Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About once a week, maybe less often than that I give Zoey either Sardines or Mackeral that is canned. I was checking out the label on the Mackeral I picked up at it's 280mg of Sodium, I know you are supposed to give meats that are less than 100mg of Sodium, so is the Mackeral bad to feed on occasion?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I mix a can of Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon in with THK. It's pretty high in sodium but because I portion the batch out, she's not getting all the sodium at once. I alternate the fish with steak & chicken.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Some dogs are sensitive to sodium and it can cause itching and an upset tummy. Brody is pretty tolerant of it. I accidentally bought enhanced chicken once and didn't realize it until I'd fed all the way through it and he tolerated it fine. He does fine with canned salmon/mackerel/sardines as well.

If you just give a tablespoon or so of the fish - she should be fine with it. You wouldn't be giving a whole serving which is usually half the can.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Oh my word!! I was wondering why the heck some of my pups were itching yesterday...and last week. I gave them sardines last week & mackerel yesterday morning. I was flea combing them like mad thinking maybe we had fleas again & was puzzled because we came up empty handed. LOL Their poos have been ok--but I'm glad to know that perhaps the itchies came from the canned fish. Maybe they just can't tolerate the extra sodium. Too bad becaues they love it & it's cheap. Maybe I'll just reduce the amount I give (though I didn't think I gave them that much to begin with?)?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Just read the mackerel label--280mg of sodium in 1/4c (6 servings per can). I split about 2/3 of a can between my six. Apparently it was a bit much for them... But at least I know why they were going nuts itching yesterday. LOL

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zoey has tolerated it just fine (has had salmon, mackeral & sardines canned), but as you said it's not like it's a whole can or 1/2 a can, she only gets a spoonful as I feed it with Smelt, Ziva cannot handle enhanced, I accidentally fed her some boneless chicken breast that was enhanced and omg the itchies/red rash was too much. Poor girl.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts