Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had such an up and down ride with housetraining, we are definatly failures.
Pixie is nearly 1, Luna 6 months.
Luna seemed to be potty trained (she hasnt been allowed outside due to an illness for quite a while so we got 'indoor' potties) but then as we went back to work its now a case of sometimes she uses it, sometimes she just doesnt... and Pixie never really got it, I think her breeder didnt help so we definately need to spend more time training her.

Having watched Cesar Milan its true you can teach an old dog new tricks - but is it going to be a challenge still trying to train them at their ages? and is it even possible to train them when we work etc?

We're happy training them to use the indoor potty.
(They are great when we take them outside in the yard in the morning and after meal times as WE and THEY know they need to go at that time....its during the day etc thats difficult, yet the back door is always open etc.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
My pup is now 8 months old and has only been trained to go outside for the past month!!

He still sometimes has accidents if you dont let him out regulary though,

For me the worst thing i could of done was used puppy pads, id never used them before with previous puppies id just put them outside to potty from the very start and they was trained within 2 months of me getting them.

But with Alfie everytime we moved the mat closer to the door he would just do his business in the place where the mat was at first, even if the mat was literally inches away from him.

In the end we took the mat away completley and had to start all over again with just constantly taking him outside, and watching his every move to see if he was sniffing etc.

Do you still speak to the breeder? i asked mine about alfie and he said his mum took a year to train so maybe it runs in the family lol

xx

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
In my opinion it's never too late! Angel trained the quickest of any dog I have ever had!! He uses both a pee pad set up in our downstairs bathroom (he's not allowed upstairs unless totally supervised) or he will go outside. He is 11 months old. The old "tried and true" method of training is to "crate train." I kept him in his crate unless I could watch him like a "hawk!" When he came out I pretty much followed him around or confined him to where I was. They will not (as a rule) pee or pooh where they make their den. It's hard to keep them in the crate all the time, but it is the quickest way to train.

While you are at work, do they have the run of the house? If so, they need to have a confined area. They pretty much need to realize if they go in their "den" it will be there for a while! I would definitely give the crate a try. However, since you are not there to supervise, I would use 2 separate crates.
Good luck! It's probably the most frustrating part of raising a puppy.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Im sure it is possible, you just have to go back to basics as if you have a brand new puppy in the house.
Id like my lot to be totally house trained but it isnt practical at the mo. If Im out (and I cant let them into the run) for 13hours whilst Im at work it wouldnt be fair. As it is my puppy pads form a door mat under the dog flap so their toilet facility is as close as I can get it to outside!!LOL

·
Registered
787 Posts
You can definitely train a dog at any age, though in my experience, the older a dog is, the longer it takes until they "get it". But, I've adopted and fostered dogs of all ages with various housebreaking problems, and with time, patience and good management, they have all improved.

I think if the big problem right now is accidents while you're gone, you should try keeping them in a smaller space like an ex-pen where they have their bed and then the rest of the floor of the ex-pen is covered in pee pads. Then they HAVE to go on the pads. After a few weeks, you cover 3/4ths of the floor with pads instead of the whole floor and if they're still only pottying on the pads, then 1/2 of the floor, then 1/4th, then down to 1 pad. You're basically conditioning their bodies to want to use the pad rather than the floor beneath.

Another option might be a training tool like this: Modern Puppies - Potty Training a Puppy

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
OMG I just saw your dogs name....I just got my first pup and we were flip flopping between Pixie AND Luna hahahaha....turns out we decided on Mia. too funny

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gigi in the last month just got going to the her litterbox. She would always use it in her play pen or when in my bathroom, but when in my bedroom with the litterbox steps away she would pee on the floor.

I don't know how she got it. I didn't do anything differently. When I seen her go to the litterbox for the first time when being free I was sure to praise her. I also bought the little dog panties from etsy. The day I ordered them was the day she started using her litterbox reliably.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You totally can teach an old dog new tricks ;) It helps if you have other dogs around, because they are big on keeping with the trends of the pack. However, with patience and all the other great suggestions made like crating, etc you can totally do it. My Chi Gertie is a sturdy 9 lbs so I figure she isn't so teeny that she has to use puppy pads, so I don't have any experience in that area. I can tell you after reading about the chi's as a breed and their personalities, their learning curve is probably longer because of their strong little wills. With Gertie, I just persistently ask her to obey, reward her when she does and try to set her up for success. I also use ammonia to clean anything she has peed on, because my sister owns a drycleaning business and a chihuahua and that's what she told me to do. The ammonia kills the pee smell somehow and they will TOTALLY pee someplace that smells like they have peed there before. Winter is the hardest because temperatures here go to -30 (I don't know how that converts outside of Canada :p) and they have to learn to scoot out, do a business and scoot back in. Keep being consistent and keep believing it can happen cause it can!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts