Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Wondering if anyone can help me.

We recently had a young couple move in upstairs. They have 2 cats and for about 90% of the day/night they leave the cats outside (there is no cat flap). For some reason the cats are pooing in my front garden, it smells really bad and "I" have to clean it up as it's the only place where my son can play.

I've spent loads of money trying all sorts of animal deterants, but they just don't work. I've actually seen them pooing in the garden, so I'm sure it's them. And thing is, they poo right in the middle of the garden, not hidden or anthing.

I can never seem to catch these people home (or they're just not answering their door), so I've written a very polite letter asking if they could address it, but in the event they don't take kindly to it, do I have any rights???

Sorry it's so long :(

HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
the neighbors cat used to come into my yard all the time and the first time i seen it squat to do it's business in my yard i let my dogs out :oops: they chased it out of the yard and the cat doesn't come in anymore. yeah it wasnt' a nice thing to do but i would try to make loud noises and scare it away but that never worked. i dont' know if the cat has worms or anything in my opinion if you let your animal roam then you don't take very good care of that animal so that cat in my eyes could have some type of parasite or whatever else. i dont' want my dogs getting sick. i told the neighbor i didn't want their cat in my yard and she said oh well, i don't want to hear your dogs bark but i put up with it cause they are animals and that is what they do.. so i said next time her cat comes in i'll call animal control. i don't want to punish the cat for the owners stupidity. but i thin the chase has scared the cat cause it avoids my house completely now.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't think there's anything you can do to keep the cats out of your garden - they're going to do pretty much what they want. You may ask your vet or the pet store if there's a product you can use in your garden that's safe for your child while it deters animals.

You might also have to break down and try putting a litter box out there to see if they'll use it. At least you'd know where the cat poos were if they use it.

It always aggrevates me to see cats roaming. You wouldn't let your dog loose to roam the neighborhood while you're at work - the same should go for your cats.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Cooper said:
It always aggrevates me to see cats roaming. You wouldn't let your dog loose to roam the neighborhood while you're at work - the same should go for your cats.
Wish someone would convince some of my neighbors about that. There are several large dogs in my neighborhood that run loose all the time, and of course they just love my yard as their "toilet" area. Not to mention the cats that roam around. I've called animal control several times - does no good at all as I'm not in the city limits and the county is not very good about enforcing the rules. Grrrr....

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I think that it's ridiculous that they let their cats do that but they are cats and they are almost impossible to control.

I would keep bugging them about it because no one wants their son playing in cat poop. If you are renting, do you share the same landlord? I would bring it up to the landlord if they aren't trying to fix the situation.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
In UK there have been several cases whereby people have taken Cat owners to court, but the cat owners get away with it as the judges have said that Cats are free to roam and there isnt anything you can do about them. One neighbour here is 92 and has loads of cats we had the back garden patio'd allover so they dont go to toilet there anymore but they do go out front and in a communal flower garden which they use as a toilet and then walk back home round the corner :evil:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Last summer we had like 20 cats here in the park and they all roamed free.. the park owners got mad about them because they would walk into other peoples homes and one day a cat walked inot the studio apt next to the office and it went to the toilet all over the apt.. the guy who lived there at the time got really mad and told the owner that if the cats didn't' get under control he was going to huiunt them all down and take them away himself... well about a week later he had caught 2 of themt o take them to the humane sociaty<SP> and the owner of the park just happen to be here at the time and saw the guy put the cats in his car and she asked him what he was doing he told her and she got mad and told him she will take care of it... she wrote a letter to everybody and told them that theire cats have to be on leashes or indoors... they could make a smal cage for them if they didn't like the leashes... but they were not to be let roam any more...

since then all the people with all the cats moved... except one... her cat comes around every so often... he likes to pick fights with my neighbors kittens...

we have no problems with cats now...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I wish people could get it through their thick skulls that letting their pets roam the streets is not only dangerous for the pets and others but it is also how we end up with so many feral cat colonies and homeless animals.

I would definitely complain to the landlord if there is one - if it were me, I would probably gather up all the cat poo and put it in a paper bag in front of their door every day.

I just get steamed when I see people not taking responsibility for their own pets. They wouldn't let their kids poop in your garden - their cats shouldn't either.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
talk to the landlord and see what he/she can do about it. i think its really rude that they're letting their cats do that. not only is it disgusting, but its hazardous. cat poo can spread a disease called taxoplasmosis.

and please, don't buy any more cat repellents, because they DO NOT work...my MIL spent about $75 total on different cat repellents to keep her cat off the beds, and none of them worked, not to mention most cat/dog repellents stink really bad, which would make you think that these cat/dog repellents can repel people too :lol:

if these people won't listen and continue to leave their cats outside, maybe you could try putting some canned tuna fish in an area away from your garden. start doing that every day and maybe the cats will get used to the idea of having tuna at that spot and will wait there for it and not go in your garden. i know its not fair that you should have to spend your money to keep these people's cats away from your area, but maybe it will work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts