Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Peaches got spayed and micro chipped about two weeks ago and Thankful everything went well except now she is having anxiety in the car. Kiwi and Peaches both come to work with me almost everyday. We have an hour drive one way. Ever since I picked her up from the vets she paces in the car, yawns over and over, paints even though its not hot and will make a hacking noise. She also cries the whole ride. She only does this when we are in the car once we get to where we are going she is fine. Before the surgery she would look out the window for a few minutes and go to sleep for the whole ride. I asked the vet about it when she got her stitches out and she said that she went through a traumatic event and that little dogs are skid-dish and that with time she will get over it. Well it has been two weeks and she is not getting over it. Does any one have any suggestions?
Thanks
Ericka :)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Is there anyway that you can take her for a short ride, maybe a few evenings or a weekend or something, just a ride to the nearest ice cream place or a store where you can get her a treat. Do this a few times till she associates riding with getting something good. The McDonalds drive through for a hamburger. Just anything at all like that.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Tinker said:
Is there anyway that you can take her for a short ride, maybe a few evenings or a weekend or something, just a ride to the nearest ice cream place or a store where you can get her a treat. Do this a few times till she associates riding with getting something good. The McDonalds drive through for a hamburger. Just anything at all like that.
i agree with that advice....

the yawning, pacing and panting behaviour is associated with stress anxiety. it is still early you can help her get through it.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tired that and she still is acting strange. Has this ever happened to any one else. I asked the vet if I should leave her at home but she said that I should not change her routine that it might stress her out more. I just feel so bad for her. She had to stay at the vets for 3 days and when I went to pick her up she screamed at the vets when they tried to get her out the kennel then when she saw me she jumped from the tech arms on to me she was so happy that she shredded my neck and chest with her nail to were I was bleeding, but How could be upset with her.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Poor little kiwi. I feel for her... have you tried any of those puppy claming things like Pet calm or comfort zone spray? maybe if you try that she will calm down and then you reduce the amount of spray or pill (which ever one you use) as she gets better about being in the car... I bet is is really stressed out and maybe she thinks she's going to end up back at the vets again.....

I hope this helps... I remember someone on here using it for clipping their dogs nails.. I think it was Kemo's mom(I hope I remember correctly)

Good luck and God bless

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Poor Kiwi. She must be really stressed out That does seem like a long time not to get over it. I wish I had some suggestions but I don't :(

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tucker has been afraid of loud outside noises, such as garbage trucks, buses, motorcycles, lawn mowers, etc. ever since he had to undergo those 3 knee surgeries last Nov./Dec. He used to ignore them or bark at them. Now he runs to the gate and jumps up at it almost frantically until I can grab him and bring him in. If we are on our way out to the front yard and he hears any of those loud things, he will try to get back inside the house. UGH! It has not gotten any better and I don't have a clue as to how to help him get over it. :(

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Tinker said:
really good advice!! she now associates the drive with going to the vet ....if she knows it can be a good thing too...i think her whining will be over very soon :wink:

kisses nat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts