Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm thinking about advanced training for Ponyo, and getting her a "Canine Good Citizen" certification! Anybody ever gotten their Chihuahua this?

I live in Colorado so I don't know how differently the rules apply. I'm also considering an advanced training class. Any information would be most appreciated!!! :color: :color: :color:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I have done up to advanced training with Mia &Raisin. Lily started right away and is completing Novice this weekend at 8 months. She will start advanced right after. It is so much fun and maybe even more important for "us"! They have all three thrived in classes full of German shepards, dobermans, labs, etc. they are by far the smallest in the class. My girls show them all how it is done.
Lily would prance into her classes to awwwsss & laughs. The owner of the Cane Corso put it into words..."she showed them all, without a doubt outperforming them all". Her husband is a policeman, they are training for protection.
I would recommend googling and looking for the best training facility, it is wonderful bonding for all of you.
I take them to nursing homes and hospitals, travel with them, etc. we can take them out with us to outside restaurants and the sit quietly while we eat.
Do it!! You will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Debby has the right idea. Canine Good Citizen training is all on leash, except for the stay and come cues. My older dog has her CGC/TDI and worked at Rush University Hospital for several years, before she got her heart murmur, and I retired her. I took several obedience classes (puppy class and beginner) and then I took the CGC/TDI test. She passed it the first time! Have a great time---just make sure any training you do is positive. No jerking/negative stuff.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used all positive reinforcement to train her up to this point, and it has been working miracles. Part of the reason I want to see how far she can go! She's come so far already for only being with me and in my heart since December.

Thank you, ladies!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Please keep us updated how you do! Canine Good citizen is definitely a big goal for me and Lubu, and I'm hoping to get him started in agility training once he is a bit bigger. I found an awesome training facility only 20 minutes from my house. Unfortunately I might be moving over the summer to Maine, hopefully we can find another place there!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Mine is a Service Dog so he would likely pass a CGC but has never done it. We are doing a Public Access Test instead. He's been a working dog for a long time but he developed a bit of a distraction issue so we've been working with a trainer on it (they have other dogs to use as distractions) and they will run him through a PAT at the end for me. Handy.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Mine is a Service Dog so he would likely pass a CGC but has never done it. We are doing a Public Access Test instead. He's been a working dog for a long time but he developed a bit of a distraction issue so we've been working with a trainer on it (they have other dogs to use as distractions) and they will run him through a PAT at the end for me. Handy.
That is why I recommend a good training facility. Mine, anyways, has controlled distractions with other dogs, loud noises, bouncing ball right next to them, etc. thank goodness you your service dog was able to find competent help.
They can all be trained in obedience CGC/TDI, but unless it is done in a group of dog and with distractions, I don't believe it is complete.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah- my boy has always been a great worker but when I was gone 8 months he developed a few "quirks" that weren't very desirable for a service dog. I did all of his original training by myself but decided to work with these professionals for the touch up stuff. It's going awesome.

He's still excellent for school and most public places, we are doing touch up right now though for the rusty spots. :p

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I got Copley a CGC way back, and I got Kerri tested as soon as she turned a year. A few months later she passed her therapy dog test too. Copley- while he would pass the therapy dog test, I don't think he would do great as a therapy dog so we haven't done it. With Copley I did all the training myself and just found a place that did the CGC test, that is how I found my training place actually! He went on to do some agility and a bunch of rally-o. Kerri I am really concentrating on the agility thing, but we also have been doing some obedience stuff when we have time, I think it is all wonderful! The CGC can help with certain homeowners insurance, and also with some landlords and hotels (one place i stay waves the hotel fee if you have a CGC). I think it is a really good idea for everyone to get it with all their dogs, it has even held up in court with some he said-she said dogfight cases- all things being equal between two dogs they are more likely to believe the dog with the CGC was not at fault. Unlike the therapy dog test, it is really passable by any dog if you put in the training in my opinion.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, Annie!

A bunch of stuff I didn't know. Thank you so much! Yes, I would love to get that for her. Like a lot of chihuahuas, she feels better when she's up in someone's arms, so I'm wondering if she could pass the, "Here, will you watch my dog?" portion with me handing her off to someone and leaving... I do that every day at the shop with the girls I work with and have done it with acquaintances, too. She's fine like that (and will let strangers pet her while she's in a stranger's arms) but I feel like if she was on the ground she really wouldn't do well...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts