Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am not new but I haven't posted in a while because my first baby Chi Bella passed away :( She is the one in my avatar and I already miss her so much. Anyway, enough of the bad and on to some more bad really. My new chi Casey is having some serious skin issues. It started with his eyes getting all red and puffy and a sore by his mouth. I got him to the vet and we were prescribed childrens liquid Benadryl. When that didn't work we tried childrens liquid Claratin, also hasn't worked. Now Casey has these small pimples all over his stomach. I did some research and I his symptoms match Flea Allergy Dermatitis and Puppy Dermatitis. Below are some pictures of him when I first got him, and now. If anyone has also had this and has some tips on what it could be maybe, I would be extremely grateful, thanks!

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
i'm not an expert at all but maybe it could be mange? my rottie had mange when she was a puppy and her face looked like that. she needed a medicated dip and medicated creme to treat it.

he's so cute i hope you figure out what it is.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I pretty sure he's got a bacterial skin infection. That's what's causing the bumps. He needs antibiotics.
Does he have a musky odor? Does he have any other areas that have lost hair or bald spots?
If your vet can't figure out what it is, take him to a different one. What he's got can be easily treated with medicine, but you have to get it from the vet.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Poor little thing he looks so sore and sad,i hope both he and you get an answer as to what it is very soon!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I agree with Jen I've had a dog with mange before and spots on the belly are one of the symptoms. Get another vet and get them to do a skin scrape. Good luck x x

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much everyone. I haven't been back to the vet since he has had the bumps yet because of the holiday. I go back tomorrow and I am sure he will know but I am going with all your suggestions and what I have found. We have an emergency vet office but they are worthless and overcharge you cause they are 24 hours and open on holidays. I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
that's good you're going tomorrow, i'm curious to hear what they say it is :)

i also wanted to say i'm sorry about bella :(

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
id demand a skin scraping, if the vet wont do one, get a new vet, it looks like mange, a skin scraping will show if theres any parasites causing it.
benadryl and claratin would only help in a case of an allergic reaction, thats definatly NOT an allergic reaction.

poor little man.
id also contact the breeder you got him from, if its something he might have caught while there its something the breeder needs to be aware of cause it could of course infect the entire pack.

good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, turns out my poor mr casey has demodex, aka mange. I really do have an amazing vet I promise :) He said we were doing a scraping even before I had the chance to ask. He also said it was probably better that we did it now than the first time I was in there because the demodex mite may not have even shown up. When I first took him he only had the puffy eyes which is why we thought it was merely an allergy. Now Casey will be getting a special dip once a week until the mites have been killed and then about 2 more after they are gone just to be sure. He is also getting some antibiotics to clear up the little outbreak on his face and stomach. I'll keep everyone updated and take lots of pictures once he looks like a doggy again :p

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I'm glad you are getting treatment, he does look pretty miserable :(
Let us know how he is doing from time to time.
One of my chis had demodex and was treated with Ivermectin. I hope your chi does well with the dips, I'm a little concerned with putting dips so close to his eyes, but I hope he does well with them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts