Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to become a Veterinarian, well with the economy the way it is and just life in general there would be no way I could leave my dad's practice and go to Vet school at the moment. Since I have started feeding Raw to my dogs I have become more & more interested in Natural care for my dogs, especially seeing the changes in my friends Rottie who was treating with homeopathy for vaccinosis. It was her last resort and she dang near put her dog to sleep. She is almost back to normal now. It fascinates me and I spend hours reading up on it. Anyways I found a distance education program where I could become a "Doctor of Veterinary Naturopathy" in about 3-4 years. It's not a "Vet Degree" so I couldn't diagnose/prescribe or perform surgery but I could work in conjunction with pet owners, their Veterinarians etc in treating their pets naturally to overcome issues. I really feel good about this choice, and am really excited about it, will be discussing with my hubby to see what he thinks. Just wanted to share.

This talks about more of what it is & isn't:
Veterinary Naturopathy: What It Is & What It Is Not | Aspenbloom Pet Care

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Proactive will make it happen too!

Heather what a wonderful and prophetic career choice.
I feel preventative health is the key also.
A Pro-active approach to provide the best care
for the times and the means.
Dahlias vet we had previous was like this with a
added twist.He was a surgeon too as a full vet
and trained to use laser for many different surgeries.

I hope your Hubby is supportive of you and this venture.
Believe me 3-4 years goes so fast that soon you will be
thru the career training before you expected.

My X husband would not allow me to be a vet tech
in the 70`s because "we could not afford the $500 for classes" then.
So many times I wish I had fought for what I wanted to be.
I say go for it and make it happen Heather.
The Lord always provides a way and we do it one day at a time.
Best Wishes in whatever you decide.

Rhonda*

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Sounds awesome, Heather. You should always do your best to fulfill your dreams. When we are happy in all areas of our life, it makes it more prosperous. I think whatever you can do to come as close as you can to your dream is that right thing to do. As you get older, it isn't as easy to go back. Best wishes in your endeavors.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That sounds awesome!! If I could afford to do it I definitely would. But then again I guess I wouldn't.. I never wanted a career really. I mean, I'm not someone who's dreams in life had anything to do with working.. But it's just awesome to know there's actually degrees out there that promote the natural lifestyle.
Veterinary technician degrees IMO are the biggest waste.. at least, in my state they are. I can't vouch for everywhere as I haven't looked into it, but I know that a lot of states, IL included, do not have a requirement that someone must have a veterinary technician degree in order to actually PRACTICE as a veterinary technician. So what does that mean? Means that lots of vet clinics would rather train you themselves the way that actually helps their practice, instead of have a paper that certifies you. Since it's not required; many graduated vet techs struggle to find a place that actually pays enough to make the degree worthwhile. I actually had already paid for 2 semesters of accredited vet tech classes before my eyes were opened to this.. but I don't regret dropping out. Instead I actually found a vet clinic that hired me in where I could work my way up.. and most practices prefer to do it that way anyway.

Edit to add: Could you pm me what the online university is?? I'm actually really interested the more I think of this. I don't know that I'd do it for career purposes; but it's something I'd love to have accomplished.. I have such a high respect for any natural care...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Its true that each state is different.
That is why I tried to just be supportive & positive.
In Michigan I had a friend that
took the vet tech classes at MSU.Even though she was accredited
by one of the biggest around she still had to work her way up
the vet care chain.She had to be the kennel cleaner/care person
for 2 years before an opening came that she could move up.
This is the traditional vet tech.
I feel that Heather is interested in a more specialized training and
Im hoping that she gets more respect and clout that way.
Heather is there a way you can be introduced into your dads practice
before he retires and a newbie vet takes over?? You will have
the jump start on working your way up the job chain there!!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds awesome!! If I could afford to do it I definitely would. But then again I guess I wouldn't.. I never wanted a career really. I mean, I'm not someone who's dreams in life had anything to do with working.. But it's just awesome to know there's actually degrees out there that promote the natural lifestyle.
Veterinary technician degrees IMO are the biggest waste.. at least, in my state they are. I can't vouch for everywhere as I haven't looked into it, but I know that a lot of states, IL included, do not have a requirement that someone must have a veterinary technician degree in order to actually PRACTICE as a veterinary technician. So what does that mean? Means that lots of vet clinics would rather train you themselves the way that actually helps their practice, instead of have a paper that certifies you. Since it's not required; many graduated vet techs struggle to find a place that actually pays enough to make the degree worthwhile. I actually had already paid for 2 semesters of accredited vet tech classes before my eyes were opened to this.. but I don't regret dropping out. Instead I actually found a vet clinic that hired me in where I could work my way up.. and most practices prefer to do it that way anyway.

Edit to add: Could you pm me what the online university is?? I'm actually really interested the more I think of this. I don't know that I'd do it for career purposes; but it's something I'd love to have accomplished.. I have such a high respect for any natural care...
That is EXACTLY how it is in Utah. I actually started a Vet Tech Degree back in '06 but realized I already knew more than what they were teaching :p

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds awesome, Heather. You should always do your best to fulfill your dreams. When we are happy in all areas of our life, it makes it more prosperous. I think whatever you can do to come as close as you can to your dream is that right thing to do. As you get older, it isn't as easy to go back. Best wishes in your endeavors.
TY T, I really feel like this is the right choice. Kind of like I have been 'lead' here, in my life a lot of things happened (had to happen) in order to prepare me to meet my husband and prepare me to be ready for him. I know that sounds odd, but that's how I feel, I know that I've been 'lead' to this decision as well.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its true that each state is different.
That is why I tried to just be supportive & positive.
In Michigan I had a friend that
took the vet tech classes at MSU.Even though she was accredited
by one of the biggest around she still had to work her way up
the vet care chain.She had to be the kennel cleaner/care person
for 2 years before an opening came that she could move up.
This is the traditional vet tech.
I feel that Heather is interested in a more specialized training and
Im hoping that she gets more respect and clout that way.
Heather is there a way you can be introduced into your dads practice
before he retires and a newbie vet takes over?? You will have
the jump start on working your way up the job chain there!!
My dad owns his practice, and wants to sell to me or another family member. I would LOVE to have a holistic vet/practice. There is one other holistic vet in this area but I really don't think she's all that great, she recommends aspirin for arthritis! So I'm hoping my dad still has a few years left in him, but it would be great to have an all encompassing Veterinary Practice/Luxury Boarding/Daycare. That has been my dream for a while now....we have the vet/luxury boarding/daycare but I think adding a more holistic approach would be a 'niche' we could build on and market, there are literally 4 Veterinarians in a 5 block radius where we are located and it sucks! But if we were different and could offer something more....I think that could really pay off for both the benefit of the clinic as well as the animals/clients. All the Vets around here push the craptastic Prescription Diets as well. And I would research more about possibly adding Animal Nutritionist to the education as well.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I noticed in enrolling for any of the Doctorate programs that you have to choose and go through both the Bachelors and Master's programs first... I'm still definitely going to get as much info as I can too as this is awesome.
Honestly even if there were some online certification for any type of natural pet care I'd do it, just so when I go on my rants about pet nutrition (you have no idea how I have to bite my tongue when we sell Hills I/D at the clinic=P) I can actually have SOMETHING to show people to back up my rambling!! But c'mon, saying you're a DOCTOR?? If people believe everything their regular vet tells them, imagine the impact someone who actually knew anything about health could do.
Heather I'm counting on you to do this just so I can follow in your footsteps in a few years down the road, LOL... I'll just live vicariously through you meanwhile ;)

Edit to add: Ok I realize this sounds very condescending to vets; NOT at all my intent nor what I meant... just in the NUTRITIONAL aspect. As far as health care in general I still trust my vet for advice there!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Heather - that sounds awesome!! I truly believe that a more natural way of raising our pets (and human families too) is becoming more mainstream and widely accepted. As people start learning more about holistic therapies, the demand for a profession such as yours will be in great demand! I would LOVE to find a holistic vet here. Shoot... you could branch out into acupuncture, chiropractic care and other holistic modalities as you build and grow your practice! Woo Hoo! That would be awesome.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed in enrolling for any of the Doctorate programs that you have to choose and go through both the Bachelors and Master's programs first... I'm still definitely going to get as much info as I can too as this is awesome.
Honestly even if there were some online certification for any type of natural pet care I'd do it, just so when I go on my rants about pet nutrition (you have no idea how I have to bite my tongue when we sell Hills I/D at the clinic=P) I can actually have SOMETHING to show people to back up my rambling!! But c'mon, saying you're a DOCTOR?? If people believe everything their regular vet tells them, imagine the impact someone who actually knew anything about health could do.
Heather I'm counting on you to do this just so I can follow in your footsteps in a few years down the road, LOL... I'll just live vicariously through you meanwhile ;)

Edit to add: Ok I realize this sounds very condescending to vets; NOT at all my intent nor what I meant... just in the NUTRITIONAL aspect. As far as health care in general I still trust my vet for advice there!!
This is what it says on the Tuition page (I pm'd you the link) for the Veterinary Naturopath:
The School of Natural Animal Health is proud to offer professional naturopathic animal education via Distance Learning by taking advantage of modern technology, as well as traditional correspondence. The School of Natural Animal Health diplomas are generally completed within one year, and the doctorate degrees within three to four years. A student who enrolls in a doctorate program with advanced standing will be able to complete programs in a shorter period of time. How much advanced standing shall be given to a student is dependent upon his/her academic evaluation.
A person must have received a high school diploma, or its equivalent from an accredited institution to qualify for entrance into the School of Natural Animal Health diploma and/or degree programs.
Persons may be admitted to a doctorate degree program at an advanced level by being exempted from certain courses if they possess academic qualifications in the realm of veterinary science, medicine, or technology. A review of all previous academic records will be complete, and credits, if applicable, will be determined within thirty days of the official application.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This does sound very interesting. I did read one part that worried me a little though.

http://www.kcnh.org/images/stories/confusingterms.pdf

Read down to the part about:
"IMPORTANT COMMENT ON DEGREES: If the state or country where the educational institution is domiciled is not identified in the content of the degree or printed on the seal, the degree is usually not legal. When a graduate holds a degree that is not legally registered, approved, or authorized by the state where the educational institution is domiciled, a serious problem exists. For example: If by chance, a client/patient files a lawsuit against a practitioner for a matter relative to his/her natural health consultation,
a shrewd lawyer will immediately recognize the validity of any degree that is not registered, approved, or authorized by the state where it is domiciled."

It looks like this program is located in Guam, a US territory, not a state. So I wonder what they do to make this a legal degree here since the above says that the degree has to be recognized by the state and Guam isn't a state?

Just make sure you do your research, don't just believe a fancy website. I would truly hate to see you spend the money on this degree only to find that it isn't really legal or that you can't actually do anything with it. I know this is a growing problem with the online schools like the University of Phoenix, etc. I read an article recently about how the degrees you get from them aren't worth the money, they aren't what people think they are getting, etc.

One thing I would look into is the financial aid issue. If you can't get financial aid through FASFA I would really worry about the institution. That means that the US doesn't see it as a real school/degree.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket at all!!! It's just one of those things that sounds too good to be true. The tuition is very low, you get a doctorate degree without having to get bachelors and masters degrees. There aren't any boards you have to pass.

Please don't get defensive and get upset. If this is what will make you happy then go for it. Just please do the research first. Maybe go to a vet school and talk to them about what they think about the program and one of the graduates working in conjunction with one of their vets?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This does sound very interesting. I did read one part that worried me a little though.

http://www.kcnh.org/images/stories/confusingterms.pdf

Read down to the part about:
"IMPORTANT COMMENT ON DEGREES: If the state or country where the educational institution is domiciled is not identified in the content of the degree or printed on the seal, the degree is usually not legal. When a graduate holds a degree that is not legally registered, approved, or authorized by the state where the educational institution is domiciled, a serious problem exists. For example: If by chance, a client/patient files a lawsuit against a practitioner for a matter relative to his/her natural health consultation,
a shrewd lawyer will immediately recognize the validity of any degree that is not registered, approved, or authorized by the state where it is domiciled."

It looks like this program is located in Guam, a US territory, not a state. So I wonder what they do to make this a legal degree here since the above says that the degree has to be recognized by the state and Guam isn't a state?

Just make sure you do your research, don't just believe a fancy website. I would truly hate to see you spend the money on this degree only to find that it isn't really legal or that you can't actually do anything with it. I know this is a growing problem with the online schools like the University of Phoenix, etc. I read an article recently about how the degrees you get from them aren't worth the money, they aren't what people think they are getting, etc.

One thing I would look into is the financial aid issue. If you can't get financial aid through FASFA I would really worry about the institution. That means that the US doesn't see it as a real school/degree.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket at all!!! It's just one of those things that sounds too good to be true. The tuition is very low, you get a doctorate degree without having to get bachelors and masters degrees. There aren't any boards you have to pass.

Please don't get defensive and get upset. If this is what will make you happy then go for it. Just please do the research first. Maybe go to a vet school and talk to them about what they think about the program and one of the graduates working in conjunction with one of their vets?
I will definitely check it out. I know of 2 people (I'm on a natural care list with them) who are practicing Doctors of Veterinary Naturopathy here in the U.S who earned their degrees from there. I will definitely do more research before coming to a final decision. I have a friend who is a lawyer so I will talk with him as well about the legalities. If I do follow this path I would definitely have people sign a legal waiver before working with them/their pet.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Excellent! Sounds like you are looking at this from a good perspective! If you do all the research and it checks out then you are on your way to a career that it sounds like you will really enjoy. Would you mind letting us know what the lawyer, etc say? If it's all good then I have a couple of friends that might be interested in this.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think you should go with your dream and explain to your dad that you will be there for him whenever possible. If he loves you (& I know he does), he'll understand. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you should go with your dream and explain to your dad that you will be there for him whenever possible. If he loves you (& I know he does), he'll understand. Good luck.
That's not the problem....the problem is he'd have to hire about 4 people to replace me and we just can't afford it, we are barely scraping by as it is. And no I'm not being cocky, but I am the manager, groomer, doggie daycare attendant, veterinary tech/assistant & receptionist. Right now we only have about 3 employees, and can't afford to hire any more.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
That's not the problem....the problem is he'd have to hire about 4 people to replace me and we just can't afford it, we are barely scraping by as it is. And no I'm not being cocky, but I am the manager, groomer, doggie daycare attendant, veterinary tech/assistant & receptionist. Right now we only have about 3 employees, and can't afford to hire any more.
Wow, you are one busy little bee! You probably put in long hours too. Is there any way you might be able to go to school part time in the evenings and weekends or even take some online courses? These might be possiblities for you although it would take longer for you to get that degree. I think it's awesome your dad's a vet and you are too, plus you're able to work right along side of him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts