Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are some vets cash grabs? I hate my vet office but it is convenient since it is 2 mins away and the cost was cheaper than any other vet in the city. They never care about any of my pets once I leave the office they never call to check up and any time we have a question it seems they're shoving something down our throats. Well I called for a quote to have baby spayed and they want $400+ so I asked a friend of mine who recently had her doberman spayed where she went and how much she payed I was SHOCKED AND DUMBFOUNDED when she told me it was $180 and her dog stayed over night!!! she also said they called her for a few days to see how she was doing.

Her new chi puppy recently had hypoglycemia and she took her to an emergency vet as this vet is 20 mins away and she wanted immediate help and the emergency vet charged her $270 well I guess it happened again a couple days later so she went to her regular vet and they did the glucose test and gave her the nutrical or whatever it is for free also the entire vet visit was free and she went at midnight! They are open 24 hrs!

I have to get a quote for baby's spay but am guessing it will be around the same if it is she will be getting spayed within the next 2 weeks depending on appointment availability. I can't believe that it is literally more than half price and they sound like they actually care!

my oh is at work but he is going to be really happy as we were planning on paying the $400+ for the spay!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Ouch that's a lot

My vet charges in weight brackets so spaying a chi would be way cheaper than spaying a Dane daisys spay cost £150 and that included her microchip

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I don't know how busy your vets offices are, but my vet is always really busy. Sometimes it takes a week to get in if it's not an emergency. Since they're so busy, I hate feeling like I'm being rushed whenever I go. I like to ask lots of questions & take my time, but time is money to them. I guess them being so busy means they must be a pretty good vet?!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my vet charges $100+ more for laser so back when I got NInja neutered he got traditional I forgot to ask if it was laser my friends dobi got. I have to wait for oh to come home b4 I call bc if the price is right I will book then too! It's not jjust about the $ for us but when it's that big of a difference and they treat you good then it's a given you are going to go there.

We have 8 pets registered with my vet we put the food in their families mouths LOL :D

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a lot for a traditional spay.
Dahlia was laser spayed for $160 here.
Also your vet doesnt bother to do follow ups by phone.
Call a few vets and look into laser spay.
The healing recovery time is amazing and its not $$$$.
I reposted the pics at the end of the thread.
Look at post #29 and further for pics.
See my thread below:
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-pictures/47400-laser-spay-photos-dahlia.html

just looked wow that's amazing Dahlia is too cute I want to give her kisses lol

did she gain any weight after her spay?

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
The vet that did Darla's spay charged £180 and that was without the pre blood work.
I am getting the pre blood work for Daisy next week so can imagine it will be quite a bit more.
Still she is older and i need the peace of mind.
They quoted me £160 for Dillon's neuter with the tests before hand too.
Wil be paying that one next month when i book him in. lol

My own vet i dont know what they charge for dogs cause he doesnt do these ops anymore, so have to go to the one he referred me to.
I do like it there though.
My own vet did do my cats though, but cant remeber what he charged now.

I think the emergency clinics charge way too much, especially the one i have to go to as it's in town and is open 24hrs anyway, so they shouldnt be charging crazy money as though it is a call out a charge, but yet they charge £100 before even looking at your pet.
Unreal!!
There is someone always there!!
Luckily i have only had to go once, not just cause of the money mind you.
I dont get why i have to go there anyhow since my vet lives above his practice too. lol x

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahaha I only learned it from chatting on here not gonna lie I had to google it LMAO

I called and they said it' traditional spay for $175 no preblood work if I want it it's an extra $60 not sure yet if I will get it done she will be 5 yrs old in 2 months

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
hahaha I only learned it from chatting on here not gonna lie I had to google it LMAO

I called and they said it' traditional spay for $175 no preblood work if I want it it's an extra $60 not sure yet if I will get it done she will be 5 yrs old in 2 months
Unless she's had bloodwork done recently (like in the last six months), I would have it done. It is no longer optional at my vet.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm lucky that my vet is very reasonable. The only time I had an emergency was when my Chi chewed through an electrical cord and I dashed in with him and they saw him immediately. (He was OK.) I've never had to go to the emergency vet's office, thank goodness. My vet makes room for me any time I call and calls to check on the dog afterward. When my little ferret was ill, the vet that specializes in small animals other than dogs and cats, took her home with him for five nights, trying to get her to eat and take medicine. He gave me his cell phone number so I could check with him any time. He didn't charge me for anything other than the medication for her. He tried very hard with her, talked to a vet at the University of Tennessee Vet School about her, but he thought she had cancer and we lost her. There are four vets in the office and they all CARE about the animals and their owners. That's worth a whole lot in my book. Plus, they are all good doctors, really good. They've seen me through the loss of my little ferret, my little puppymill Chi, and my Bichon girl. They take great care of my dogs and I trust them. My dogs' vet is as important to me as my doctor and if I didn't have faith in him/her, I'd find someone I could have faith in immediately!

Jeanette

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm lucky that my vet is very reasonable. The only time I had an emergency was when my Chi chewed through an electrical cord and I dashed in with him and they saw him immediately. (He was OK.) I've never had to go to the emergency vet's office, thank goodness. My vet makes room for me any time I call and calls to check on the dog afterward. When my little ferret was ill, the vet that specializes in small animals other than dogs and cats, took her home with him for five nights, trying to get her to eat and take medicine. He gave me his cell phone number so I could check with him any time. He didn't charge me for anything other than the medication for her. He tried very hard with her, talked to a vet at the University of Tennessee Vet School about her, but he thought she had cancer and we lost her. There are four vets in the office and they all CARE about the animals and their owners. That's worth a whole lot in my book. Plus, they are all good doctors, really good. They've seen me through the loss of my little ferret, my little puppymill Chi, and my Bichon girl. They take great care of my dogs and I trust them. My dogs' vet is as important to me as my doctor and if I didn't have faith in him/her, I'd find someone I could have faith in immediately!

Jeanette

ya exactly!!! I had to take my chi to another vet once when mine was booked up and she was throwing up constantly I saw 2 diff vets and they both were the most genuine vets they were so nice and they called everyday to check on her for a month until she was back to normal. My vet has NEVER called me to check on my animals even when Ninja had all his vaccine reactions and we spent nights in the emergency my vet nevr ever called not even once they didn't call when my cat had a bad bladder infection and went back 3 times to the vet where I spent over $400 and they didn't call when Ninja got neutered to see how he was either. I have gotten in actual arguments with the snobby desk staff too most of them are snobs and literally try to make you feel bad if you don't throw away your $ to them for the most ridiculous things they want you to do. Sorry but I was a student for 2 years I had $ for my pets but I was in no position to just toss it around like it was nothing. I was on a budget so unfortunately I couldn't switch at the time because all the other vets in my area that I did call were more expensive. I am thrilled that I found this place and that it is 24 hours being a nurse and my schedule always changing this may just work out perfect for us. My vet now is mon-fri 9-5.

My pets are my children and I want my vet to treat me and my pets genuinely with compassion and actually care about us and not my visa!

My vets now are very nice when you are in the office but it's when you're out the door that they stop caring. angry9:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts