Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tansy is 11 weeks old, and currently on canned food 3 times a day, and free feeding of dry, although she doesn't eat nearly as much dry. It seems that most people seem to feed all dry? Is it just a personal preference, or is there more reason to it? I know that dry food keeps their teeth better, but is there more beyond that?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I think alot of wet food is not chosen because of it means "sloppier" poos, iT STINKS, its not great for teeth, its got alot of calories in. They are just a few reasons!

I personally am just feeding dry at the moment. I used to feed wet but I dnt like it too much!

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have fed my dogs only dry since i got them...with my last dog i found when started him on wet and he never wanted to go back to dry....dry is easy and supposed to be healthier for them i think.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
SnickersMom said:
Small dogs are prone to bad teeth. Dry food helps clean their teeth.
That's exactly right!

They should be on mostly dry.
You can try mixing the wet and dry and gradually decrease the amount of wet food.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I feed only dry Its just easier & cheaper than feeding wet especially if you have more than one dog. The same rule applies to my cat on special occasions like birthdays or holiday my cat & outside dog gets a can of wet but thats it. Tader{my chi} isnt allowed to eat it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I feed dry kibble but add about a teaspoon of Gerber veal baby food. Both of my chi's love it. Regular canned food has too many calories and unless you buy the good stuff they aren't really healthy. I buy Old Mother Hubbard canned food for my labs and they do fine on it..I found it made the chis too chubby.

Kim

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I prefer the dry for several reasons - I free feed Jasmine, and with the dry I don't have to worry about spoilage. Dry is much better for their teeth, and I just think it is healthier overall. Dry is usually lower in calories - you get more of the "good" stuff and less calories per serving. And dry kibble means firmer, less smelly stools.

I do occasionally mix a tablespoon or so of wet food or some leftover veggies with a small amount of dry kibble for the evening meal. If Jasmine doesn't eat it all before we go to bed, I discard what is left. I don't trust it sitting overnight due to spoilage/bacteria.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie gets a measured amount of dry left out to free feed but he mostly just nibbles at it. In the evening he gets a TBL of wet mixed with most of the remainder of dry IT'd definitely better for their teeth

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Roxy gets RC now I finally got her switched over and she gets a little bit of wet food at night. It makes me feel better because she hardley eats anything at all. But she will eat the wet food.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ms_P said:
SnickersMom said:
Small dogs are prone to bad teeth. Dry food helps clean their teeth.
That's exactly right!

They should be on mostly dry.
You can try mixing the wet and dry and gradually decrease the amount of wet food.
Yup yup! Snap only eats dry food, he's a picky eater, and his teeth are very nice and clean and he makes good poopies, lol! His poop doesn't smell that bad unless you get real close to it...ugh, lol. Anyway I would definately suggest dry food! :wave: :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Peanut used to eat only dry and then stopped eating and I was forced to give him canned food mixed with kibbles. Just yesterday he started eating kibbles without the canned food!!! :D YaY :D . So I am going to stay with the kibbles alone and hope that he continues to eat only dry kibbles because I know for all the reasons that everyone already stated that its not very good for them. If you CAN only give your Chi kibbles then that would be your best bet when it comes to health and teeth!

Yael

·
Registered
683 Posts
I feed my girl both dry food and canned - as far as i know both of them are ok for your dog. The difference is dry is better for their teeth and canned food is more tasty for them. I give my dog half and half through the week so she gets a variety, i give her denta stix and rusks to ensure her teeth are kept clean - bones are also very good!

Im not sure if canned has more calories but as long as your dogs active and healthy then they should be fine. Also my dogs loo is fine no matter what she eats - so maybe some foods dont suit certain dogs stomachs or maybe their too young too tolerate certain foods!

Hope this helps a lil

Love Gilli & Coco :wave:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts