Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been asked before, but do any of your dogs watch TV? I read somewhere that dogs aren't suppose to be able to "see" the TV, but they might react to sounds coming from it. Well, with one of my dogs I'd believe that statement. However, I know my Keeshond definitely watches TV, and I think Mo might also.

Keesha hates horses...or any hoofed animal ( why?, I have no idea :lol:), but when one comes on the TV, even with no sounds accompanying it, she'll go ballistic. She will also react to dogs and cats on the TV, even if they aren't making any noise. I've noticed she will start to growl during tense situations in movies...like when they start playing the scary music and you know somebody is going to jump out of the shadows. On one occasion, Keesha completely freaked out when they had a talking parrot on the TV. She stood on her hind legs, to get a better look and began to whine, she was very distressed... as if she was thinking "why is that bird making human noises"? :shock: There is just too much evidence that she can see and understand the pictures on the TV.

Mo is starting to take notice of the TV, but hasn't really reacted to it yet, but I'll catch him watching it for a minute or so. My Shepherd is completely oblivious, unless we have the surround sound on and there are lots of scary sounds...then she will go hide (the big baby). Keesha is not bothered by the sounds. She seems to understand they are just sound effects, but thunder, that is really scary! :lol: .

Anyway, just wondering if any of yours pay attention to the TV? I want to disprove this theory that all dogs can't understand the images on TV. Sorry if I rambled on too long :oops:

·
Registered
257 Posts
They definitely watch TV...

Dobbie loves to watch the Animal channels. When he hears a puppy cry, or a dog, then he jumps up and stands there - alert, face defintely towards the TV, ears up. Then if the crying continues, he looks around at me as if to say, "Mommie, do something to help that poor dog!"

·
Registered
897 Posts
Angel LOVES the tv. And she can definitely see it. She loves both animal shows and shows with people. If there are people on the screen, she wants them to play with her. LOL!

One day I was flipping the channels and came to the PBS station. Teletubbies was on and Angel just went crazy. She started barking at them. They were doing this near/far thing where they would run up close and then run back. Everytime they would run up close, Angel would jump back and start growling. LMAO!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper is a couch potato and watches TV just about all day long. He loves Animal Planet, of course, but he also likes watching the shows about rebuilding cars and motorcycles, British comedies on BBC (so do I, but I can't figure out why he does), and any other show that has animals as the main "character".... except Alf. LOL

Cooper will react to animals on TV, but not really to people. If he sees an animal he's never seen in person, he'll look at me like "what's that?" and I'll tell him "it's an elephant, they're the largest creature on the planet. They can't jump" or a little information about the animal. I know you all already think I'm crazy, so I don't mind telling you that I think he actually understands me when I tell him stuff like that. Once he sees an "unidentified" animal and I tell him what it is, he will never "question" me about the animal again. Odd. His favorite are primates. He loves watching shows about monkeys and apes of all kinds.

I also bought Puppy Bowl, the show Animal Planet showed all day of the Super Bowl this year. It's Cooper's favorite show and I leave it on every now and then during the day for him. I'll sit and watch it for hours, too. LOL

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
chimommy said:
Angel LOVES the tv. And she can definitely see it. She loves both animal shows and shows with people. If there are people on the screen, she wants them to play with her. LOL!

One day I was flipping the channels and came to the PBS station. Teletubbies was on and Angel just went crazy. She started barking at them. They were doing this near/far thing where they would run up close and then run back. Everytime they would run up close, Angel would jump back and start growling. LMAO!
I don't blame her a bit. Those Teletubbies freak me out too! :shock:

G

·
pepi definetly loves tv, well one show in perticular. as soon as he hears coronation street he runs into the front room and starts signing along to it then sits there and watches it. if he is outside when it comes on he starts singing outside and scratches at the door to come in.
he is so cute

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
chimommy said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL..i was going to say that i knew Angel watches tv! :lol: Mine don't really pay any attention to the tv except for a barking dog or a doorbell ringing. Both those things tend to give them hemorroids and causes a bark-fest. :lol:

·
Registered
403 Posts
MY CHI'S ACT THE SAME WAY THERE COULD BE NO SOUND COMING FROM THE TV BUT IF THEY SEE DOGGIES ON IT THEY'LL STARE AND STARE BUT THEY'LL WATCH MOVIES AND EVERYTHING TOO..
.I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE BUT I HEARD THAT FOR -CATS- IF THEY WATCH TV IT MEANS THEIR NOT INTELLIGENT..I DUNNO..

·
Registered
718 Posts
Diego will watch the t.v. once in a while, but he loves looking at my computer screen even more for some reason. Last night he decided to chase the curser with his tongue all over the screen!! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.