'm in Lawrence)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, our breeder is in Kansas! She is in Paola.

Hope (and the puppy in these pictures) came from a first breeding of her mom and the dad who are both 3 years old. She indicated that she plans to breed that pair again in the Spring/Summer. We are really considering a second, from that litter. The puppy would be Hope's full blooded sister but about 1 year younger. Thinking about it.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
awww Leo is growing up so handsome!

and yes I can see he has lightened up, will he continue to do that?
Thank you! Im not sure, he has also started to lose the black stripe down his back, but still has a black tail. His mom is colored very similarly, same black tail and same cream colored chin and chest so I think his coat my stay like this and favor his mum. I looked at her pics again the other day and he is still a richer red color than she is, but other than that they seem to have identical coats, minus the thickness of course. Im thinking he wont change much more but who knows really.

Yes, our breeder is in Kansas! She is in Paola.

Hope (and the puppy in these pictures) came from a first breeding of her mom and the dad who are both 3 years old. She indicated that she plans to breed that pair again in the Spring/Summer. We are really considering a second, from that litter. The puppy would be Hope's full blooded sister but about 1 year younger. Thinking about it.
They both look to be lovely girls! If youve found a local breeder youre happy with I would certainly stick with them, we have so many mills/bybs in the kansas, mo area that a good one is HARD to find! I ended up getting Leo from Texas! Would you mind PMing your breeders info or site to me?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They both look to be lovely girls! If youve found a local breeder youre happy with I would certainly stick with them, we have so many mills/bybs in the kansas, mo area that a good one is HARD to find! I ended up getting Leo from Texas! Would you mind PMing your breeders info or site to me?
I certainly will pm you.
We love her. Their website is not very fancy but they are such nice people. She was transporting a couple of dogs-one to California and one Texas when we were there selecting Hope.
Hope went every kind of crazy when we met up with her for a final puppy shot (not at their home so it was not because of the puppies and her parents). She clearly knew her. It was sweet!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is another colouring question for all you experts:

Is a "tri-colour" ALWAYS white, black and brown? Or can a tri-colour be a dog with ANY 3 colours? *scratches head*

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, my goodness! Squiglet looks so much bigger in your siggy! He is DARLING!!!
How old is he now and what does he weigh? What an expressive face!

·
Registered
787 Posts
It can be kind of tricky to predict how a sable's coat will look as an adult. Typically they do lose a lot/most of their black.
Lyra's coat is doing the exact opposite. When i got her at around 5 months, she was completely fawn with just a faint hint of sable down her back. Now, at 11 months, she's got a wide, sable stripe from the base of her neck down to her tail tip. She looks like a skunk in reverse! :D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
What a nice puppy! I am not sure I agree w/ everyone else's color pick though hehe. I do think it is a blue fawn. The blue may or may not fall out as the pup ages. It could just be my computer screen tho? I mean, the puppy ALMOST looks blue and cream, it's one of the most unique lil fellas I've ever seen :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Weather permitting, we will be taking Hope back to visit the breeder this upcoming weekend. They were going to keep this little girl in these pictures (my husband instantly wanted her so we asked even though she was not one we were given from which to choose) to breed but have decided that she is tracking to be too small for them to wish to breed. I appreciate that they are being particular about their breeding choices.

They offered her to us since we had expressed interest first before listing her as available. One puppy at a time is enough for me! I am eager, however, to see what her color looks like after seeing her last.

If she is not taken by then and is there, I will try to take a picture and post here. She was just 6 or so weeks in these photos and she will be 15.5 weeks when we go.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I certainly will pm you.
We love her. Their website is not very fancy but they are such nice people. She was transporting a couple of dogs-one to California and one Texas when we were there selecting Hope.
Hope went every kind of crazy when we met up with her for a final puppy shot (not at their home so it was not because of the puppies and her parents). She clearly knew her. It was sweet!
Thats awesome! I felt the same way when I brought Leo home, you can just tell when theyve been well loved by the breeder.

Lyra's coat is doing the exact opposite. When i got her at around 5 months, she was completely fawn with just a faint hint of sable down her back. Now, at 11 months, she's got a wide, sable stripe from the base of her neck down to her tail tip. She looks like a skunk in reverse! :D
Neat! I hope Leos stripe comes back. I know in another thread about coat color Sarah/Daisydoo said that Daisy was starting to get some black back in her coat, I wonder if Lyra had it to begin with, lost it, and now is getting it back, or if shes just now having some sable crop up?
I was going to ask you if youd named Lyra after His Dark Materials, then I saw that you had a Pan as well :)

Weather permitting, we will be taking Hope back to visit the breeder this upcoming weekend. They were going to keep this little girl in these pictures (my husband instantly wanted her so we asked even though she was not one we were given from which to choose) to breed but have decided that she is tracking to be too small for them to wish to breed. I appreciate that they are being particular about their breeding choices.

They offered her to us since we had expressed interest first before listing her as available. One puppy at a time is enough for me! I am eager, however, to see what her color looks like after seeing her last.

If she is not taken by then and is there, I will try to take a picture and post here. She was just 6 or so weeks in these photos and she will be 15.5 weeks when we go.
Wow, temptation! I wonder whether youll end up bringing her home despite your reservations about 2 puppies at a time :) Ill be curious to see what her coat looks like now. I wonder if Kristi is right about the blue fawn, at first I thought blue but then thought her little nose looked black so she must be a sable, but there is SUCH a variety of coats in chis and its always hard to say for sure from a computer picture. Ill check back for pics for sure!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
breeders call it a "wolf sable" the reason because it is coloring like a wolf. the color on a wolf sable stays pretty close to what you see now unlike other sables change as adults

1 - 20 of 23 Posts