Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I just wondered if you've used or encountered any problems with Certifect.
I'd also like to know what flea treatment you recommend?

I live in England and I used a flea treatment on mine for the first time recently. (They didn't have fleas, but as it's been so hot here, I thought it was time to do it as a prevention). I got Certifect from the vet. On the packet, it said the side effects could make them drowsy for a couple of days.

But Romeo threw up, wouldn't keep his food down and slept non stop. He is usually totally hyper by nature! I phoned the vet up who said to give it another day. But it didn't get any better so I took him in and they gave him 3 injections because he was so poorly.

Pax is bigger than Romeo and he didn't throw up, but was not himself and slept for days not wanting a walk.

It was devastating and heartbreaking to see them like that.

I've googled the product and see that Huskies have reacted badly to it.

I've contacted the company and nobody has got back to me.

I don't have 'proof' that this was the Certifect, but .........

Anyway, just wanted to warn you and also see if anyone else had any similar issues.

Also wanted to know what flea treatment you use.

Rach

xxx

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I use vectra 3d. It is a topical treatment tha prevents and kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. I do not know if it is available in the uk.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Bloody Nora, talk abbout an open admission to all & sundry that your product is as toxic as hell because it's going to make the recipient of it drowsy "for days" - a "new product from Frontline", hmmm well I sure as heck hope they do not bring the stinking stuff over here. They need their butts kicked good & hard these people, for all the pain, misery & heartache they cause:

A quick google of dog reaction certifect reveals ChiChi is far from alone in this: Certifect - Google Search

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bloody Nora, talk abbout an open admission to all & sundry that your product is as toxic as hell because it's going to make the recipient of it drowsy "for days" - a "new product from Frontline", hmmm well I sure as heck hope they do not bring the stinking stuff over here. They need their butts kicked good & hard these people, for all the pain, misery & heartache they cause:

A quick google of dog reaction certifect reveals ChiChi is far from alone in this: Certifect - Google Search
It really disgusts me that the company won't contact me back.

I always try to do what's best for my boys. I've left it quite a while to give them flea treatment - because I don't like unecessary chemicals going into them because they are so tiny - especially Romeo who already has to take painkillers every day and he's only 11.5 months. :-(

Of course I can't prove it was the Certifect that caused the reaction - but i have no idea what else it could be? I work from home and vigilalant at monitoring them...

I only decided to give them a flea treatment because the weather has been so hot in England and they love their walks, so I just wanted them to be protected.

But to see my crazy, hyper, loony baby who is always running around with a sock and always wanting somebody to throw it for him to chase ... the complete opposite was so distressing for me and him... And for Paco to not even have the energy to get out of his chair ... I'm paranoid at the best of times ... but it was just awful.

Like I say, I can't prove it was this product, but I wanted to make you aware that potentially this was the reaction of this product and I certainly won't be using it again.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Of course it would've been that product. Many, many years ago I sprayed my dogs with a spray-on because I had to put them in kennels for a few days. I seem to think it was Frontline but can't be sure - following "destructions" to the letter and whilst away got a call from kennels saying "Dogs nearly dead, think they've got ticks". I raced back & rushed to vet .... loss of movement back legs, pooing across the room with accuracy an olympic shooter would be jealous of. The Vet was highly alarmed, couldn't find a tick & wanted to give me $800 each shots for tick anti-venom bla, bla, bla. Eventually he & I worked it out - it was the top selling, all singin', all dancin', super expensive, state of the art flea killer! They didn't want to know, hands over ears singing "la, la, la, la".

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course it would've been that product. Many, many years ago I sprayed my dogs with a spray-on because I had to put them in kennels for a few days. I seem to think it was Frontline but can't be sure - following "destructions" to the letter and whilst away got a call from kennels saying "Dogs nearly dead, think they've got ticks". I raced back & rushed to vet .... loss of movement back legs, pooing across the room with accuracy an olympic shooter would be jealous of. The Vet was highly alarmed, couldn't find a tick & wanted to give me $800 each shots for tick anti-venom bla, bla, bla. Eventually he & I worked it out - it was the top selling, all singin', all dancin', super expensive, state of the art flea killer! They didn't want to know, hands over ears singing "la, la, la, la".
Oh, poor babies. :-( ... I hate all this strong chemical. Romeo is coming up for his first booster now and I've been reading the other thread which comments on this... lots of decisions...

I hope the company gets back to me next week. I'm not letting this go until I've spoken to somebody... I want answers and I want to TELL someone the effect their product has on chis.

xx

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You mean booster for immunisation? You know you can get a titer's test done and if it shows he has anti-bodies then there is absolutely no need whatsoever to get him done? Those "boosters" are a crock, once a dog is immunised, it's immunised - there's no grey area, it's black or it's white, a dog is immunised or it's not!!! Their anti-bodies can go up & down like bleedin' yoyo's depending on their exposure levels to various viruses. Best thing to do before a titers test is to take them to all the dog parks, pet stores etc. you can to get their anti-bodies as high as possible for the test to see how they're tracking, high or low.

Do a bit of research on titers tests, also spelt titres I believe, depending on where you're from, some pronounce it "tighters" & others pronouce it "teeters". There's a heck of a lot of us here who won't immunise until titers say we NEED to because there's no antibodies present but if they've ever had even 1 set of puppy shots they should be immunised providing they weren't too young & still under mum's :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mean booster for immunisation? You know you can get a titer's test done and if it shows he has anti-bodies then there is absolutely no need whatsoever to get him done? Those "boosters" are a crock, once a dog is immunised, it's immunised - there's no grey area, it's black or it's white, a dog is immunised or it's not!!!

Do a bit of research on titers tests, also spelt titres I believe, depending on where you're from, some pronounce it "tighters" & others pronouce it "teeters". There's a heck of a lot of us here who won't immunise until titers say we NEED to because there's no antibodies present but if they've ever had even 1 set of puppy shots they should be immunised providing they weren't too young & still under mum's :)
Thanks Aussie Lass, I've been reading about titers on here and must admit I've never heard of this before, so I will have an afternoon googling - thanks for the advice.

Rach

xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts