Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing research for my brother since he has no time doing research for better stuff. I already told him about foods that are way better than Science Diet for his cats, now I need hep on litter and litter boxes. He adopted 2 cats recently and last time we had a cat is about 15-20 years ago.

So...I need suggestions on what you like in litter and litter boxes and what to avoid.

Does anyone have the automatic litter boxes??? How do you guys like them?

Thank you for posting!!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
my bf has that litterbox where its like a hole on top so the cats go in and do their business and less of a mess for the litter to fly out! he has 3 cats :) also i think for freshness....fresh step is the best! anythin else smells like pee

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm kinda weird, but Ive had cats my entire life. I have 3 right now that are 18, 17, and 16 yrs old. I buy the huge storage tubs, cut a square hole in the end, and I use Pine Shavings for litter. Lid on. REALLY messy, but its very easy to dispose of. I do not scoop, I just change it completely out every 24 to 36 hours. I even put a throw away wee wee pad in the bottom then litter on top of the pad. Ive been using the shavings for the past 5 or so years. I like the lite weight, and I just put in trash bag and throw in trash.
pam in TX

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Automatic litter boxes are great for the first few months and then they're not so great. I would just get a regular box and scoop it daily. Some healthier options for litter are s'wheat scoop, recycled newspaper pellets and pine pellets (which can be purchased from places like home depot). The s'wheat scoop is scoopable, but the pellets don't clump. If you go with a clay, there are low dust options.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the budda dome litter box. It keeps the litter in the box and not on the floor. On more litter box than the number of cats. I like arm and hammer litter. I feed all of my fur abides Halo.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

·
Registered
872 Posts
We use just a simple litter box we got from petsmart, bf built a panel for around it to deter the dogs and help control the mess.

I like s'wheat scoop litter. We have 2 cats, 1 box, and there is no smell! Granted, I scoop it out several times a day...

I like especially that the s'wheat scoop is flushable! That means no extra garbage, and no non-biodegradable litter sitting around in a landfill for the rest of forever coming from my house! Plus, it makes scooping super easy, since I just keep the box in the bathroom and scoop directly into the toilet :coolwink:

I tried the pellets when we first got them (b/c that was what they were on as babies, since they were eating the regular litter) but it seemed a lot of waste and just didn't work for us.

I have heard good things about the Breeze system, if that's more something you're looking at.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I used this litter box, I love it will never change again, The poo stays on top and pee goes under pellets to a pad. The pad last about a week and pellets will last for long time. It so much easier and cheaper in long run. Here link for start up coupon and can get any place.
BREEZE® Cat Litter System | Odor Control Made Easy

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it.

I'm kinda weird, but Ive had cats my entire life. I have 3 right now that are 18, 17, and 16 yrs old. I buy the huge storage tubs, cut a square hole in the end, and I use Pine Shavings for litter. Lid on. REALLY messy, but its very easy to dispose of. I do not scoop, I just change it completely out every 24 to 36 hours. I even put a throw away wee wee pad in the bottom then litter on top of the pad. Ive been using the shavings for the past 5 or so years. I like the lite weight, and I just put in trash bag and throw in trash.
pam in TX
That isn't weird, that's just another way! (If you think you are kinda weird, you shouldnt know where I indoor potty train Star...lol) When we used to have our cat, it was a storage bin too.

Automatic litter boxes are great for the first few months and then they're not so great. I would just get a regular box and scoop it daily. Some healthier options for litter are s'wheat scoop, recycled newspaper pellets and pine pellets (which can be purchased from places like home depot). The s'wheat scoop is scoopable, but the pellets don't clump. If you go with a clay, there are low dust options.
I was wondering about the automatic litter boxes, and I just didnt know how well they work. I thought it would be the easiest because my brother is in a wheelchair, now that we are getting older, I'm just a worry wart when he just mentions anything. Cant imagine him bending over cleaning it without falling out of his chair.

Since several of you gals mention s'wheat litter and it flushes down the toliet. I will mention that to him, plus Huly's suggestions since it's natural.

Breeze looks like a great system to use and thank you Theresa for telling me your experience about it, it seems like it's the easiest for him to clean.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Arm and Hammer is the only brand that I have found to keep the pee smell away but we have 11 cats. When I only had 2 cats I was getting Dr. Elsey's senior cat litter crystals and it worked great. Someone that I pet sit for only has 2 cats and the pine pellet litter works good for her but you can smell the pee if you are close to the box.
For litter boxes we use plastic storage bins that are about 12" tall so the cats can't kick the litter out of the box and they are cheap to replace when the plastic starts to smell bad.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Cats are notorious climbers. Why not put the litter box on a table or Pedestal of sorts. I'm sure the cat won't have a problem climbing up to use it. Even with the automatic ones, the trays that collect the waste need to be emptied, I would think.

I hope he can find something suitable!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have 2 kitties plus usually another foster and we use dr. Elseys precious cat litter, I've tried almost every scoop able one and found this one to have the least dust which is better for the cats. I make my own litter boxes out of Rubbermaid containers :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used this litter box, I love it will never change again, The poo stays on top and pee goes under pellets to a pad. The pad last about a week and pellets will last for long time. It so much easier and cheaper in long run. Here link for start up coupon and can get any place.
BREEZE® Cat Litter System | Odor Control Made Easy
I have seen this and wondered how well it did work. I may have to try it out, as I have cats and hate the litter situation.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have one kitty, Figaro, and he uses regular clay litter. I empty as needed. He goes outside along with the dogs for their potty breaks and is boundary trained like the rest.

I'd have loved one of the automatic systems back when we lived in the city, though, and letting him outside wasn't practical nor safe. I just hate scooping, LOL!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this si what my bf uses for his 3 cats and it works great. hardly nomore steppin on those darn kitty litter lmao

Clevercat Top Entry Heavy Duty Litterbox Cat Litter Box | eBay
Pidge, that just looks like a storage box with a hole on top, is it??

But I remember we used just used a shorter storage box than that when we had a cat when we were younger.

Good news is that I sent him articles about Science Diet and he went ewww....so he's definately switching to better foods.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Pidge, that just looks like a storage box with a hole on top, is it??

But I remember we used just used a shorter storage box than that when we had a cat when we were younger.

Good news is that I sent him articles about Science Diet and he went ewww....so he's definately switching to better foods.
lol well made one :) it works whatever it is hehehe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts