Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Just wondered how many of you have introduced your chi's to cats? I would like to introduce Zola to my cat next door as it is always in my house and don't want to push her out when he comes in. Just how any of your experiences went with this and if you think it's a good idea. After he's had all this jabs and stuff of course. I wonder how to go about it also?

Thanks
*Vicky*

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Before i bought Deano i already own a cat. I have never had a Chi before but had a manchester terrier and a pug. The cat was always fine with the two other dogs but they died at christmas and i got got deano shortly after, as my mum has been wanting a chihuahua now for several years. The cat, for some reason weather it is because deano is smaller than her thinks its ok to attack deano and try to scratch his head when i am not looking. I don't really know what to do because i dont want to force them together but i dont really want them to be left alone together. i would love it if my cat accepted deano, but its proving very difficult. Deano wants to play and be friends but my kitty likes to be left alone. They are getting better but Deano used to sleep with 2 cats at his previous home and loves to snuggle up with them but my cat is not having any of it. We never leave the cat out in anyway we try to let them mingle and play witht hem both equally and praise them equally but its becoming more difficult than thought. My Chi is great with cats though!
I think it would be a good idea to introduce them and see if they can be friends, the cat may think why is that dog intruding o my property at first! so you have to watch out incase the cat or your Chi don't approve of it! Deano just chooses to run under my legs or hide his face. He keeps a clear distance most days when the cat has its grumpy days. I think you can only try and see what happens :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Always keep in mind that a small cat could rip a large chi to shreds in seconds.

Thankfully, the dog/cat situation works well for me. Fraiser's brother and best friend is a 12 year old Burmese - Henry.

About introducing them and/or leaving them alone unsupervised... Think about size. Even if they love each other lots, your chi can still get hurt if he/she is really small. Frasier and Henry play like they're maniacs. I allow this because I know that Henry is not going to intentionally hurt Frasier and Frasier is big enough to sustain any accidental injuries that might occur.

I was very careful when I first got Frasier because he weighed 5 lbs and Henry weighed 9 lbs. Now Frasier is almost at 8 lbs.

Here they are..

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
watch the claws with your chi's eyes. that is the only thing i worry about. chiwi got to see cats all the time when i was bringing her to work, she stayed in the cat kennel and she actually made a little kitty friend.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Zeus came into this house with 2 cats already living here. For the first few weeks, I carefully watched everyone (baby, zeus, and the cats). If I couldn't watch them, he either went in the kitchen with the baby gates or his crate. The cats somehow knew the kitchen was off limits when he was in there. If he got too close to them, they would hiss at him, but they were never aggressive with him. Today, Zeus will chase them around the house until one cat, JD, gets mad, then she turns around and chases him and he doesn't like that. Fortunately, both cats are now declawed after JD destroyed 2 Italian leather couches and I tried everything in my power to get her to stop scratching. My Hemingway cat is declawed due to health reasons.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
nemochi said:
nver had any problems Nemo was on my pillow and Mina (my bengal) was on the end my bed
waauw a bengal ......i really like those!!

my sphynx is very gentle for my dogs ...she's the washing machine :D
but a sphynx is not an outdoor wild cat...they don't have that cat instinct !!

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I have 2 cats, so when I had my chi they all had to learn to deal w/ each other. My black cat Eerie and Mikey(chi) got along great but my cat Chloe hated Mikey. SO he couldn't go near her. She would never attack, she would just hit at him w/ her paw. Both of my kitties are declawed though so that's not a big deal.
Now w/ Kismet, both cats hate her..so she knows to stay away from them :lol:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
We got Cooper before we had a cat. One day I opened the door and this grey cat that I'd seen around came running in. I was scared he would scratch at Cooper, but I held Cooper and watched them close - they just sniffed at each other and in about a minute, the cat was headlocking Cooper and they were rolling around playing together, it was the sweetest thing. (My cat is FULL of sweetness!) From then on, I adopted the cat and they became best friends. Although I had to take cooper to the vet once because in the middle of a play-fight, the cat scratched Coopers eye on accident, Cooper was squinting a lot so I took him in but he was fine. He was just being a big baby. lol. Just be careful of the dogs eyes.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I really wish Zeus and my cats were buds, but Zeus is buds with our ferret. In this picture, my daughter is feeding Stinky (the ferret) some Linatone and Zeus wanted in on some.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
That is so cute! Does Zeus and the ferret play together? Does your cat like the ferret? I really want a ferret - but I'm afraid I wouldn't have enough time for one.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
CooperChi - Yes, Zeus and Stinky play together under strict supervision. Zeus gets so excited sometimes, I'm afraid he's going to step on Stinky and Zeus is 10 pounds. The cats are fine with the ferret as well. They will smell him, then walk away. They don't really play though.

Stinky is the best ferret I could ask for. He's a Marshall ferret. When I went to pick out Stinky, I played with all the available ferrets to get a feel for their temperment. Although all the ferrets were babies, Stinky was the only one that didn't nip. Seven years later, he has never bitten anyone. He's so lovable and I've trusted him with my daughter from day 1. He's really not a lot of maintance. He gets a weekly bubble bath that he absolutely loves. Even though he is descented, as he ages, he's quite smelly if he doesn't get regular baths. For treats, he loves yogurt drops. He get 2 a day. He also gets a daily 1/2 tsp of Linatone for his coat. I take him out daily and he's litterbox trained. If I can't watch him closely, I'll put him in the bathroom with his cage door opened so he can go potty. He use to be in a 3 tier cage, but I had to downsize it when we moved because his cage wouldn't fit in my car and after 7 years, the cage had seen it's day. Now, he's in a 1 tier cage, but comes out daily for excercise and play. You can train them to go on ferret leashes, but Stinky never quite got the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have 3 cats Roxy, Louis and Sophie-Banana at first they didnt like Jack but once he became art of the family everyone is cool with each other!

·
Registered
795 Posts
In a few weeks I'm going to be experiencing the Cat and Dog issue. Lori and I live together and we have 2 cats each, but all 4 cats generally get along, they have fun together. I'm kinda scared to introduce the puppies to them. Cats are so unpredictable.... My cat aspen I think will get along with my chi great, she did well and my moms with her 5 dogs which 2 of them were chi's. But not so sure bout the others. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts