Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay to wrap presents that are going to Canada? Sending christmas presents to my brother who lives in Calgary.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You can, but they might have to be opened at Customs. Make sure you clearly list the contents of the package on the front (theyll give you a form to fill out), and hopefully they wont need to open it. The stinky part is having to write whats inside on the package, sort of takes the suspense out of upwrapping everything!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
there was a thread posted yesterday about this I will see if I can find it

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
This time of year, the odds are that they won't be opened, but there are no guarantees. Clearly label the contents, and be careful with the value...I paid duty on Christmas packages that were sent to me there all the time, and it would make me so mad. (They even managed to charge me a huge duty on a wedding album of my daughter and son in laws wedding - they sent it to me as a gift and insured it for $250, and I was forced to pay duty on that amount to get it!)

My grandmother sent me a cordless phone set one year for Christmas...They charged me more duty on it than it cost in the US!!!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is just so stupid, why do they make you pay to receive a package?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Just really low ball it. They make you list everything in the package, and the value of each item. I just put things like sweater- $10, book-$7. Its not necessarily believable, but it is possible! Try to keep your total under $50. The last time I mailed a big package to Canada I sent it UPS and they made me write my debit card info so Customs could easily charge any duties they wanted right to my bank account. Its better than having the recipient pay for their gift, but it still made me a little nervous that they might take like $100 out of my account without notice. I didnt end up being charged anything, luckily :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
That is just so stupid, why do they make you pay to receive a package?
Because they want the money spent there, in Canada...

Supposedly anything valued $50 or under and listed as a gift won't be hit with the duty, but it's just not always true. My daughter sent me some VS lotion and body spray - you know how they run the specials at 6 for $30.00??? Well, customs decided to ignore the value she put on it, and charged me duty by the stickers on the bottles, which was way more than what she actually paid for it. :foxes15:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Yes take the tags off!! My mom ordered tanning lotion off eBay as it was much cheaper customs opened it and charged her more than it was worth they are dumb I hate ordering stuff online u never know what you're going to get hit with for xtra fees! That Is why I didn't wanna risk bringing that puppy over kristi mentioned it's just too risky with those people they charge whatever they want too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts