Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Khorra and Dakota are too small to fit any of the basic H style or step in style harnesses I can find at the local pet stores. I don't want to spend much money on these right now because they will outgrow them before too long. I'm supposed to go to a Chi meetup this Saturday and I am going to need harnesses. Even the cat harnesses are too big, lol! The smallest I am finding at the stores is 10" girth. That is way too big on these guys. The ones I have, I was planning on sewing them to make smaller, but when I got my machine out, it broke. It's been on it's last leg for quite awhile so I ordered a new sewing machine. That finally got here and they shipped it without the power cord!!:foxes15: I've called and they are sending me out a cord, but I don't think it will be here in time to sew up these harnesses by Saturday. So frustrating.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
What about a ferret collar? Many people use those at first with the really tiny ones like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Banned
10,704 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have to give in and get a ferret harness. The only thing I don't like about them is that there is no strap that runs underneath connecting the loop that goes around the neck and the loop that goes around the chest.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
This could work. I would prefer to have the bottom parts of the straps connected by a strip as well, but I may have to use something like this until they get older.

Can't be too picky when it comes to tiny harnesses, there is nothing out there
as tiny as the one I posted...well at least I did not find any. You can however,
get one custom made in the size you desire from Park Avenue.

Designer dog harness, small dog harness, dog walking harness. -

...or perhaps even Etsy.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I got a kitten harness for Mylo which was only 5.99 and came with a lead too (most of the other harness started at £10 to give you an idea of how much that is). I want to get him a good one when he's a little bigger and won't grow out of it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the only harness Bella has, only thing that is tiny enough.

Li'l Pals Printed Adjustable Small Dog Harness 6"-10" | eBay

You won't find one smaller. And I looked at ferret harnesses, I found them to be too long.
I ended up going up to Petco and they had this harness in black. It fits really good but the only problem is when they try to pull away from the leash because they aren't used to it, the harness ends up twisting around. Khorra actually did this spastic circular move really quickly and the harness came off. I didn't think I had it on her too loose.

These are so cute! I love love love that ladybug costume!!!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
When Kerri weighed 3.8 lbs this was nearly too big for her and it has a lot of adjustment room. It says 9 inches is the smallest it gets but I can get it tight around my wrist (I just pulled it out and tried). You just have to sort of pull the buckle through the loop for it so you can get the whole belly portion doubled back (it will make sense if you had it in front of you) and I don't think they measure for that.
Small Dog Roman Harness - Lupine Collars and Leads

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When Kerri weighed 3.8 lbs this was nearly too big for her and it has a lot of adjustment room. It says 9 inches is the smallest it gets but I can get it tight around my wrist (I just pulled it out and tried). You just have to sort of pull the buckle through the loop for it so you can get the whole belly portion doubled back (it will make sense if you had it in front of you) and I don't think they measure for that.
Small Dog Roman Harness - Lupine Collars and Leads
Those might work. That is the style I really like. I know that the 10" ones are a bit big, but 9" might do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts