Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have a 8 month old boy cat and he is a cryer mostly at night it is so annoying, i dont understand why he is doing it as he has food and water and a clean litter tray ect, i thaught as he is a house cat that he may be calling the girls so i have booked him in to get neutered tomorrow does anyone think that this will stop his crying? or has anyone else got this problem??

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Sounds like theres a female in heat close by! Our boy used to do that before we had him neutered, but neutering fixed the problem completely :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like theres a female in heat close by! Our boy used to do that before we had him neutered, but neutering fixed the problem completely :)
i really hope so its so head doing as he is keeping me awake :( plus it aint fair on him is it if he cant get to the girl

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree. I think he's probably smelling a female in heat. They can smell it miles away.

Neutering is great! Problem solved! Plus he won't spray urine like intact boy cats do. Hopefully he hasn't started doing that! Male cat pee is NOXIOUS.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I think he's probably smelling a female in heat. They can smell it miles away.

Neutering is great! Problem solved! Plus he won't spray urine like intact boy cats do. Hopefully he hasn't started doing that! Male cat pee is NOXIOUS.
thankfully he aint started spraying yet... so just aswell im getting him done asap, thats what i thaught that he could smell a female cat as therer a loads in my area my neighbour has 6 cats al girls aswell so poor tazz is going mental and he is house bound as he has a slipped knee cap (no idea what happend it happend before i moved to my new place) i just hope the vet still does still neuter him.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

100% agree , once a boy starts to smell even desexing sometimes doesn't work for the stink lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
100% agree , once a boy starts to smell even desexing sometimes doesn't work for the stink lol
aww i hope it does lol, hes a very vocal boy lol, fingers crossed everything goes to plan and that he stops crying all the time then everyone happy :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Ours used to cry as she wanted to be with us and was lonely,just like some puppies do.Thank god she's grown out of it now

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ours used to cry as she wanted to be with us and was lonely,just like some puppies do.Thank god she's grown out of it now
thats what i thaught about aswell but ill give me a lot of attention and he will still do it he will walk off and cry in the hallway, lucky you that your cat grew out of it lol. how old was she when she stopped?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
About a year on and off,sometimes she still does it,i ignore her then she settles,have to put her in a room otherwise she waits outside the door.I now make sure i tire her out before bedtime and she seems not so bad.My daughters cat wakes her up at 6am as well SOMETIMES.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
We had a cat years ago that yowled alot. I just kind of ignored it and told him to knock it off until I found him collapsed in the litter box. Turns out he had a urinary tract blockage. He was 4. I wish I would have paid more attention. :( By the time we got to the vet he was completely blocked and $1,000 later he was dead. Terrible.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had a cat years ago that yowled alot. I just kind of ignored it and told him to knock it off until I found him collapsed in the litter box. Turns out he had a urinary tract blockage. He was 4. I wish I would have paid more attention. :( By the time we got to the vet he was completely blocked and $1,000 later he was dead. Terrible.
aww im sorry to hear that, i have taken him vets and he has had a vet check and all seems ok apart from he has a slipped knee cap but he aint in any pain. im hopping that its just that he wants to get the girls.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About a year on and off,sometimes she still does it,i ignore her then she settles,have to put her in a room otherwise she waits outside the door.I now make sure i tire her out before bedtime and she seems not so bad.My daughters cat wakes her up at 6am as well SOMETIMES.
ive tried ignoring him but it dont work he just stares at you and crys and cry and crys, lol yeah hes woke me up at about 3 before i was not amused lol glad that your cat aint as bad anymore

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
aww im sorry to hear that, i have taken him vets and he has had a vet check and all seems ok apart from he has a slipped knee cap but he aint in any pain. im hopping that its just that he wants to get the girls.
I bet that's what it is too. An 8 month old probably wouldn't develop a urinary blockage, but it's something to be aware of as he grows. The litterboxes are down in the basement and I just cleaned them out and didn't really pay any attention till I found him barely alive in one. It was awful. I sure wish I would have paid better attention. He was definitely trying to tell me something was wrong by all his hollering.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bet that's what it is too. An 8 month old probably wouldn't develop a urinary blockage, but it's something to be aware of as he grows. The litterboxes are down in the basement and I just cleaned them out and didn't really pay any attention till I found him barely alive in one. It was awful. I sure wish I would have paid better attention. He was definitely trying to tell me something was wrong by all his hollering.
are urinary blockages commen in cats? have you ever thaught about getting another cat? and thanks ill defo remember it and again im sorry i lost my dog to fluid in his lungs he werent right but i didnt know what was wrong by the time i got him to the vets they put him on a drip and by 6am he died i was 15and i still remember it like it was yesterday. i know it may be a bit mean but we do learn from our mistakes and if you did get a cat and he/she kept crying you would defo take them vets same with a dog aswell i suppose

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
are urinary blockages commen in cats? have you ever thaught about getting another cat? and thanks ill defo remember it and again im sorry i lost my dog to fluid in his lungs he werent right but i didnt know what was wrong by the time i got him to the vets they put him on a drip and by 6am he died i was 15and i still remember it like it was yesterday. i know it may be a bit mean but we do learn from our mistakes and if you did get a cat and he/she kept crying you would defo take them vets same with a dog aswell i suppose
Yes, we have two kitties now and you're right - I definitely learned a hard lesson! We were just married and pretty clueless. He was a lovely cat and I still feel guilty that I didn't pay more attention to what was going on with him.

Cats urinary systems blocking up is REALLY common. They have a whole syndrome dedicated to it. It used to be called FUS, feline urologic syndrome, but now I think it called FLUTD which is feline lower urinary tract disease. A lot of it happens in males because of their anatomy. Their urethra's are very tiny and short and easy to block up. It's more common in long haired cats for some reason and persians are especially prone to it.

It's important that cats drink a lot of water. Dry food is a huge contributor to this syndrome of urinary blockages.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, we have two kitties now and you're right - I definitely learned a hard lesson! We were just married and pretty clueless. He was a lovely cat and I still feel guilty that I didn't pay more attention to what was going on with him.

Cats urinary systems blocking up is REALLY common. They have a whole syndrome dedicated to it. It used to be called FUS, feline urologic syndrome, but now I think it called FLUTD which is feline lower urinary tract disease. A lot of it happens in males because of their anatomy. Their urethra's are very tiny and short and easy to block up. It's more common in long haired cats for some reason and persians are especially prone to it.

It's important that cats drink a lot of water. Dry food is a huge contributor to this syndrome of urinary blockages.
im glad that you have two kittens now atleast you know nest time, i have never heard of it being that common atleast i know he does drink a lot of water and he is on only dry food but i do keep a eye on him :) ill defo tell my mum about it as she has a persian cross and he is so fluffy so thanks :D
how old are your kittens?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
im glad that you have two kittens now atleast you know nest time, i have never heard of it being that common atleast i know he does drink a lot of water and he is on only dry food but i do keep a eye on him :) ill defo tell my mum about it as she has a persian cross and he is so fluffy so thanks :D
how old are your kittens?
They aren't babies. :) They are 4 and 6. Wow, times flies! They eat dry food but I do supplement with canned and add extra water. They are both pretty good drinkers too. (They like to drink out of the faucet in the sink!) ha. Well, at least they are getting lots of water that way.

You might add in some canned food to your kitty if you want. One can can last a long time - just take out a teaspoon or so and add a little warm water to make it really soupy and he'll get extra water that way. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They aren't babies. :) They are 4 and 6. Wow, times flies! They eat dry food but I do supplement with canned and add extra water. They are both pretty good drinkers too. (They like to drink out of the faucet in the sink!) ha. Well, at least they are getting lots of water that way.

You might add in some canned food to your kitty if you want. One can can last a long time - just take out a teaspoon or so and add a little warm water to make it really soupy and he'll get extra water that way. :)
aww so there bif kitties then lol, i might try that teaspoon of canned food the reason why i changed him to dry is cus hes a really smelly cat and since ive changed his food hes bin a lot better :) tazz has recently been gettin in the bath so i run the water to give him a drink he loves that lol.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Isn't your chi in heat??? That could be the problem!! I agree getting him neutered and her spayed once shes out of heat should fix it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts