Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end. My chi is 8 months old and hasn't been on a proper walk because of this and it upsets me to my core. I cannot get a harness on this guy. I currently have a step in one hoping it'd be easier, but as I put his paws in he takes them right back out. I've scoured the entire internet and tried so much training and it goes well till the point of pulling it back and actually securing it. He was afraid of the velcro and buckles. I think i desensitized him fine since he doesn't flinch at the sound anymore, still didnt work. Today he snapped at me, so I thought the issue is me touching his back. I trained him on that even put the harness and left it hanging on his back, let it touch him everywhere + treats each time and he's FINE. is not scared at all. So he is cool with touching it and maybe slipping in a paw for a little bit. Just can't get it secured. He bites and snaps and rocks his head back and forth where ever my hand is to nip me. I eventually got it on today with a fight and it was a mess. one paw was in the neck hole instead ugh. He also completely froze up so I know that will be a future prob.

Had the same issue with a collar and clothes. cant get them on. idk where i'm wrong? He understands NILF training. he works for everything he gets and knows i'm alpha. I did touch training before and i can touch his neck, back, anywhere really with no prob.

My main question is, do I continue training step my step (maybe a month long, 5-min sessions per day?), or do I just force it on and leave it on till he gets used to it. The problem with forcing it is I did this with his collar when he was younger, he got used to it. I took it off for bath time, and never once got that thing back on. I don't want to traumatize him like the collar. This harness is also new, the first time he saw it was from treats, so he doesn't have a previous negative association with it. He gets excited when I take it out because he only gets specific beef liver treats when we do harness training. I feel like I'm doing everything right :(

Any help is appreciated guys. I've had him for 6 months but it honestly has not been the best, I love him dearly but everyday there is something causing me stress and I am losing my mind :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear your having such a hard time. I suggest taking your boy out front to put his harness on and walking back and forth in front of your house for a week then go a little farther to see how that works. Don't give a treat and if he pulls or struggles just give a sound command and show him what you want. He loves you and will want to please you. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
My daughter has a harness that slips over the head and buckles behind the front legs. You don’t need to lift the legs. She has Down syndrome and she still can get the harness on in about 10 seconds. Slides over the head, buckles on the side. Your anxious about getting the harness on, he feels that anxiety and thinks your scared of the harness. You must do it quickly and calmly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts