Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
You can definitely train a dog at any age, though in my experience, the older a dog is, the longer it takes until they "get it". But, I've adopted and fostered dogs of all ages with various housebreaking problems, and with time, patience and good management, they have all improved.

I think if the big problem right now is accidents while you're gone, you should try keeping them in a smaller space like an ex-pen where they have their bed and then the rest of the floor of the ex-pen is covered in pee pads. Then they HAVE to go on the pads. After a few weeks, you cover 3/4ths of the floor with pads instead of the whole floor and if they're still only pottying on the pads, then 1/2 of the floor, then 1/4th, then down to 1 pad. You're basically conditioning their bodies to want to use the pad rather than the floor beneath.

Another option might be a training tool like this: Modern Puppies - Potty Training a Puppy

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.