Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
so Iv had my little chi baby for about 3 weeks now, maybe little less, and although I thought I would NEVER own a dog again, Tucker has been amazing he is smart when not hyper he knows sit come stay ect, But iv also learned that he pukes if hes in the car truck or just in his bag carrier,

The first day, when we were on the way home from adopting him he puked all over my jeans and my truck. Since then the puking has decreased however he still pukes,I would love for tucker to one day be able to come everywhere with me, as I do suffer from Ptsd which stands for (post tramatic stress disorder) and have bad panic attacks, Tucker does wonders with helping me with this issue. Although I do take his food and water away about 2 hours before he has to go in car he still pukes.:(

so I had a few questions for people who may have experienced car sickness in dogs.

1. do they grow out of it ?
2. Is there something you give them before going in the car?
3. what do you personally do to prevent the car sickness?

Thank you for all your help

:toothy9:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hotchi use to get car sick. I started out taking him for short rides around the block or just up to the corner store, not a long enough ride for him to get sick. I gradually made the rides a little longer. I made sure the car was cool and he had plenty of air. He eventually worked his way out of it.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Tabitha had horrible car sickness as a puppy :( Everything would come up.
Yes, she has outgrown it. She is 3 1/2 years old now. I think the problem
resolved itself by about 18 months old. So, don't give up on your plans of
having him with you all of the time.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
My puppies all got car sicK, but once they got to a year old, it seemed to go away. How old is your little one?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I don't know if car sickness in dogs and humans is similar but I get travel sick and I find thr biggest help is to make sure I've eaten right before I go in a car. Other things are making sure I have lots of air and mints. You can get mints for dogs but I've no idea if it would be helpful for them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hugo used to get terrible car sickness, I tried putting in a crate in the boot and the footwell both made him sick. My vet suggested that he should be able to see the outside so now he sits in the passenger seat and looks out of the window he is fine now. I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety and I take mine everywhere as it does help

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I think Angel might be the "only" dog we had that didn't get carsick! I think most dogs start out that way, but yes, by taking them for frequent short rides, they will outgrow it. You just need to be patient. With my golden, having her put her head out the window helped. But Angel is always in a crate. I don't know if I would let a small dog put their head out the window - but lots of fresh air should help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts