Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've never posted to a discussion list before--just tried and not sure it went through. I'll try again: My family is thinking about getting a chihuahua puppy. We have 4 cats. My husband is worried that the cats will hurt the puppy. We know that the process of socialization won't be instant, but does anyone have experience w/multiple cats & a chihuahua?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have 5 outdoor cats and the reaction to my Chi puppy has been different with each. But on the whole the puppy enjoys playing with them. IF you have a cranky matron cat that doesn't like to be held- she will generally run or attack the puppy just to teach it to stay away- that will generally be the end of that interaction. If you have younger under a year old cats they like to play with the puppy since they are still in the tumble and chase stage. Hope this helps.

Davena

·
Registered
250 Posts
We have 4 indoor, mature cats and Pearl has learned what they will tolerate and what they won't. 3 of the cats ignore her and avoid her, but one of the males will play "chase" with her. None of them will allow physical contact yet, and Pearl has been batted a few times when she has gotten too close, but Pearl learned quickly what the boundaries are! I was concerned at first that Pearl would get hurt, but now I see that everything has worked out fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts