Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I wonder why dogs prefer dry cat food to dry dog food?

When I first got Hershey, I mixed his dry pup food with canned pup food. He quickly decided he didn't care for that. Even after trying different foods. So, I have tried just the dry food alone. He will eat a little, but not much. Now, when out playing, He recently found the cats' dry food dish. He went to eating that like there was no tomorrow! :shock: I want him eating HIS food though so he gets the nutrition he needs. I then tried to mix a tiny amount of the cat dry food in with his dry food to see if that would incline him to eat more of his own. Well, he just digs out and eats the cat food instead of his own. :?

I will try a few more different pup foods to see if I can find one he like better, but in the mean time, anyone have a similiar situation and/or and advice for me? I just want Hershey to be healthy and grow well. My Moms little dog eats almost all cat food despite hard efforts to get her to eat dog food, I'd rather Hershey not do that, especially while he is growing. I do mix in a pup vitamin in the food, I think he is eating that. Any advice or suggestions will be so appreciated. Thanks Everyone! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had a German Shepherd for about eleven years and she loved cat food (we had a cat). She used to choose the cat's food over her own. Eventually, she went back to eating her own, although she was one fickle eater. A friend of mine that had had his German Shepherd many years before told me that his dog was the same. In fact, they bought those large bags of Meow Mix for him and that's what he always ate. *shrugs*

I'm sure there's something out there he'll like! :wave:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
OH NO!!! NO CAT FOOD!! its too high in protein i have a friend that lost her little yorkie cause he ate cat food its not good for them at all !!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A few foods that my picky eater Tucker likes are Eukanuba (Puppy Formula), Eukanuba Small Bites, Royal Canin Chihuahua, and Royal Canin Mini Light Formula. (All of these are dry foods).

Pups that like cat food (Tucker does) will most likely eat the Eukanuba brand of dog food as it has fish meal in it, as do most cat foods. It is a stinkier food than most due to the fish meal, but that may be the attraction for a dog. :?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My chi, Poco, lived 21 years and never ate a bite of dog food in his life. He ate Meow Mix. We tried... we gave him every kind of dog food they made in the 70s... Gaines Burgers, Gravy Train... nothing satisfied like Meow Mix.

He also thought he was a cat. He had definite self-image problems LOL

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cooper said:
My chi, Poco, lived 21 years and never ate a bite of dog food in his life. He ate Meow Mix. We tried... we gave him every kind of dog food they made in the 70s... Gaines Burgers, Gravy Train... nothing satisfied like Meow Mix.

21 yrs? Wow, that's great! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Also, not sure how true this is in the Chi breed, but I've read that a lot of dogs can't tolerate Eukanuba: it's hard on their stomachs. My fiance's little Doxie started on that when he first got him because that was what he had been being fed. He had diarrhea almost every time he had a bowel movement and he did #2 QUITE OFTEN. When I started buying Royal Canin's Sensible Choice Puppy food for Josie, he began to mix it up with the Eukanuba and has now weened him from it completely. Since then, he has normal stools and doesn't go as often. Maybe that's a suggestion? I got a 5 lb. bag of RCSCP food from PetsMart.com for about $7, I think.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
amykate said:
Also, not sure how true this is in the Chi breed, but I've read that a lot of dogs can't tolerate Eukanuba: it's hard on their stomachs. My fiance's little Doxie started on that when he first got him because that was what he had been being fed. He had diarrhea almost every time he had a bowel movement and he did #2 QUITE OFTEN.
Tucker did wonderfully on Eukanuba for a year. I switched him at that time to Royal Canin Chihuahua because it was breed specific.

My cat can ONLY eat Iam's (which is made by Eukanuba). If she eats anything else she gets loose poops.

I don't think a particular food is wrong for a particular breed. Every pup is different. If something works for your dog, then that's what you feed him. Tucker would refuse EVERY food except Eukanuba his first year, to the point of hypoglycemia as a young pup, so I gave up on trying other foods and stuck with the Eukanuba. His bowels worked perfectly, 2 stools a day with good solid consistency.

I am only speaking from my personal experience. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
LuvMyChi said:
Cooper said:

21 yrs? Wow, that's great! :)
Yeah, and the doctors all told us that his urinary tract would suffer damage for about 16 years. In the end, that is what got him but I figure 21 years is a good run for a dog and he was happy, being a cat. LOL

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
i had 3 ferrets so i gave them cat food. and they would knock it all over the floor and hide it places so i never really knew when jamoka was eating it. but my vet said to just wacth to make sure he's not eating it everyday. lol so to get him to do tricks and the things i wanted him to ,i'd give him a peice of cat food!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
:) you can request samples for different dog foods to see what your dog likes?my older chi was a picky eater all her one year.she likes natural balance all types-Petco sells ,Canidaen need to check website for location but they also sell it there as well.these foods are for all life stages so no need to go from puppy to adult to senior.great for sensitive stomaches as well as dogs with allergy problems.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to update, I bought Hershey the Iams Puppy Bites today. Seems like he is going to eat it better, seeing as how it does have the fish meal in it and all. Maybe I can keep him out of so much of the cat food now. Thanks for all the replies and advice on this. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts